Guns

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Incubuspawn, Mar 8, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Incubuspawn

Incubuspawn New Member

Well I am so far unimpressed with firearms. AT what point in the game do these actually become usefull?

2. HexRei

HexRei New Member

3. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

never unless you get any of the tesla combo's, there about the best imho.

4. pdsullivan

pdsullivan New Member

Oh, probably when you start making elephant guns and Droch's warbringers for everyone in your group. If your character, Vollinger, and Sebastian are each using one of these, whatever you are shooting at is in for a world of hurt. But the problem is getting a group of gunslingers together. Look in the hacking/modding forum. I've got a post there where people have given instructions on how to alter follower's autoleveling schemes.

5. Vlad the Imposter

Vlad the Imposter New Member

The mechanized gun is OK. You put up a lot of lead fast. Also, the higher your perseption and firearms skills are the better guns are.
    BTW, aren't you trying to make a "balanced character"? That could be part of the problem. Guns work better for high tech abilitied characters.

6. BAS11

BAS11 New Member

My current char is a techno throw/ explosives/ gunslinger. I believe I'm about level 13 or 14, Expert in Guns with whatever PE is necessary to achieve that rank. My tech apt is definately over 50 and I think maybe closing in on 70.... I have a decent (2nd or 3rd rung) rifle.

In any case, I find I am still using my cheap-o boomerang more than the gun. I am still quite capable of missing a (nonmagical) target at point blank range in daylight with the rifle. Plus bullets are a pain to restock (though I just bought the schematic to make them). Boomerang seems to hit with much more frequency and at MUCH longer range. More hits = more EXP.

I am going to continue down the same path in hope and anticipation of later guns (elephant et all) being much better. I agree, though, that up to this point in the game guns have not served me very well.

7. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

BAS11 you should raise your Firearms skill first. It doesn't matter how good the gun is if you never hit the target. Keep in mind the majority of the battle you will be fighting are in poorly lit areas so you'll have a lot of negative modifiers to overcome.

Don't forget the Rifled Cannon it ignores the targets DR. Makes it very effective against certain monsters. Wouldn't reccomend for general use but its good to have along for whenever you do run into a tough one like Ore Golems and their kin.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Otto Krupp on 2002-03-08 15:43 ]</font>

8. BAS11

BAS11 New Member

Thanks Otto.

What I meant to say was that I was already an Expert rank in Firearms...

I AM wondering though if I should reinvision and start putting points into Gunsmithing. I remember from my first character finding some good guns that I couldnt use, so I just figured my new guy could focus on explosives/ electrial and grab those guns when he finds them or buys them...

Is this a sound approach or are the best guns gonna be ones I need to build myself?

(Wooohooo! This post graduates me to "Apprentice" on this board!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BAS11 on 2002-03-08 16:42 ]</font>

9. Gladius

Gladius New Member

Guns seem useles to me. I have seen the Elefant gun (Franklin Payne has one) and it does the same damage like Aerial Decapitator, but it is much slower and requires amunition. And none of these compare to Magic.

10. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

I'd say the ones you make are better but you can find a lot of them.

Theres at least one or two Looking Glass Rifles.

Payne has an Elephant Gun.

If you get a "fix" Maxim will make you a Mechanized Gun whenever you bring him the parts.

You said you had explosives skill so you might consider switching to bows and using the Pyrotechnical Bow. Once you hit Expert in Bow it does a lot of damage. That and arrows are cheaper than bullets but not as plentiful. Bows are silent too.

11. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

IMHO, points in Gunsmithy are wasted. The best gun in the game is made using a found schematic, and you can use Tech Manuals to boost your skill In Gunsmithy to make it.

12. Raziell777

Raziell777 New Member

High perception and sniper rifle are DEADLY combination.But,the main problem about guns is its amunition.You always need to check your bullets amount and I think that 1 bullet costs 20 gold.That isn't so much -you think.But,what when you are buying 400 or more bullets and your race is half-orc and prices for your kind are sky-high.

13. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

where are you buying bullets? they only cost me 3 coin a piece...

14. Raziell777

Raziell777 New Member

For me...4 gold each. You know,my character have reaction +3 or +4 and beauty of 9.So,my reaction is low..OK,but bullets cost much(if we are talking about high amount - 200 or more bullets)

15. BAS11

BAS11 New Member

So...I am now level 22 and have pickpocketed a Looking Glass rifle.

For the first time I am starting to do some actual damage.

If you have a poor reaction, I'm an evil half-orc betrayer of Bates so I sure do especially in Tarant, just buy the "Bullets" schematic. It will save you tons of cash in the long run by allowing you to make them... although I still can't imagine ever running out of $$$.

16. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i've never "run out of cash", per se, but i bought bates' mansion, then wanted to buy a ship, and i didn't have the cash... ugh.

17. Mr. Mellott

Mr. Mellott New Member

When I buy Bates mansion or the Boat I always kill the person I bought it from and get my $$ back. I even do this when I play a good character, thats just TOO much money to lose! Yeah I know Im greedy :smile:

Our Host!