Thought provoking discussiuon about a Persuiasin Master...

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Proust, Mar 29, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Proust

Proust New Member

Ok, I really want to play through tha game as a Persuiason Master to be able to convince the ultimate bad guy (Kerdihan sp?) to leave the world and not wreck evil... The pborlm is I don't want to havea sissy ass fighter while I do this, so I thought of this character to play. The problem is I feel that I am spereading myself too thin and I want to conetrate on a few specific skills, one of them being presuiasion :smile:

Elf
    Foppish Elf (Dx-1 Persuiason+2)
    To learn skills: Bow, Dodge, Spot Traps, Pick Locks, Pick Pockets, Persuasion
    Spell college (I am an elf ya know...): Force (Wanna get that tight ass Disintegrate spell :wink: )
    Stats: Don't remember from the top of my head, but just take elf stats and apply the Floppish Elf background...

So WTF? I think I am spreading myself too thin cause I will also have to add points to stats (DX, CH, IN and the others...)

Please help! :sad:

2. SteveTheERB

SteveTheERB New Member

RE: Thought provoking discussiuon about a Persuiasin Master.

The points its going to take to get your Int up to 18 to get Disintigrate seem to be a bit much. You're not investing in any other Int based skills and are only doing one school of magic. Something might have to give and I think this is it.

3. Proust

Proust New Member

Ok, but don't forget about Prowling. Sneaking up to 5 meters to a critter and then blowing them awya is fun, healthy, and usefull!!!

Anyway, magic can go, that's good, but then I have 7 regular skills which i willh ave to raise, and that means... I will also have to raise DX, CH, and the stats for other skills (forgot whihc, don;'t have manual right now...)

It still seems like a lot, and anywa,y in what order should I leverl them?? I want top be at least mildly efficient thorugh out the whole game!

*sigh* Am I asking too muych from the game? :sad:

4. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

Drop Bow and Spot Traps.
    And why do you mention Prowling? It isn't on your list, and rightly so.
    Maybe drop Pick Locks, too. As an Elf, you have bad Tech Skills.
    That should leave you with more than enough CP's.

5. slagger21

slagger21 New Member

Nahh , i had a Master Persuasion , pickpocket , lockpick , expert Firearms and a great scientist ... 7 followers !

6. slagger21

slagger21 New Member

Nahh , i had a Master Persuasion , pickpocket , lockpick , expert Firearms and a great scientist ... 7 followers !

7. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

ok first of all definately drop, bow, spot traps and pick locks and replace them with force, (i never used disintergrate, it's a little hard to loot bodies when there's nothing left) white necro, obviously, and temporal (hasten will give you a definate advantage). there's about 65 cp's in the game so if you concentrate on these and your main stats you should have enough to do the J. O. B.

*edit* slagger, way to double post dude

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mrnobodie on 2002-03-30 01:24 ]</font>

8. Proust

Proust New Member

Eh...

Ok, so the only reason I chose to be an elf is because they had the Foppish Elf background. Otherwise any other background to suit my needs would be fine (sugestions?) I am playing Merwin Tumbelbroock right now (no, I didn't finish the game yet, lol :smile: )and the skills I mentioned have been really helpfull... Here's why: (btw, I am just debating, not trying to prove that I am RIGHT)

Bow: Even the primagemaes manual advised picking up a ranged combat option if you play a talker... Firemarms ifs good too, but it always seemed more complicated to me with the whole magic/tech crit. failure success for me. Bows just seem so much simpler

Dodge: Yeah, I don't think anyone disagreeed with this one? Didge kicks ass :wink:

Spot Trap: Eheheheh, ever try to crawl thorugh even the Wheel Clan (not to mention the Casltle of S'nfa(sp?) without this skill? I did, and I got my ASS blown to bits :wink: So since I can't make my followers use their skills (can't even get Virgil to lock pick for me, lol) I wil psot my own traps.

Prowling: On low levels and when I am using (as Merwin) the (kick-ass pre=patch) Looking Glass Rifle, I want to get as close as I can to wallop the baddy for 40 damage! Eh, yes I agree it may not be as important, but from what I heard (in-game) when you gain Master, you can actually prol IN COMBAT ( @.@ ) and enemies will loose sight of you

Lick Locks: Like I said I can't make Virgil Pick locks even when I give him pics, and so far (as Merwin) tis skills was handy

Persuasion: I want to 'sell refirigators on an ice-flow' ya know :wink:

Pick POckets: Need the mula... Plus some quests are a pain in the ass without this skill...

