Technologist Healing Trouble

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Bralkein, Apr 1, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Bralkein

Bralkein New Member

Okeydokey. I have completed Arcanum with a Gnomish mage (Gnome!), and a Half-Orc warrior/mage. While I liked the game a lot, I did not find the characters I had made so interesting.

The Gnomish mage was a bit single minded (destructive magic, heh), and my warrior mage managed to max melee/dodge, and get arcane plate, arcane sword and force shield very early on, and basically he just obliterated everything and was almost immune to damage (95% DR), so I was thoroughly bored with him by the end of the game.

After looking at the various schematics my characters had acquired, I began to get interested, so I made a human idiot savant technologist/gunslinger (check the sig :wink: ). Although he was a bit challenging at first, he has matured into quite a dangerous customer, sporting such technological masterpieces as the Tesla Gun, Blade Launcher, and Mechanical Gun.

However, there comes a problem with 100 tech aptitude. That problem being a distressing faliure frequency when receiving magickal healing from the ever-useless Virgil. Unlike my other games, Virgil is unable to play his important role of "healing bitch". I have both Virgil and the healer woman from Dernholm, and neither of them can use the healing skill effectively, and without using 40 bandages to heal me from 1 hitpoint to 86.

"Healing Salve!" I hear you cry- but alas, my supplies of ginka root ant kadura stem run ever low. I must spare every drop of it. I find myself frequenting inns far too often, and often I slumber for days upon the cold earth, trying to regain health.

I have got but one glimmer of hope. The medical arachnid. I am considering persuing doctorates in the schools of herbology and mechanisms in order to construct this fine metal beast. But I have one question for those technologists more experienced than I:- Will the medical arachnid alleviate my suffering? Or do you know of any other ways to help? Thankyou.

P.S. This is my first post here, be kind :wink:
    P.P.S. Bloody hell, that's one long post, a lot of waffle in there... please excuse me of it, it's 4.30 am :p
    P.P.P.S. When I describe my old chars, I'm not boasting, honest :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bralkein on 2002-04-02 04:12 ]</font>

2. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i have decided to tackle your problems... here goes...

you can buy ginka root/kadura stem/healing salves at every herbalist/general store... the medical arachnid won't work unless you get otto's patch (for more info on that, use the search button), and even then, there's more reports of the arachnid being useless than anything else... if you're still hell-bent on using the thing, you can get one as part of a caladonian quest, there's no need to purchase the schematic... and there's nothing wrong with spending days asleep... it's not like you incur any penalties for taking 30 years to complete a quest...

and, uh...

WELCOME!!!! :wavey:

3. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

off the point, but personally I have had problems with the time factor when playing non-conveyance characters, because my blessings run out. (one year or so i think for the minor ones). i suppose that's one area where arcanum differs from other games substantially. and if you have four blessings from different four corners of the map, well, headache :smile:

the elves are in the fairy-tale now, but they are blind to it. Would the fairy-tale be a real fairy-tale if it could see itself? Would everyday life be a miracle if it went round constantly explaining itself?

Maya - Ace of hearts.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tzehoong on 2002-04-01 16:54 ]</font>

4. Bralkein

Bralkein New Member

Ouch, that's bad, I was hoping you wouldn't say that about the healing salves... it's hard enough having to buy all my bullets and charges etc anyway... guess I'll have to tinker up a few more perception goggle thingies to sell :sad:

Thanks for the help though. Hopefully one of my followers will get max heal skill soon... either that or I'll have to ditch them and get some figter types instead :wink:

5. Piter

Piter New Member

i haven't any problems with the medical arachnid even without otto's patch.

i think it has more to do with your tech/magic aptitude. In my games, it doesn't work for mages, but works fine for technologist.

6. Bralkein

Bralkein New Member

Ooh! That's good news, thanks :smile:
    Well I also found another helpful solution to my problem, in the form of the healing jacket. When I previously made it I thought it was broken, because I didn't see that it uses charges, but now I have charges I've found that it works pretty good for recharging health. Although it's a bit annoying, because my best weapon is the tesla gun, and that uses 4 charges a shot, so if I don't buy enough charges, I run out of power for both :0

7. Lethran

Lethran New Member

Buy bandages. Give them to Virgil or Jayna and they will heal you. They even do scars.

8. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

your blessings shouldn't run out after a year... that might be a bug... and if you need more money, kill a couple shopkeepers in dernholm... that should give you about ten grand a shot...

9. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Virgil is practically useless to tech characters. He'll just collapse from exhaustion trying to heal you.
    Ditch him for Jayna.
    She even looks better.
    And she doesn't have his annoying voice.
    You can find her in the southern part of Dernholm.

10. Enclaver

Enclaver New Member

since your a technologist magic healing will not work on you that much, if at all, (as per the manua states)l. This is because you have too much of a technologist aptitude.

Hope that helps .

11. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Welcome to the forum, Enclaver :wavey:.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Etalis Craftlord on 2002-04-02 23:07 ]</font>

12. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

probably not, but we appreciate the effort behind it. really.

and, uh...

WELCOME!!! :wavey:

13. Enclaver

Enclaver New Member

14. Bralkein

Bralkein New Member

Well well, I downloaded Otto's medical arachnid fix, and now I have made my very own healing arachnid, and he is awesome :smile:

Thanks for the help guys

15. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

we but live to serve.

and post meaningless drivel. :grin:

Our Host!