Question regarding multiplay for Arcanum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aeacus, Mar 12, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Aeacus

Aeacus New Member

Couple of friends and I have been tossing around the idea of playing Arcanum multiplayer. I played around with a character to test things out and see how it went, but it looks like when I exit a game, my characters stats are saved but his equipment is not. Is there any way around this? It seems to greatly favor mages in such cases as this. Any responses are appreciated. Even the STFU n00b sort :smile:

2. Kozmo_Naut

Kozmo_Naut New Member

STFU n00b!!! :grin:

(Happy now???)

No, seriously, that's the way it was meant to be. If you could keep your equipment, you could just make an Ãœber-weapon in a mod of your own, and use it when you play with your friends, thus giving you an unfair advantage.

MP modmakers should be aware that they must remember to put "techie" items and components in their mods.

3. Vlad the Imposter

Vlad the Imposter New Member

As the self-appointed welcomer I would like to say, "Welcome to the forum, Aeacus!" :wavey:

4. Kozmo_Naut

Kozmo_Naut New Member

Oops, I seem to have forgot that...

Hello there, Aeacus!

I hope you have a great time here!!!

5. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

If you use the "Auto-Equip" option, or whatever its called exactly, your character will start some equipment based on their skills and levels. Don't expect much at low levels its usually the rusty stuff but its better than nothing.

If your a tech you'll also start with item made by the highest learned schematic you have in each discipline.

6. Aeacus

Aeacus New Member

Ah, ok then, so at least I won't always be starting with a crappy rusty bow at least. Can mods also be played MP as well?

7. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

OK first I think you should know the Multiplayer is generally regarded poorly.
    Its poorly implemented and on top of that tends to be buggy and crash prone although some of that may be in the modules themselves. I suspect the MP portion was added on to get the publishing deal with Sierra and not part of the original plan.

Case in point Hellgate, I've tried this one several times by doing the Network/Host Game thing. Every single time its crashed after about an hour. Had far better luck with Vormantown though so the modules have to be some of it.

Anyway back to your question. Modules can be played online if the author allowed that option. Vormantown comes with the game and at least 4 if not all of the mods in the Troika pack can be played online.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

8. Aeacus

Aeacus New Member

Cool, thanks very much for the replies. Greatly appreciated.

9. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

WHAT!? Where's Jinxed and his

"This will be moved to the correct forum shortly"

I think he's slacking off....

Oh, and welcome to the forum Aeacus! :paranoid:

Ewwww..... I think I'm feeling air sick... :puke:

--------------------------------
    Moo... Moo... I'm a Troika cow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarkUnderlord on 2002-03-13 18:23 ]</font>

10. Eloc Knarfnos

Eloc Knarfnos New Member

I have no idea what's available in multi-player having never tried it, but I as I play in single-player mode I've wondered how the chests and cabinets would behave. That is, in the single-player game you can store whatever stuff you want in a hotel or warehouse chest and have it there after you've saved and reloaded the game. I wondered if the stuff you stored there would be available to non-playing-characters who came across it, but apparently it's safe. So, I also wonder if such chest contents are accessible to other playing-characters in the multi-player game? If, before saving and quitting you removed all your stuff to a chest, would you be able to retrieve it later? It's probably just wishful thinking...

11. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I'm not moving this because it borders on the gameplay edge. It doesn't cross though. Never fear I'm always here. Ready to smity evil with my |337 H4><0r 5k1llz.

Our Host!