On spells? Why train in 3 collages? You can only get master in one, that was usually my phylosophy... But yeah, force and temporal are good choices for me. Why necro? I go virgil and jeyna (stlyes) for healing/potions...

So yeah... Ummm... I am still tryong to work out a combo... Most importantly, when should I level what? (approx) so I won't suck completely for a portion of a game cause I skimped on talking and/or combat skills.

Thank ye! Good god if I have ever met a more patient/loving/caring/fan based board! I think I am staying here! :smile:

9. Orlon KA-Lor

Orlon KA-Lor New Member

Well if you are going to do the pick-pocket thing then all you need to do is buy/steal scrolls of sence invisible traps. I mad a master mage(i had like 4 or 5 colleges maxed and master force) but the divination is a crappy college of magic. Just buy a few scrolls of spot traps and you are set. I got from one end of the black moutain clan to the other with one scroll and I picked up 3 or 4 off of the bodeies of tha assassinc.

As far as ranged skills go, throwing is better than bow and if you do magic it is ranged to. 3cps in fire gets you fireflasha nd that can wipe out most everything. 1 in black necro and you get the everfaithful harm. Once you master throwing and get the arial decap, you be all set as far as comabt goes.

Oh and willpower is what you need to get the higher magic classes not int. Int is for tech.

If you go magic get the unlockin cantrip, 2 co in conveyance. Its is far better and only uses 2 2cp. Be warned though it is loud as hell

10. Proust

Proust New Member

You know that just might do it... A MAGE, Persuasion master! Afterall most mechanical/munane skills can be found via spells. And yes Fireflask kicks *ASS*

w00t!!!

11. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

virgil and janya are good as healers but that's about it IMO, you should have dog so you don't need another fighter, so get either sogg or chukka as mules, being as their so strong they can carry a LOT more then other char's in your party. the only college i mastered was temporal as i always had hasten going and it's cheaper that way.

12. Bralkein

Bralkein New Member

I made a persuasion character once, he was pretty good. You don't even need to be good at combat you see, because there always seems to be another way round!

Take the Shrouded Hills bridge for example. As a persuasion character, you can convice Lukan that he's trespassing on Theives' Guild territory, and you can actually convince him to give you 200 coins to clear his name and leave! Another funny thing you can do is convince the Molochean Hand random-encounter assassins that they've got the wrong person! Even though they are weak as hell, it's worth doing that just cause it's so hilarious!

Although it's probably not a good idea to TOTALLY forgo combat, unless you want to level really slow, and spend ages and ages stuck everytime you have to fight anything :smile:

13. Eloc Knarfnos

Eloc Knarfnos New Member

After one game of my own (tech dwarf using Aerial Decapitator) and one with my wife (magick half-elf using Azram's Star) as master persuader/throwers I'm trying one as a charismatic (Charlatans Protege), persuasive Gnome Mage with absolutely none of most of the skills and only healing salve and fatigue from the tech side. For the first few levels I threw a bladed boomerang without any skill and just healed after the critical misses. I tried using a stolen fine revolver for a bit but, after instant death from a critical miss decided the boomerang was safer. The in-character excuse being that I was a naive pre-mage too stupid to know any better. By about level 5 I had a point to spare for Harm, which is awesome for distance offence. By something like 15 I had the constitution to support Bolt of Lightning which is another fine spell for distance combat. Now at level 23 (after burning up a bunch of armor in Chris' Isle of Doom mod) I'm about to get Disintegrate and with five followers preemptively clean out the Boil.

My point being, if you're going for a highly magickal character, you don't even need melee, throwing, or bow. Dodge might be nice, but so far I haven't had any points to spare for it. If you're going the master persuader route, getting expert early is useful. Intelligence potions can get you through some dialogues (and tech manual usage) before you have the points otherwise necessary. We've had to postpone high intelligence longer than we'd like in favor of dexterity (since even with 1st fire spell and potion of haste it's hard to get enough turns to level up efficiently), constitution (to support lightning) and strength (to overcome starting out too wimpy to walk and wear anything worthwhile). Now the debate is which followers to end up with, since their limitations are some of my main disappointments of the game...

Our Host!