How About An Arcanum Movie? Who should make it? Who should b

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BortiiS_VoN_BortiiS, Mar 8, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. BortiiS_VoN_BortiiS

BortiiS_VoN_BortiiS New Member

I care.
    Okay, maybe just a bit.

I think they should make an Arcanum movie, cuz the setting and whole Arcanum "world" and all of that I think is really original. The story/characters in the game have alot of depth.
    Who should play who?
    -Who should play Gilbert Bates? Patrick Stewart? Sir Ian Holm?

-I think Guy Pearce (Memento, The Time Machine) would be a good Virgil.

-How about Milla Jovovich as Raven?

-Z'anal'urin (get it, "ANAL URIN!" did they do that on purpose?!) could be played by Wynona Ryder, don't you think?

-Arronax could be played by Pauly Shore (is it me, or do they look kinda similar?). Okay, then how about Greg Kinnear?

-Maybe The Rock could play Chukka? Or maybe he should be The Bane of Kree.

-For Min'Gorad ("Ming Orad!" Get it! Okay, that doesn't make any sense. Nevermind.), how about some musical artist in their first showcase "me-too" movie role? How about Pink?
    No? Okay, how about Juliana Margulies (the chick who was in ER and "Mists of Avalon")?

-Ben Affleck as Perriman Smythe? Or how about that Viggo Mortensen?

-How about William Shatner as Vollinger? HAHAHAH! No? Okay, well I dunno who to cast for dwarf/halfling/gnome roles (well, aside from maybe the guy from the Dungeons and Dragons movie, Lee Aronsberg or something like that).

Okay.
    And Frank Oz can do the voice of Kraka-Tur and Alec Baldwin could do the voice of Kerghan. Or, Clancy Brown could do the voice (even play) Kerghan (you know, the drill sergeant from Starship Troopers, in fact, he actually did voice stuff for Fallout and other games. He played The Kergan in the first Highlander movie, etc.).

2. Mael

Mael New Member

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

What a good idea¹!

¹Not a good idea.

4. gamenut

gamenut New Member

It would be hard and not a good idea. What character type would the main character be and do you realize how long the mivie would be? Would it be a half-ogre, an elf, a dwarf, a gnome, a halfling, or a human? And what gender would it be? See how hard making a movie of this size would take? And who would take on this job? The costs would probably require an international release just to cover up a little of the cost.

5. HexRei

HexRei New Member

it'll be the next "street fighter"!

6. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

not to mention the choice between good and evil paths...

7. Vlad the Imposter

Vlad the Imposter New Member

Yeah, that was a great movie!

Not!

8. enygma

enygma New Member

he turned mid air in a flying side-kick!!!!!!

:rotfl:

9. gamenut

gamenut New Member

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

The game or the movie? The movie sucked, no questions. The games were good at the time though...

11. gamenut

gamenut New Member

The movie. I liked the games some. They were too short and too easy though.

12. Kozmo_Naut

Kozmo_Naut New Member

If you liked the Street Fighter games, try playing a game called "Fatal Fury 3".

It's 2D, but it has sidestepping and everything, including some pretty sick "Tide Turner" moves.

I bought it a couple of weeks ago. It was bundled together with Battle Arena Toshinden, which is also a pretty good (3D!) beat-em-up game, although not as good as FF3.

EDIT: And I'm still waiting for someone to have the guts to make a Carmageddon movie...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kozmo_Naut on 2002-03-09 14:10 ]</font>

13. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

There were two Street Fighter movies (one animated and one using wooden figures). Which one did you dislike, or was it both?

14. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

There is alot more than one animated movie Sheriff. Do not forget that I watch anime. There is a whole series and a couple (maybe 3) movies.

15. Gonk

Gonk New Member

Making a movie of Arcanum would probably not be a good idea but a fantasy-movie set in the industrial age could be fun. Think of "Sleepy Hollow" for instance. Great movie! It would probably be possible to make a great movie out of "Thief" too.

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Tomb Raider would make a great movie! No, wait, it didn't...

17. Gonk

Gonk New Member

I think Tomb Raider is a quite funny movie as long as you don't take it seriosly. I expected much worse.

18. BortiiS_VoN_BortiiS

BortiiS_VoN_BortiiS New Member

UH.

Do I have to think of everything?

I think it would be a good idea to make an Arcanum movie. Crap, they made a Lord of the Rings movie. Alot of movies based on books and crap get made.

Let's see, the hero could be anything, I'd say maybe a Human (default in everything), and maybe a bit of a mature actor, 30-50 since alot of the game pics you can choose from seem like older characters (not the typical 20-something brash lad).
    Whatever. It doesn't really matter so much.

I don't think it would be a long movie, just leave out alot of the unnecessary side quests or alternate paths (like, leave out the quest to get the saboteurs in the factory-thing, for example).

Yes, I think it could be done, if you don't think so, then maybe that's cuz you simply lack the vision.
    Instead of looking at it as transforming a game to movie, think of making a movie based on the story in the game. Good or evil path?
    You want an interactive movie or something?
    A story about a dark and evil character, on that "dark path", looking for redemption?
    Or a movie about a guy (or gal, though I think guy would be better) getting caught up in some kind of secret conspiracy? You know, like, one of those "Why are they after me!"-kinds of movies, but it involves arcane magic and technology.
    I also think it would be ridiculous to think about how to put in all the characters of the game into the movie, usually, when a movie based on a game does that, it ruins and detracts from the rest of the movie, just look at the Mortal Kombat movies and Streetfighter. LAME! Trying to put everyone in instead of telling a story.

I think they should make it into a movie, or maybe even a TV-movie (that Halmi guy, who did Odyssey, Jason and the Argonauts, 10th Kingdom, that weird asian movie, and working on that Dinosauria or whatever, could do it), cuz I think Arcanum, as a movie, would be original and somewhat visionary.
    Crap, I mean, people made that Gormenghast into movie, they can make Arcanum into one too.
    I don't think it would have to be a big budget movie either, and I think people might be interested in seeing it, I don't think anyone has tried to do an original movie that blended old-tech/fantasy/magic before.
    Although, there have been some TV shows that flirted with the idea, like "Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World" and "Adventures of Jules Verne" (or whatever it's officially called) TV show.

In fact, I'd like to see a remake of "War of the Worlds", but based on the original story (Martians invading industrial-age Britain).

19. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

War of the Worlds...isn't that the two books which give an alternate history of World War 2 based on an alien invasion?

20. Zed Blacksword

Zed Blacksword New Member

Our Host!