I think I might be stuck here...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Kyle, Apr 2, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Kyle

Kyle New Member

Hi this is my first post here and I need some help. I did the P.Schyler quest by killing the brothers and finding the invoice for the ring. The problem now is that I can't get into the Bates mansion. My quest page says that I still need to find the owner of the ring too.

I think what happened is that because I did the encounter with the Schyler brothers a few times (trying the various ways and loading the game after) I forgot to read the note saying who the owner of the ring was when I finally decided to kill them.

I picked up the note and know I am sure that I threw it away in a garbage can. I did this a couple weeks ago in game time so I don't think I can get the note back.

The Appleby guy won't talk to me and either will the mansion gate guard. Can anyone think of anything I can do? Will the game even delete things vital to the storyline like the note?

Sorry for the long post btw :smile:

Kyle

2. Milo

Milo New Member

Heya Kyle, welcome.

Regarding the P.Schuyler note, I think this is considered a quest item and won't disappear from the trash cans. So if you can remember which can you threw it in, it should still be there.

If the note really is gone for good, then I think the only option is to restart. Or you could backdoor your way into the Bates mansion and try to skip ahead in the story line. That might work. If you're dead set against restarting, then I suppose it's worth a try.

3. Kyle

Kyle New Member

Thanks for the advice. Fortunatly I am a compulsive saver so I wont have too completely restart, just redo quite a bit :smile:

I'll put on my plastic gloves and star rumaging through the garbage. If that doesn't work I'll try breaking into his house.

Kyle

4. Orlon KA-Lor

Orlon KA-Lor New Member

Have you tried to go see him. The guard at the gate should give you a quest for saving the engine factory. You can also kill Applby and take the servant clothes. You can sneak in through the mousolium(sp?) in the graveyard and that will get you there too. DON'T storm his manion unless you are prepared to wip eout most of tarant. Let us know how goes the dumpster diving :grin:

5. Orlon KA-Lor

Orlon KA-Lor New Member

Oh yea I think I'll double post and piss somebody off just to welcome you to the forum. I relativley new too. Its a pretty nice palce. Look for Vlad to come in some time soon too. :grin:

6. YeaYea2001

YeaYea2001 New Member

7. Kyle

Kyle New Member

I tried sneaking in through the underground passage and wearing the servants clothes. That worked until I talked to Bates because my guy didn't know what to say. They attacked me then and I wiped them out and found Bates' journal. It explained everything but the ring quest didn't end (my guy must be pretty stupid not to figure out the connection..)

I ended up just loading an old saved game and going through it again.

Thanks for the suggestions

Kyle

8. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

First, talk people standing in alleyways until someone tells you about the Thieve's Guild.

Then, go to the far southwest corner of Tarant and talk to the man in the building there. He'll give you a quest for the Thieve's Guild. IF you complete it, he'll tell you about Appleby's request for someone to help him expose Bates.
    That will end up getting you into the mansion if you do it right, but it still might not help.

9. Eloc Knarfnos

Eloc Knarfnos New Member

Incidentally, even a "good" character can get the fate point for sneaking into the Bates mansion from the mausoleum. You can pickpocket the mausoleum key from Appleby without taking his quest and go through all the traps in the passage into the mansion. Once you're in you can either switch into servant's clothes and walk out, or simply return the way you came and go on about getting in to see Bates "properly" by first dealing with his factory saboteurs. Either way, the extra fate point is useful.

Our Host!