Dark Helmet *spoiler*

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Incubuspawn, Mar 11, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Incubuspawn

Incubuspawn New Member

Is this item suppossed to permanently change youre magick ap and alignment? Or only while it is worn?
    I ask because of how abuseable I Discovered it too be. Play an evil necromancer and have combat set to turn base. Then use this helmet untill youre magick ap is 100. Then realise that youre level 8 Necromancer's harm spell is killing level 35 characters in 2 or 3 cast. Because the turn base allways lets youre main character go first, we'll you see what I am saying. I stopped the turn based combat stuff as it made the game way to easy. Turn base is not balanced with real time by any means. So much for playing style.

Any way this dark helm can also be used to make Virgil heal with a 100 ap, And meat head has 100% use of magic weapons etc. Just do not ever put it on a techy or yourself if you are a balanced character. Ruined a good game just when I thought I was getting somewhere with that character type. I found out the hard way that the Magick aptitude is permanent as well as the alignment. This makes this item the single best or worse item in the game. Either a It makes a mage unstoppable or b it permanently ruins youre techy characters because the magick ap is no set to only when worn. The curse should have been just the alignment is permanent. oh well.

Are there any other items out there I should be concerned with or is this the only item that can ruin a game?

2. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

yeah, you're right about the dark helm, it can be a real bitch if your not paying attention to what you're doing the first time i used it i put it on and took it off a few times before i noticed my alignment shift. it was then i decided to turn my ultra-good char into a ultra-evil one (like i had a choice). the only time you need the dark helm is when you WANT to play an evil char, otherwise it's a pain in the arse

3. Incubuspawn

Incubuspawn New Member

Actually thats the least of it and it wont ruin a game. The Magick Ap is also permanent. Take a techy character or a character you are trying to balance and then the game is ruined as you are permanently stuck with that MAgick ap. On the other hand if you are a pure mage this item makes the game too easy, as is the harm spell with a 100 ap is too powerful especially if you are playing turn based. You can fix the alignment by doing good deeds. But unless there is an item that permanently changes tech ap or a curse remover somewhere in the game, that techy or balanced character is ruined.

4. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

yes i see your point, the char i was playing was magickal so i didn't notice the magick/tech apptitude change

5. LostSoul

LostSoul New Member

and more importantly, I had Z'an Aluren run away from me cos I wasn't evil enough while she wore the helmet :sad: (I had to equip the sword to have her rejoin me and take away all the goodies I stashed on her).

6. Incubuspawn

Incubuspawn New Member

At least that did not ruin the game o the point of starting all over again.

7. Memnoch91

Memnoch91 New Member

Ahhh....so that explains why my level 47 half ogre just dropped from 72 to -100 alignment in five minutes....

Our Host!