Poison Damage, Fire Damage, Extra Damage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John R., May 9, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. John R.

John R. New Member

When a weapon has a PD of 10 - 20, does that mean it will eventually do 10 - 20 or it does that every hit? I'm thinking it means eventually...

2. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

that would be my guess as well

*monkey needs the demo*

3. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

4. Wojit

Wojit New Member

I've never seen a weapon with Poison Damage...
    Methinks I really haven't played the demo enough...

5. Zewy

Zewy New Member

Acronyms
    AC - armor class
    BE - beauty
    CH - charisma
    CN – constitution
    D - damage
    DR - damage resistance
    DX – dexterity
    ED - extra damage
    ER - electrical resistance
    FR - fire resistance
    FT - fatigue
    HT - health
    IN - intelligence
    MSR - minimum strength required
    PE – perception
    RNG - range
    ST - strength
    WP - willpower
    XP - experience points
    NP - noise penalty

this will help you out you can get magic weapons from the smith in town just sleep till morning and see if he gets a magic weapon they cost around 1000 gold

6. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

CRazy! lol, with my 56k modem i'd never get home my mail :smile:

7. Skorpios

Skorpios New Member

I THINK this is how poison damage works:

A poison weapon (or attack) inflicts say 10 points of poison damage to you.

This does no physical damage at this stage but gives you a poison level of 10.

Say you have a poison resistance of 50% - that knocks the poison level down to 5.

Now, every 'round' (I'm not exactly sure of the time period) the poison will inflict 5 points of damage on you - OUCH!

But there is good news! Another derived stat is 'poison recovery rate'. Say you have a PRR of 1 - then each round your poison level would drop by 1.

So if we look at the above example with a poison level of 5 the damage inflicted would look something like this:

round 1: 5 damage
    round 2: 4 damage
    round 3: 3 damage
    round 4: 2 damage
    round 5: 1 damage
    round 6: 0 damage - the poison is flushed from your system. 15 points from just one hit - impressive!

Of course, if the poison attack hits you again it would raise your poison level - thus meaning more damage for a longer period of time - this makes poison critters quite dangerous!

Not to worry though, there are both magick and technological antidotes to poisoning.

8. gridflay

gridflay New Member

Figures- in addition to poisoning you, your attacker forces you to remember how to sum factorials...

F'ing technology.

:wink:

9. Bad Buck

Bad Buck New Member

yeh id much prefer it if it just damaged ya every round an all this PRR makes it way too complicated for my simple brain to handle
    :smile:

10. Xerophyte

Xerophyte New Member

Correct me be I wrong, but isn't ED Electrical Damage?

11. Bad Buck

Bad Buck New Member

Xero according to the manual that came with the demo ED is Extra Damage

12. ratster

ratster New Member

ED is supposedto be electrical damage, and Skorpios' explanation is pretty accurate as to how poison damage works. Creatures don't heal from poison damage, so you can poison them and then just run away and wait for them to die from it.

13. Bad Buck

Bad Buck New Member

so is the manual definately wrong then Ratster?

14. Skorpios

Skorpios New Member

Hmmmm, so creatures don't have a Poison Recovery Rate? Are you sure? Or do you make sure they are so well poisoned that they die before they can flush the poison from their system? That tactic might not be so effective against high level creatures with lots of health and high constitutions.

Looking at NPC AI, I'm sure that a magick-using creature would use the Halt Poison spell if it knew it.

15. Bosse

Bosse New Member

As far as I have seen in the demo poisonlevels do NOT corespond to damage done per round. My char has been running around with poisonlevels of 70-90 several times, and let it wear of over time. Had to eat a couple of healing herbs though. (PRR=2).
    I believe that poisonlevel coresponds to how much damage is yet to be done if your PRR=1 or some such.

16. ratster

ratster New Member

Yeah, thats wrong BB, it shoud be ED = electrical damage.

17. Skorpios

Skorpios New Member

So - damage done by poison doesn't exactly match the poison level - is it proportional? A poison level of 20 does 4 damage, and a poison level of 10 does 2 damage? Something like that?

18. ratster

ratster New Member

Skorp- no damage doesn't equate exactly with the numbers showing, i.e. a poison level of 20 doesn't do 20 points of damage.

Anyway, when I said your explanation was correct, I didn't mean the exact numbers you were using , just the explanation of how poison damage works.

Yes, if an NPC had a way of curing themsleves I'm sure they would use it, the party(followers) NPCs do, so I wouldn't think it would be any different with other NPCs.

What I was reffering to was creatures(as opposed to NPCs), with no way of curing themselves. That doesn't mean they don't have any poison resistance mind you, but poison resistance won't save you if you are heavily poisoned.

BTW, my PC has died of poisoning on more than one occasion(even with healing drugs available, no poison cures though). Poison in Arcanum can be lethal

19. Skorpios

Skorpios New Member

No worries ratster - I understood that my numbers were just off the top of my head - I'm just trying to clarify how Poison Level actually works...

20. Anolis

Anolis New Member

Hmm, well personally try testing the first Chemistry level item, that Poison thingy. If I remember it gives you 3 bottles of 200 or 300 poison damage goodness. Far as I've ever seen Poison level is just how much damage it left to go through your system, though I've never used TB, only sticking to the real-time. Poison damage always seemed to occur at the same rate, but the amount in your system seemed to drop faster per point of damage it did depending on your poison resistance or what-not. Anyway, the big bottles of Poison take some time to kill anyone, but your can bet your boots it'll kill practically the toughest beasts that don't have a way to heal or cure themselves. Sure as heck'll help you in combat I think.

---------------------------------------------
    - Anolis, "Try it out yourself, I haven't done a lot of work with it since NPC tend to to hostile immediately and I got it only recently."

Our Host!