Fortifier bug & Ore Golem/Seething Masses bug

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Eloc Knarfnos, Mar 8, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Eloc Knarfnos

Eloc Knarfnos New Member

These are two features/bugs that have probably been expounded upon previously, but searching the archives is time away from the game... They are ones I've run into even after installing the 1.0.7.4 patch and led to a couple frustrating hours perhaps others can avoid.

It seems, though I haven't yet rigorously verified, that an earlier problem I ran into where Virgil's reaction suddenly switched from a courteous 63 to a hatred of -1000, was due to a problem with the fortifiers that I make with a found schematic. At least, that's the common link between the occurrences in the Black Mountain Mine, Ancient Tomb, and Wheel Clan Dredge. The symptom was that I'd see a big fight coming, or be going into one after reloading, and use the fortifier on my PC Dwarf as well as Virgil. We'd get through the fight, if somewhat the worse for wear and then while we were quietly looting, or even just standing there doing nothing, Virgil would attack. The final clue was that when I fortified two followers, they both attacked while the third who was too tough to need fortification, stayed on my side. It seems that when the fortifier wears off, it's like a charm spell and whatever you gave it to takes an active dislike to you. I haven't tried yet to make sure that the fortifier is OK at least for use on just my PC, but I think it probably is or I would have noticed the problem more easily.

The second problem is that in the Wheel Clan Dredge my followers don't do any damage at all to Ore Golems or Seeting Masses. They swing silently and now an then have a critical failure, but never do any harm to the creature at all. In the Black Mountain Mine their weapons would take serious damage, but they would also make short work of the Golems. Fortunately, a couple dozen molotov cocktails will get the group past the problems with little difficulty.

2. Raziell777

Raziell777 New Member

I'm not familiar with that bugs.I have the same patch that you have and all's working fine. Try reinstalling the game.

3. Incubuspawn

Incubuspawn New Member

I have discovered that the or golen is vurtually immune to the balanced sword. Perhaps other tech weapons as well. I have no knowledge of the other problem though.

Er me type like Gar.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Incubuspawn on 2002-03-08 13:17 ]</font>

4. pdsullivan

pdsullivan New Member

Well, it could be that they weren't doing damage b/c the ore golems/seething masses do have a generous damage resist. But unless they just went melee inept I don't know why they weren't hitting, hmm...

5. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

The Ore Golem has a fairly high AC and DR. It also has a high magic rating,for a monster, so you need to have a high tech rating and/or a high-tech weapon or it will be very hard to hit. Even when you hit it they are hard to damage and do damage to most melee weapons.

Never tried the Fortifier but looking at its effects it does damage when it wears off so your followers are most likely treating it as a delibrate attack.

If you feel you need to reinstall the game be sure to latest version of the Windows Installer as the game can be a bit picky. You'll probably have to search the MS Download site for it.

And last don't label everything you don't understand a "bug" :roll:

6. Eloc Knarfnos

Eloc Knarfnos New Member

Would that it were so simple. My PC Dwarf has no melee skills, but throws a pretty mean chakram and ain't too bad a shot with the hand cannon. Either will progressively whittle away at the golems and masses while the pyrotechnic axes of strong melee fighters do absolutely (and I do me absolutely, except an occasional critical miss) no damage on them in the Dredge, though they worked fine on supposedly the same creatures in the Black Mountains. This is fairly clearly a bug, though one with an easy explosive work around.

As to the fortifier behavior, that probably is just a problematic feature, which is why I said "feature/bug" in my original post. Having been a programmer/systems manager/systems analyst/IS manager for the last 23 years I do appreciate the difference. In my experience all too many serendipitous features are creepy crawly critter code conveniently clothed in camouflage.

7. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

Absolutely nothing as in they are missing, yes?

Who are these "strong melee fighters" and what is their lvl and melee skill.

8. Eloc Knarfnos

Eloc Knarfnos New Member

OK. I'm wrong. The golem problem is probably a feature too. Perhaps if I'd had the volume higher I'd have heard a swish or gotten something more than a null indication that every swing was simply missing. A feature that looks and feels like a bug...

You're right though, just because my PC was at 30 and highly technical doesn't mean my followers were close to that level and they're neutral. Just because in every previous circumstance their higher melee skill, strength, dexterity and more damaging weapons had been more effective (even against the BlkMt ore golems), doesn't mean that it should necessarily be so against the Dredge's golems. And finally, as the numbers go, though these guys have way more melee skill, they aren't trained, so they're not really "strong."

It's just another example of why I wish I could obey my own first law of debugging (which also applies more generally): "Your first assumption is your first mistake." I make plenty and many more so since I stopped programming.

9. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

Its probably too late for you in the game to suggest going back and getting Magnus and Jayna.

If your followers are tech neutral you might try giving them Arcane weapons as they don't take damage from golems either. And it would be magic on magic rather than tech vs. magic.

Another thing that will help to offset the lighting penalties for your followers is to stand under a light and then attack the golems with your ranged weapons and let them come to you.

And as a last resort you could try the Repair option. I've never tried it with a game in progress so I can't make any reccomendation. Anyway if your desparate start the Uninstall and you will have the option to Repair instead.

10. Incubuspawn

Incubuspawn New Member

You are useing high tech weapons. They do nothing to them you neewd to use either magic or have a techy with a high aptitude.

Our Host!