Baldurs Gate!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FO_Landon, May 13, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. carlstar

carlstar New Member

BG1-2 is good i must say. throne of bhaal on the other hand was a large ass roasting over a spit. hate it. hate it.

its a d&d thing jarinor. so they have too have to have classes.
    though i do agree with you that open character games like fallout arcanum are better.

which one do i think is the best. well
    *cough*

EDIT- opps i accidently hit the submit button before saying. i have a nasty spasmodic cough you see.

2. DrFraud

DrFraud New Member

I liked ToB. `Course, my bein' an eeeevul god at the end mighta had something to do with it... :wink:

3. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

just to add my thoughts.... i liked both games myself for different reasons, these being that BG reminded me of the old d&d games which i loved, so naturally i liked BG, whereas arcanum brings a brand new slant to crpg's with the adding of technology into the mix and the resulting conflicts with magick's was FUCKING BRILLIENT!.

4. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I prefer Fallout and Arcanum to BG but I really enjoyed BG especially BG2. Let's just leave aside ToB.

5. Pissukonde

Pissukonde New Member

I just bought BG2, and let me just say that it rocks. The AI in BG2 is much more, well, realistic: enemies who have offensive spells will actually use them and stuff. But the game is f*cking difficult! Your 'followers' interact much better with you and each other: saying more than the introduction when you first meet them and then just a list of options every time; as in Arcanum. Also you can pause the game at any time, issue instructions to your party, then unpause it (AoE II style). Oh yeah, and more characters have voices, which I think was missing in Arcanum.

Of course Arcanum has its plus points as well: magick vs. tech, less overwhelming for a begginer (I have been a pure begginer at both, so I know this well), more intuitive and the journal is much more informative. My last point is probably quite controversial: I prefer the graphics of Arcanum, they just seem more friendly and less, well, black.

Overall though Arcanum & BG2 are two completely different styles of RPGing and really shouldn't be compared.
    *realises that he's just tried to compare them and grins sheepishly, hoping no-one will notice*

6. Lucifer

Lucifer New Member

IMHO...BAULDERS GATE 1, 2, And all their expansions are THE BEST games ever to bless our computers.

I'll explain why:

BG(1,2,TOB ] ARCANUM
    ]
    *great graphics ]*acceptable graphiques
    *great story ]*great story
    *involved romances]*no romances
    *NPC's with perso-]*NPC's with no personality
    nality ]
    *over 300 spells ]*under 60 spells and tech
    *dragons ]*no dragons
    *AD&D ]*no AD&D
    *hundreds of items]*lots of items
    *Bards ]techies
    *monks ]half ogres(gasps in wonder

so you see BG2 has far an advantage of arcanum but i am NOT saying Arcanum is a bad game. Its a friggin good game but I just find BG2 better.

Oh and i like that sexy dark elf Viconia in BG2(yes, yes she's the reason i love the game)

7. DrFraud

DrFraud New Member

Arcanum ain't s'posed to have dragons - they all died out decades ago or something. An' they couldn't do a game like this with AD&D rules `cause AD&D has no tech. Why do you seem to want both games to be a carbon-copy of each other? Yeesh...

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

"Variety is the spice of life" - Some guy.

I hate games which copy other games. I'm glad Arcanum isn't like BG - if it was, I'd buy a plane ticket, a Stanley knife and crash the plane into Troika's HQ :smile:.

If you don't like the joke, here's the one I was going to post before my flash of (pretty sick I must say) 'inspiration':

I hate games which copy other games. I'm glad Arcanum isn't like BG - if it was, I'd buy a plane ticket, a gun when I landed, and go through Troika's HQ like the Terminator.

9. Reko Kid

Reko Kid New Member

Now I see why you got your avatar...
    lol

10. kcwong

kcwong New Member

BG, Arcanum, let's not forget PS:T too

I love all of these games... but can't really compare BG Series and Arcanum - they're very different games.

BG is based on AD&D, a medieval world with fantasy elements, focused on character interactions - and it is done soooooo well.

Arcanum on the other hand is based on Fallout's system, and in a world with both tech and magic. The atmosphere is great - just like Fallout 1 & 2.

Let's add Planescape: Torment to this discussion: what's your opinion on this game?

11. Zen

Zen New Member

I just have to say this, and y'all have to listen!

I haven`t played BG2 but I found BG1 to be terribly bland and totally lacking any atmosphere...

To sum it up: I hold nothing but nausea, annoyment and boredom to the name of Baldurs Gate, when the possibility of multiplay is taken out of the picture.

- Zen

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I actually tried to find Planetscape: Torment in my local EB recently - they didn't have it :sad:. I've heard that it's really good though, so I'm keen to give it a try.

13. Tidus

Tidus New Member

Bg

I like arcanum and bg

But i thing BG1 is way better than BG2
    i only have a few reasons why though

1. you can explore alot unlike BG2 where you have to ask people where places are

2. you can go to baldurs gate and steal stuff out of houses
    In BG2 you cant even go to BG and in the main city on BG2 there is like only 14 houses you can go to

3. The towns are bigger more houses

sorry this has nothing to go with arcanum im jus saying what BG is better!

14. Amos Trask

Amos Trask New Member

one of my favourite hint site GameBanshee.com
    has a link to the online store that sells games so you can purchase planescape torment there.

Note there was a romance in Arcanum and yes the dialogue scenes lacked personality

Our Host!