How come there ain't no brothas in Arcanum?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zexaqaxez, Dec 20, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Hmm ... I hadn't been aware that our laws were strict in that way. Fallout sold just fine over here.

The was the unspeakable (unpatchable!!!!) abomination called the low-violence version, but other versions were sold quite legally, I think. Unless, HMV, was doing a nice little blackmarket number when they sold me mine :grin:

2. SilverFuture

SilverFuture New Member

Yeah....

Actually, you're wrong. There's one black guy, but he's dead and you ressurrect him. And he's evil, -20 alignment.....Racist Troika!

3. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Welcome to the forum SilverFuture!!! :wavey:
    Where is this man you are talking about?

4. anachronox2

anachronox2 New Member

FALLOUT IN LOW VIOLENCE?!? NOOOOOOOO! THE DEVIL! BEGONE DEMON! G'WAN, SHOO! anybody know a priest who can do excorsisms?

5. SilverFuture

SilverFuture New Member

He's in the Ancient Temple

He's the skeleton......

6. Eros Rex

Eros Rex New Member

I am sure many whites feel this way. but folk lore and "little people" do not exclusivly belong to "whites". There has never been a time on this planet that there were not black people or black customers for that matter. Actually I think it would be more correct to say that they were around and sharing stories about little people long before whites. I tried not to post to this thread because I try not to involve myself with ignorace but Jezz give me a break. Whites love to think of themselves as the end all and be all of all things good and great. Don't get me wrong they have done many wonderful things but so have blacks and many many other cultures. So let's dispell a few myths here shall we?

1) Jesus was not white (not black either but MUCH closer to black then white)

2) Not all RPer's are white (most are but about 50% of RPer's would fall under the "other" catagory)

3) I don't care what point of history you look at there was NEVER a time when everyone was white. (although there may very well have been a period when everyone was black or maybe chiness.)

4) Considering how many black people tend to by products that are almost exclusivly marketed towards whites. I wonder how many whites would support for one second an rpg game with only "brothas" in it? Not enough to count I would suspect. Kinda makes you think don't it.

7. SilverFuture

SilverFuture New Member

I found one!

Kerghan is black!

(If you don't know who Kerghan is, you'll meet up with him soon enough.)

8. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

[/quote]
    Whites love to think of themselves as the end all and be all of all things good and great. [/quote]

Um, Eros, I don't think any one said this at any time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retard on 2001-12-28 08:53 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retard on 2001-12-28 11:26 ]</font>

9. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

ok, now then, i'm only going to say this once so listen up, DO NOT BRING ACCUSATIONS OF RACISM INTO THIS FORUM!, it will get very ugly, very quickly and i for one will not stand for it!. i will quite happily leave this forum if that is the path it is heading down.

10. Eros Rex

Eros Rex New Member

Please don't go Mr. Nobodie with feldon gone no one left to make me laugh :sad:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eros Rex on 2001-12-28 13:35 ]</font>

11. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

it's just that i have no time/tolerence for narrow minded people, i grew up listening to them i don't want to do it here as well

12. anachronox2

anachronox2 New Member

13. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I agree with mrnobodie. One or two threads of political argument is currently seeming like too many to me, given the aggression and combativeness it has lead to.

Please try not to be too hard on Tolkien. He was a fantasy writer and under no obligation to include whites, blacks or any other ethnic group.

Also, he drew heavily from Northern European folklore for Middle-Earth, which is dominated by whites, becasue Africa was still outside of the known world for a lot the people who contributed to it. I'm sure African folklore is pretty much full of blacks, Russian full of slavs and Native American Indian full of native americans.

For anyone who is interested in a non-argumentative way, about a decade ago, I used to play a LotR PBM game, and I seem to remember some of the starting races being either black or asian (ish). I don't know if this was some interpretation put upon Middle Earth by the games company, or if Tolkien wrote it that way.

I vaguely recall it may have been the Numenor or the Easterlings. I tried looking it up in this online Tolkien Encyclopedia but couldn't find physical descriptions for those races. Maybe someone else would have better luck.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sheriff fatman on 2001-12-28 12:30 ]</font>

14. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

On that note, I'm beginning to feel sorry I ever started that thread on military tribunals... I don't have the attention span to read even one of the posts that're showing up in there... but at least it's not spilling out into the rest of the forum.

Yet.

Dun dun dun...

15. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

I formally apologize for my rash comments. Hope all is forgiven.

16. Eros Rex

Eros Rex New Member

I was never mad at you. I know I type harshly sometimes but I am passionate not mad :grin:

17. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I wouldn't say that Feldon has gone - more like he's enjoying some festive cheer. Or he's in hospital with alcohol poisoning. Which is the same thing really.

I myself disappeared for a couple of days for a nice little holiday...

18. BortiiS_VoN_BortiiS

BortiiS_VoN_BortiiS New Member

Arcanum the Whitey World, with tad shades of Orcish-green.

There are no black people or brown people in Arcanum, simply, cuz in many (as in "not all") white people's dream-fantasy world, everyone is either white, white, white, or white, and possibly white, and any other color that isn't ethnic African "black" (or Latin "brown").

It's not just Arcanum.
    Just look at Baldur's Gate II.
    Except for the token black guy character (Valygar or whatever he was called) none of the average NPC people walking around on the streets or in the taverns are black. They colored them all white when they could have easily made them black or brown.

Alot of games out there are like this, personally, I don't give a crap, they can do what they want, it's not going to hurt any pussy political correctness thing here, but I'm very aware of it.
    BUT you can't have black or brown people all the time.

I mean, shit, who would expect to see a black nordic viking guy in a game like Rune?
    Or some brown Hispanic Elf in Arcanum?
    Or a Chinese Orc?

19. anachronox2

anachronox2 New Member

maybe i should refrain from noticing that we have chinese *humans*, so why not orcs, you racist bigot. oops too late.

20. Eros Rex

Eros Rex New Member

Jarinor I really hope that everything is alright in your neck of the woods. That fire looks totally out of control from here :sad: I wish you and yours the best.

Our Host!