Getting a tech/ gunslinger character going?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Sargon, Dec 19, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Lycander

Lycander New Member

thanx Vanguard.but you have professor degree in herbal too.no offense but did u cheat on to get some more points for herbs?what about your other stats like willpower and constitution?

2. FluffyLittleRabbit

FluffyLittleRabbit New Member

What do you mean by cheating? You can only invest 7 points into herbology and no further. He got professor by investing points into herbology.

3. Langy

Langy New Member

Willpower and Constitution are USELESS for a gunslinger (at least, they were to me). I had a gunslinger that never put anything into either of them and was a master at melee as well (to fall back on:p) and an expert at firearms. My character womped the final baddy bad with his Warbringer (best gun that I know of in the game).

4. DWiT

DWiT New Member

you wana know HARD......

i created a character (dwarf) that had an allergy to magic. giving him a tech bonus in every catagory but disallowing ALL uses of magic whatsoever. (and most armors as well due to his stature.)

i figured ild be THE most challanging (hardest) to play... i was right. but it was FUN!!! =]- !!!IMPORTANT!!! get the worthless mutt as a part of your party, strong as he is and gets he will save your @ss many times over. also to give myself a boost early on i killed the munk in ashbury(?) whom had the looking-glass rifle. corse this meaned i couldnt be traned as a Master in firearms but at the time i didnt know he COULD train one thusly. no great loss really.
    expert status in firearms is really all u need, unless you want to do a lot of called shots. i havnt noticed a differance in the damage done with called shots, even Head shots, as opposed to otherwise.

5. Cruor

Cruor New Member

Well a tip to those who intend to become a gunslinger... I recommend you skip virgil and all magic healers as mentioned before here... well you can have them in your party just for muscle but for medicinal purpose there are a few possibilities...

1. Give virgil those firstaid-kits, but he fails alot do to his lack of points invested in heal only 1 skill it seems, maybe he invests more later in the game.

2. Invest some of your own points in heal since it's a neutral healskill it can be used to heal both mages and techs, but unfortunately medipacks are hard to come by storekeepers usually don't have more than one at a time...

3. Quite good! Also a spoiler but since most of you have allready played the game once or more... if you go to Ashbury I think it is you will find a inventor who claims he built the flyingmachines that blew the zeppelin out of the skies... and he wants to prove they work to certain other invetors so he asks you to find proof, therfore you give him the camera from the blimpcrash... in return he will give you a medical arachnid and the schematic to it and it is a master at healing techies...

Enjoy!!

6. Reko Kid

Reko Kid New Member

No problem to have a successful gunman.
    Race: Dwarf
    Background: Mad Doctor or Miracle Operation
    Spend points on Perception and Firearms at the beginning so your shots will hit.
    Then start raising your intelligens, to 15 I think, and then raise your gun smithy "skill" until you can make the lookingglass rifle, which, in my mind, is the best rifle in the game... almost =o)
    Atleast in my verision of the game, it makes 40-40 damage and has 25 in range.

And well, you can get expert Firearms in Shrouded hills.
    All you need to do is have turn based comat in the beginning until you can handle without it.

7. Dr. Poo

Dr. Poo New Member

helo

heh this thread is so long, i wonder if anyone will actually read my reply. I only read the first 10 or so replies and then decided to throw in my 2 cents.

Incidentally, my first and only character to date, is a gun slinger. So i'm guessing that if i had played another character type first, i'd think gunslingers were too hard, like the original poster of this thread. But since i have nothing to compare it to, gunslinger seems quite doable to me. Especially since I am now level 32 and kick major booty and richer than hell.

THe biggest problem with gunslingers, from the perspective of someone who has ONLY played a gunslinger---is the early game. The primary hassle in the early game incidentally is 1. Keeping bullets stocked and 2. You waste 90% of your bullets in combat, so again, keeping bullets stocked.

I started with one point put into dodge, and that helped a bit. I trained explosives. And i spent a point on throwing of course. I started with a point on pickpocket as well.

NOt saying i made the best choices but...

The best thing that I did, was to go with explosives. Explosives rock. Moltov cocktail is simply the most badass low level weapon you can get. It does heavy damage , and hits multiple targets, and it has the side benefit of knocking your oppenants back 15 feet, so that the next round they have to waste their turn just walking to you. And yes, as a gunslinger, you absolutely want to use turn based combat against any creatures that are close to your level. On the rare occassion i come across easy to kill lowbie creatures, i just hit he space bar and let my followers kill them all real fast.

My guy is now level 32, and hes an expert in firearms, and hes like rank 6 in explosives, and rank 6 in gunsmithy. Incidentally i didn't even train gunsmithy until like level 20ish. What i did before that is i simply booted virgil from my group and added Volinger (ashbury i think) and had him make me a fine revolver, which I used up until i switched to my looking glass rifle, which i made myself. The nice thing about the fine revolver, is it has nearly the same damage as say, the repeater rifle, but you can wear a shield at the same time. Now that I'm an expert in firearms, and i have a looking glass rifle (TH:+20) I have 90%-120% base to hit on most creatures. If I keep my burden to light , my speed is 7, and i get 2 shots with the looking glass rifle per round, and they almost never miss, and they hit HARD (15-30 damage). If a creature gets too close to me, i throw either a moltov or a explosives grenade at them to knock them back, then take another rifle shot. The enemy wastes most of their time just trying to walk back to me cuz i keep knocking them back. Another big benefit to explosives, is that you can throw SEVERAL of them in turn based combat before the creature even gets to move. I think there may even be no limit on how many you can throw, though i usually don't cheese the game like that. Thats probably a game balance issue they didn't intend....

While in the early game, keeping bullets stocked was my biggest complaint, in the later game, i don't even have to think about bullets. Explosives are fairly easy to stock up on as well, if you use Tarant as your home base for resupply. Just take a run through tarrant and you can get about 20 rags from the trash cans. Then visit the general store, the gun smithy, the inventor, and the factory foreman, and you can get plenty of explosives supplies, and oh yeah metal cans from the trash cans as well.

Oh one more thing, i trained 2 ranks in herbology, and especially the 1st rank, where you can make healing salves, is a MUST HAVE. Magic heals don't work on you if you are a techie / gunslinger. And you will burn up TONS of those healing salves, and you can't afford to buy them from the shopkeeps.

8. Lycander

Lycander New Member

Our Host!