Butcher of Stillwater question

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by ravenlord, Sep 30, 2022.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ravenlord

ravenlord New Member

In official 1.0.7.4, reuniting Lady Druella and Adkin Chambers changes their location to Roseborough. And this messes up the "Butcher of Stillwater" quest because the body count then comes up one short. Has anyone tried going to Roseborough to kill Chambers to see if that works to get the correct kill count to finish the quest?

If not, is there a way to do both quests, aside from not taking Druella to CHambers?

2. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

Seems more like a Dwarven question of Shape and Stoned. If you are gonna be evil, be evil. No good deed goes unpunished.

3. ravenlord

ravenlord New Member

Sorry, my bad for the confusion. I am asking about Stillwater, not Wheel Clan. Let me re-ask the question in a different way to be more clear.
    1) I am curious about the gaming mechanics for the coding of the Butcher of Stillwater quest.
    2) I know that the flag is a bodycount number based upon Stillwater kills, and the quest won't show completed until that number is reached.
    3) I also know that completing the Dodge and Melee master quests in such a way that relocates Chambers to Roseborough messes up the Stillwater quest by making the bodycount one short.
    4) So my question is if there is an ingame way to still complete the Butcher of Stillwater quest after Chambers relocates.
    5) And by ingame, I mean methods that do not require modding or patching or other editing procedures.
    Thanks. Hopefully the question is more straightforward this time.

4. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

I believe that the Adkins that is in Roseborough is NOT the same one that is in Stillwater, i.e. like Ketzel Pierce in Blackroot vs same in Caladon. Game pretty much deletes the 1st and makes fresh one for the new location. So, given that, no. Probably not. BTW, does that flag check for player kills or NPC deaths? Be interesting to kill them all with hexed stuff rather than get your armor bloody.

5. ravenlord

ravenlord New Member

"I believe that the Adkins that is in Roseborough is NOT the same one that is in Stillwater"
    Yeah I get that, which is the exact reason why I am asking the question, eh? Each NPC has a coded "home", which is why I am curious if they kept the new Chambers home code as Stillwater or not.

So let me try asking the question, in still yet another, different way to hopefully erase any last lingering bit of confusion.

When I ask "Has anyone tried . . . " what I mean is if anyone has actually done it in game (rather than as a thought experiment), and if so, did it work. Or if anyone one has found a different way IN GAME that worked for them to clear the quest.

So again sorry for the confusion, but even as a native English speaker I am at my wit's end on how to ask this question any clearer. So with a final attempt:
    1) Has anyone ever done the dodge/melee quest that both sent Chambers to Roseborough and completed the "Butcher of Stillwater" quest ingame? (Yes or no)
    1a) If YES, then how did you accomplish it please?
    1b) if NO, then:
    2) Does anyone has access to the SCR files that show a path of both doing the dodge/melee quest that sent Chambers to Roseborough AND completed the "Butcher of Stillwater" quest ingame? (Yes or no)
    2a) If YES, then what is that path please?
    2b) if NO, then thank you for reading, and no further comment is necessary. Or desired. Any default answers of "I've not tried", or "I don't know" and all of its variants are already assumed. Thanks for your consideration.

6. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

I do remember years ago someone trying to address this by editing a flag using a script doing a -1 operation on total Stillwater population on the completion of the Dodge quest. Cannot remember if it was successful or it indicated the problem was elsewhere. Best of luck!

7. ravenlord

ravenlord New Member

I am posting an update incase anyone else has this issue.

There is an extra character (Hippington) that can normally be left alive while still fulfilling the quest. However if Chambers is gone, then killing him will bring the body count back to normal.

Our Host!