Improving Game Performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpleenFarmer, Mar 26, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. SpleenFarmer

SpleenFarmer New Member

First time poster, long time reader :smile:

I've scoured the forums looking for tips on improving overall gamespeed. I could have missed them or typed in the wrong search terms, in which case I apologize ahead of time and hope someone would point me in the right direction.

Otherwise, what have you found speeds up the game for you? I'm sick of watching my halfling run in slow motion across the board :smile:

Thanks ahead of time!

2. Milo

Milo New Member

Some things that worked for me were:
    • Clean out your task manager. End Task everything except for Systray and Explorer before you load up Arcanum.
    • Download a DirectX utility that lets you turn off sound debugging.
    • Defrag your harddrive

3. gamenut

gamenut New Member

Don't know. I've rarely had slowdown problems, and when I did, I just lowered some of the stuff in the options menu. Oh and welcome to the forum!!!

4. Mr. Mellott

Mr. Mellott New Member

I turn off 3D acceleration in DirectX and run Arcanum from the RUN directory. This helps alot

5. SpleenFarmer

SpleenFarmer New Member

Hmm, how do you do that? :smile:

6. Skie88

Skie88 New Member

whhellllll lets seeeee, I believe theres a thread regarding a directx applet, use it to disable directx sound (i believe), and it will improve performance a lot..It sure work..

search the forum for the site of the applet coz I forgot, Its been ages, Im getting really old..:smile:

-edit- Oooooooops Milo mentioned this already... damn, he always get the upperhand over me.. :sad:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skie88 on 2002-04-01 09:38 ]</font>

7. Skie88

Skie88 New Member

Here i dig this info for you, I hope this helps..Posted by Guess who..... MILO on Sept. 19, 2001..:smile:

Sorry Milo, Ill take the credits this time.. :smile:

RE : MAJOR slowdown in tarant Posted: 2001-09-19 07:30
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's that link:

http://www.gamevoiceclub.com/Download/dxapplet.zip

Unzip that into your Windows/System directory. Then go to Start --> Control Panel --> Settings. Click on the "Direct X" applet. Click on the Direct Sound tab, and move the little slider all the way to the left.

It helpled me w/the stuttering problem, and seemed to make the game run a little smoother.

Thanks go out to vesselle over at the Sierra Arcanum boards for posting that up.

Hope that helps!

Our Host!