Balanced sword.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Incubuspawn, Mar 7, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Incubuspawn

Incubuspawn New Member

Just wondering. The only thing tech about this sword is the way it was made. But the finished product is just a very well made sword. Same goes for gaunlets and some other non tech tech made items. However these items still suffer from magic. I know this was done for balance but couldn't they have done a quality level instead? They higher the tech ap the better the sword? Makes more sence to me. Oh well and here I thought I found a good way to balance the tech and magic for a balanced character oh well.

2. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Smithy is a technological discipline with no doubt. Sure it would be fun if one were able to cast some spells on his sword/axe to make it magick item but this would add even more to already powerful melee/mage characters.

As for the sword itself you can upgrade it later on with purchased schematics to electric sword or poisoned one. Similarily in case of featherwight axe.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dragoon on 2002-03-07 07:46 ]</font>

3. Incubuspawn

Incubuspawn New Member

You misunderstand me. I mean a character with a high magick aptitude has an increase chance for a critical failer with weapons made with the smithy tech. But all non tech weapons are made by smiths. Also I noticed that this sword does not do anything to ore golems. But a normal sword does. SO I assume it is because it performs better for those with a tech aptitude. BUt it is a sword after all not a light saber, and the blade does not extend from the hilt with some sort of magical device. Same thing as gaunlets. So with nothing mechanical or electrical about it why does it suffer from magick?

4. Oyarsa

Oyarsa New Member

The balanced sword is crafted throught he application of the principles of physics. The result os a weapon lighter, faster, and sharper than one made in the traditional, low-tech blacksmith fashion.

5. Incubuspawn

Incubuspawn New Member

All swords are made with that principle in mind. My point is the sword itself is not technological. Just the makeing of it.

6. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

so by that arguement a computer is not technological, just the makeing of it.

7. Incubuspawn

Incubuspawn New Member

Mrnobodie You have got to be kidding me. Am I really this dense? Come on, you must know I am refering to the application of the objects use. A sword is a pointy metal thing with no gears or gadgets and it does not run on fuel of any sort. The computer does.
    No more devils advocate crap ok. boy this is annoying. or perhaps that is the fun of it eh.

perhaps I should point out that a mage within the world of Arcanum would have to wear a lead suit to use a computer. But does not need one to swing a sword regardless of how it was made unless it was a Lightsaber, retractable, or had someother technological advance in its function. TThe makeing has nothing to do with its application. AM I clear now or am I just going to drop this as a pointless no where discussion? :sad:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Incubuspawn on 2002-03-08 12:24 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Incubuspawn on 2002-03-08 12:26 ]</font>

8. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

"boy this is annoying"
    ahhhh, you learn fast little one, soon you will be almost worthy to be here with us :wink:
    *edit* please don't drop it a good mock arguement is always fun

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mrnobodie on 2002-03-08 12:31 ]</font>

9. Metathiax

Metathiax New Member

A magic user will suffer a penilty with regular items if his magic apitude is high enough. The extent of the penility is determind by HOW technological the item is not weather or not it is technological. Meaning that if an item is not magic the mage will have a penility.

10. Vlad the Imposter

Vlad the Imposter New Member

I believe what Metathiax is saying is that it is not the technology of item itself but the also the technology that goes into making the item. The balanced sword relies on technological advancements in metalurgy for it to be fashioned. Therefore it is a technological item.

Another good example comes from the Arcanum game manual (OMG!!), on page 4 and five it describes two objects that alone are not technilogical, an incline and a block. Now if you put the block on the incline, science (physics) takes over. Introduce magik and it messes everything up. It works the other way too.

Our Host!