I am now a man without a home; at least for the moment.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by colonel_mortimer, Jan 1, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. colonel_mortimer

colonel_mortimer New Member

Many of you may know that besides me spending the last couple months spamming on this board that I am also a Staff Member of The Tarant Daily. Since several of you go there and for the past week the average load time was 15 minutes, if you actually got it to load at all, I figured I should fill you in on what was going on. Since Tonúrics said it as well as I could this Ton's statement he posted in our news.
    It's like an end of an era. :sad:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: colonel_mortimer on 2002-01-01 02:02 ]</font>

2. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Well, it looks like Tons evil linking ways came to an end eh? :smile: I heared on Irc you guy may be making a new website about another game. Any news on that? Anyway my connection went dead today an I'm on a modem gotta run.
    PS: Don't you write "web master" together? Pretty sure I saw it somewhere like that....

3. Tonúrics

Tonúrics New Member

Those download links, are just burned into your minds huh? :smile:

Mort: Oh damn! Looks like I registered over here... *Ton waits for SP to ban him or something*

Ultimately switching subject matter wouldn't help the hosting situation, but I did have a few games in mind that would have been good.

Jix: There is even 'WebMister'. :wink:

4. Calis

Calis Member

If it's any consolation, Ton, about 99% of the free game site hosts out there suck ass. Everybody's having problems... our e-mails still don't work, the server clock is a day ahead, and we've run into the limit for the amount of web-user accounts (separate directories with their own FTP login) we can create.
    I hope you guys can go on and keep the site up for a while longer... this is just no good. Have you tried e-mailing a few other Gamestats staff yet? In my opinion, the only thing that even has a remote chance of helping here is spam. Tonurics, what you need to do is e-mail the ENTIRE Gamestats staff about your problems. A few times a month. That *might* get someone off his ass and on your problems... then again, it might not. *Calis remembers his experiences at Gamestats and at Gamers' Alliance*

Any idea yet what games you were going to cover?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calis on 2002-01-01 03:48 ]</font>

5. Tonúrics

Tonúrics New Member

I have had my share of free hosting services, but I have never come cross anything like GameStats... Heh.

The hosting problems started the first week we got hosted (the loss of the ftp 3 weeks ago just finally put us out of commission), and I was sending emails (and icq messages, which the gamestats staff is keen on) to everyone on the staff there. In some cases daily (when the cgi went down). Not one thing has been fixed by them.

Basically it has all come down to no one having access to the server or knowing how to use a computer. Apparently the only person with access has moved to another city, disappeared, fried his hard drive, forgot to pay his internet bill and killed himself or something on those lines.

Heh, well Tarant Daily will be up until the PHP or some important Data falls apart (which has already started on TTC) because it's on the hard drive and not in a mysql database (due to mysql problems that were never fixed, you got to laugh). Not because anyone wants to see how long the site will last on it's own, but because we can't take the site down properly without ftp access. ...At lest you won't have to worry about anyone posting links to TD on this message board soon. (I have no idea how long it will last.)

"You only control a thing if you can destroy it." I suppose powerlessly watching it die slowly while making jokes, counts too. (I've had a while to get used to the idea anyhow.) It's not like all of the staff of TD will drop out of the Arcanum scene, LD and his team will continue on their mod, and most of the vistors that only went to TD will just make there way over here.

P.S. We were looking at covering both Divine Divinity and Arcanum (on gamestats) long before we lost the ftp, then just Divine Divinity (on a differnt host) once we lost the ftp because no one wanted a Arcanum site. Then posiably Arx Fatalis if the host already had a Divine Divinity site. Basicly our list of possiable hosts is quite limited, because it is important to me that the site conintue to be sever side scripted. Any how, I have stopped brothering with hosts for the time being, we wouldn't keep the same user base once we changed subject matter, anyways.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tonúrics on 2002-01-01 04:45 ]</font>

6. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Hope it all works out. We have a share of problems too. But nowhere near yours. Heh, it's almost funny, when I see Morty here, I run straight to TD to see what's going on, I think he does the same. I tried to access Tom's Iced realm forum but couldn't can any of you give me the direct link to the forum? Anyway, Happy New Year!

7. FluffyLittleRabbit

FluffyLittleRabbit New Member

I did not recall I found something like strategies on Tarant Daily, did I? The only thing I found useful there was a link to a strategy guide :smile:.

8. colonel_mortimer

Jinxed, New site http://www.strategyplanet.com/lotr/ and the new forum http://dynamic3.gamespy.com/~lotr/bb/ikonboard.cgi

Ton, what is wrong with you? First you actually signed up here and second what is the talk about losing your fan base? We lost several people Vikjunk, Al, Shadowfax, Lord Undertaker just to name a few and they were just replaced with others just as good. I guess what I am saying is if we get a new site we may lose a few regulars, we may even lose a few staff members. Yet we should gain many more great fans that will replace them. That is the nature of a website.

9. Tonúrics

Tonúrics New Member

Well, with that statement Mort, I was just saying there isn't really a reason to rush to get hosting, because the user base wouldn't carry over over to the new TD.

10. colonel_mortimer

The sooner we act the more people that will transfer over. Plus if we stop we might actually find out we have real lives and then be less likely to throw it all away. :wink: Personally, it sounded to me like you were losing heart, and I was not planning to let that happen. Also, all of the games we have talked about changing to are coming out in less than 6 months. To me time seems short, and it will take a little time to create a good fansite. There is no time like the present.

P.S. Shards seemed a little antsy to get a new host over the last few weeks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: colonel_mortimer on 2002-01-01 19:59 ]</font>

11. Odi

Odi New Member

Even a commercial site can be a crapshoot. In times long past, we "got what we paid for."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Odi on 2002-01-02 19:11 ]</font>

Our Host!