Popup ads? SHAME!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Etalis Craftlord, Feb 11, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

This is me for the last ten minutes on this site. What ran through my brain, that is. Ommiting the parts where I laughed at the wall, that is.

Happy
    Going to read funny/moronic/both posts.
    NO! POPUP AD FOR A FREE NIGHT-VIEW CAMERA!
    *click* out of that window
    Yay hilarity
    Back button
    NO! POPUP AD FOR FREE COLLEGE DIPLOMA!
    *click* out of that window.
    WooHoo I Have a Hammer - why is that still up? *Click*
    NO! POPUP AD FOR CHEAP MORTGAGE!
    AHHHH!
    *click click click randomly*
    Ad mysteriously dissapear.... whyfor the ads? Why, God/Jinxed? WhyyyYY???

2. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I don't mind them. No really. I don't. We have moved hosts. Our new one requires this. And that's all. No secret plot. (No, it's not a secret fund aid for Calis's drug ring)
    I'm just asking you guys to deal with it. As I have and I know many of you already have.

3. Skie88

Skie88 New Member

Well its not really that bad, but if it really concerns you Etalis, Ive read that there's a popup killer somewhere in the net, just download it.

4. Otto Krupp

Otto Krupp New Member

Please drop that subject right now and for forever.

Its a violation of this webhosts terms of service for a hosted site to provide that kind of information.

Besides no popups=no revenue for host.
    No revenue for host=no host.

5. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Sorry Otto can't drop it :smile:

Something must be killing those pop-ups in my case (though I didn't check no pop-up windows in my browser). Anyway even if I had them (on some sites I do) they're annoying I admit it, but then we use this forum for free and it's not hosted by a charity organisation.

6. Milo

Milo New Member

The popups shouldn't be hitting you all that frequently. I only seem to get them every once in a while. Usually when I first visit the site. And on the off-chance that TLN keeps track of the click-throughs generated by this site, I actually do click on the advert ( :eek: ). Well usually...

Maybe your browser isn't set to accept cookies or something?

7. Gonk

Gonk New Member

It would be better if the pop-ups advertised something interesting. "You Have One PRIZE Waiting!" and an annoying blinking box can't attract many clicks. Ads for computer-games or movies would be much better.

8. zlobster

zlobster New Member

Well Jinx, I ain't puttin' up with that shit!

9. Calis

Calis Member

Heya Zlobster, long time no see. Can I just point out that if one pop-up every 3 hours is going to keep you from visiting T-A, you obviously don't enjoy it much?

This site gets over 10 000 pageviews a day. Bandwidth like that costs money. Money we don't have to pay, luckily, because we're hosted by a host that uses ads to reclaim their expenses. If you want a quality host, banner ads alone aren't going to cut it. It's that simple.

10. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

If you want a quality host, you'll have to pay.

If you want a free host, say hello to Mr Advert.

Either way, you get what you pay for.

I'm in favour of anything legal that enables free websites. Just ignore the damn pop-ups, or be a friend to TA and click-through to boost the site stats.

Regarding the nature of the ads, I hate 'em. Those ad execs are dicks with no talent, training or scruples. Only the truly low would try to catch the unwary by mimicking script dialogues. It's even worse than the "Congratulations, you are one of just 10 million people who have been offered a chance to win this small, smelly turd. All you have to do is come buy one of our products that we couldn't advertise on their own merits."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2002-02-11 21:34 ]</font>

11. Zen

Zen New Member

So by not paying anything for a free host, you get nothing?

- Zen

12. Sheriff Fatman

In a way. As we saw with previous hosts, by not paying anything, we get no guarantees of quality of service.

The host can trash the site with no notice, take it offline, change the platform in ways that introduce bugs, throttle bandwidth, all kinds of nasty things.

We essentially rely on the host's motivations coinciding with those of this site. As soon as they diverge, the site loses out. This is not the case when you pay for hosting.

Please understand that I am not arguing against the current host or free hosts in general. As I said previously, I'm pro anything that enables free sites such as this.

BTW, I like the fact the site got a bit quicker when we moved to this new host. I dunno of it was some aspect of the ew host or just some spring cleaning, but I like the faster page load speeds.

13. Zen

Zen New Member

But even if it`s free you still get hosted!

See?

Bah, forget it...this suddently got very stoooopid!

- Zen

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

15. Sheriff Fatman

Yes. That's what happens when you try to take a figure of speech literally. Some further examples would be:

"You can't teach an old dog new tricks." Jar has proved this wrong on several occasions by teaching is old dog new ways of pleasuring him.

"The pen is mightier than the sword." (*whack* Ahaaaa! *snap* Ooooooh SHIT! *stab* Ahh bugger ... )

Have you considered changing you sig to something like

"Sage words are hard to come by, and even harder to understand ..." ?

16. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Concerning ad popups, Jinxed, I haven't seen the first damn one. Or I would click through it for the site. (yep take one for the team.)

Secondly, does Ioo, I mean, zlobster think he's fooling anyone? Comeon toilet, loo, whatever, take off that smelly lobster suit. We know who you are.

*whispers*
    yay, Ioo is back. Goodie goodie goodie. Let the newbie flames start anew!
    *whispers*

17. zlobster

zlobster New Member

Damn, you guys just don't know that when I'm mad - I'm not serious, so that means I'm not mad... though it's nice without popups. :smile:
    Funny that Calis still remembers this name..

18. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

Unfortunately, that's the way things are. Internet advertising is, and has always been, the piss poorest attempt at advertising ever done. They run a bunch of banners which aren't focused towards the content of the site, then they wonder why their sales aren't increasing. "Gee, why aren't the people from those gaming sites buying airline tickets or worried about increasing their breast size?" Ever seen an advertisement for lip gloss in Field & Stream magazine?

Hell, the banner I'm looking at right now, while typing this, is for EXOTIC WOOD FLOORING! Anyone remotely interested in that here?

So, to follow that, the advertisers think that annoying people is the answer. I don't know anyone that's not even mildly annoyed by popup advertisements. When you think about it, this is probably the worst answer imaginable, because annoyed people don't tend to be willing to buy those products.

Who knows what they'll come up with when they figure out that not focusing the advertisements towards the users of the site while annoying them doesn't work.

However, right now, they're paying for pop ups, and that's what matters because bandwidth, server space, and tech support cost money. A heck of a lot of money too, check out the cost of paid hosting sometime. We're talking about $40 per month, minimum, for something that could push Terra-Arcanum.

Not to mention that TLN has been pretty damned good to both Vault13.net and Terra-Arcanum.com so far. Compared to other free hosts that both sites have used, TLN is damned nice. If they want pop ups, that's fine by me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saint_Proverbius on 2002-02-13 09:33 ]</font>

19. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Actually, Prov, what type of wood is it? Wood floors are cool, and everyone knows that EXOTIC WOOD FLOORS are the way to be cool now. The society matrons won't accept anyone who has less than 65% EXOTIC WOOD FLOORS in their house.

20. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I agree... I mean, you'r talking EXOTIC wood floors. Not they're not just your average, every day, run of the mill, WOOD FLOORS... They're EXOTIC after all. Damn... I think I'll keep hitting refresh until I get that same banner ad and then go check 'em out.

Our Host!