Launcher of Blades (attn: otto)

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Horatio Hornblower, Mar 14, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Horatio Hornblower

Horatio Hornblower New Member

I've heard Otto K claim that the rifled cannon ignores damage resistance (which seems to be true). I was wondering if the blade launcher has similar properties or if it's just a bigger, slower, slightly more damaging and ammo intensive version of the elephant gun (ie it's a waste of time). the schematic description certainly does give one the impression that it ignores DR.

i preemptively welcome myself to the forum.

thanks in advance,

hh

2. Vlad the Imposter

Vlad the Imposter New Member

Sorry, preemption doesn't count.

"Welcome to the Forum, Horatio!" :wavey:

3. Horatio Hornblower

4. gamenut

gamenut New Member

Welcome to the forum!!! No, the blade launcher doesn't ignore the targets resistances.

5. Vlad the Imposter

Vlad the Imposter New Member

The fact that you knew I would be here tells me you have been lurking for a while.

6. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

The Blade Launcher doe NOT ignore DR. So yes pretty much a different kind of elephant gun. It may even be worse because it has projectile art so I'm guessing it would have a chance of hitting your followers.

I would just carry a Rifled Cannon with you and only use it when you run into something your preferred weapon isn't doing much damage too.

7. Horatio Hornblower

thanks guys...

oh well. i guess it can be added to the pile of totally useless gun schematics.

pile already includes: High velocity pistol (yay its a fine revolver, but worse!), acid gun (does it do anything?), repeater rifle, grenade launcher.

i guess the designers ran out of time or something. understandable.

i believe otto krupp's mod addresses some of these issues - although i find it alters the balance too much for my taste.

hh

8. gamenut

gamenut New Member

The acid gun seriously damages the enemy's armor. Useful aganist humans, but I don't think it is very useful against animals.

9. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

Horatio what do you think is unbalanced and why?

If you get the notes on proto editing you can change it to the way you want it. It's not hard at all once you know what the offsets are and I've got those listed. Theres quite a few free hex editors so it doesn't cost anything:)

10. Horatio Hornblower

i did not know that about the acid gun. nifty.

otto, i was not disparaging your modification. i agree with many of the changes you have made, especially making the repeater rifle, high velocity and charged accel. actually useful weapons. but these are obviously "broken" weapons and you have done a good job fixing them. i don't particularly agree with the range increases and the rather large damage gain on standard rifles. but my opinion is biased in that i play in real-time combat whereas you seem to be optimizing for turn based.

in RT combat guns only really suck (for a gunsmithy tech.) from about level 5 or so (when the fine revolver starts being a little ineffective) to level 15ish when you get the LG rifle. later on, the hand cannon and elephant gun are pretty potent in RT combat, especially once you get Master ranking. you can squeeze off a whole bunch of accurate, damaging shots before enemies even get close.

obviously this does not apply to turn based where monsters can get in your face instantly and trying to open up any kind of gap is next to impossible. this makes guns next to useless, so i guess cranking the range and damage on every gun would make more sense.

on the same note it seems that melee fighting is much more effective in turn based than RT (pyro-axe is merely OK in RT).

in any case, i do appreciate the work you're doing correcting various bugs and non-working items in the game. i also love the sound pack. so keep on hacking.

i know i could DIY (i've looked at your docs) but i deal with enough hex at work.
    if i did, i'd make the blade launcher ignore DR.

sorry for the long post. probably should've emailed it.

cheers.

hh

11. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

Absolutely no offense taken at all. I've just haven't really got any feedback on it so was merely curious as to what you thought.

I've tried RT for a bit and your right the difference is like night and day. If I could have found a way to increase movement to 2AP a tile I probably wouldn't have changed very much:)

Never did find what made RC ignore DR. I'm pretty certain its something in the proto as I renumbered another gun and put it in its place and it didn't ignore DR. Never found what determines if a weapon does or doesn't takes damage from a wood, metal, stone etc.

BTW did you notice the Repeater Rifle variant #1 and #2. They seem to be the same but it looks like at one point they had it using 1 bullet and doing 1-15pts of damage.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Otto Krupp on 2002-03-14 20:46 ]</font>

12. Horatio Hornblower

i really don't like turn-based in Arcanum as they seemed to have gone to such great lengths to make the rest of the game RT. people keep wandering around while you converse, you can't pause to check your inventory, or map etc. It seemed to interrupt the flow of the game whenever i went into combat mode and everything stopped. it is just a matter of taste, i guess. the fact that guns are actually effective in RT didn't really affect my preference.

of course, you end up not even knowing what the hell is going on half the time.

anyway. maybe i'll take a few minutes to noodle around with some .pro files. i would like to decode all of the flags/offsets. i _will_ make the blade launcher ignore DR. maybe i'll make a RT gun hack to complement your turn-based one. idunno.

cheers

hh

13. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

That sounds like a really good idea. You should do it.

The RT combat never caught my interest, 3 cheers for Fallout:) And I'm going to busy with another project so wouldn't have the time anyway.

14. gamenut

gamenut New Member

Agreed. Three cheers for the follout games.

Our Host!