Determining meanings and values of local flags (like lf1, lf2, etc)

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by ravenlord, Jun 7, 2022.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ravenlord

ravenlord New Member

Does anyone know specifically Which folder, containing which scr files, corresponds to the dlg files for their local flags. For example, What is exactly the folder name and file name and location path that corresponds to to say 01098Lillian_Misk.dlg, lines 31 and 32, Flag lf4. I am curious what lf4 is, and its value when it is aet at 0 or 1. Thanks!

2. FilthyJack

FilthyJack Member Supporter

Nobody's taking a shot so I may as well share what I know.

Dialogs and Scripts work in pairs, dlg Number 001 is automatically linked to script 001. If you see lf4 in a dlg file then it means set local flag number 4 of the corresponding script to X.
    Using local flags in items is a way to pass variables (infos) to a script when it's run.
    Flags are boolean/binary so either 0 or 1.
    They can be used to store info when the script is a dialog script, ie: has the character already asked this? (check if flag is 0) and set flag to 1 if yes.
    If I remember correctly, only Global flags have a 'text/title' associated with them to help figure out what they're used for. Local flags on the other hand are not that simple since they don't have labels, the best one can do is probably to figure out their meaning by the dialog line they're used in.

Amrel likes this.
  3. ravenlord

ravenlord New Member

Thank you -- that does restate the question nicely with much more detail for those who did not know what I was asking about.

So hopefully someone now knows where I can find and identify the scr file that corresponds to 01098Lillian_Misk.dlg :)

4. FilthyJack

Oh, well I don't remember the exact .dat/.patch containing the scripts but if you use ScriptEd you'll have a nice 'load official script' menu which lists all the game scripts. Sort by name and find the 01098 easily, hope it helps.

5. ravenlord

ravenlord New Member

Unfortunately that's the info that I am looking for, hence the original question of "Does anyone know specifically Which folder". Thanks for replying though.

6. FilthyJack

Arcanum2.dat holds most of the scr, but other .dat/.patch overwrite some of them like UAP for bugfixes and virgil cheat menu.

7. ravenlord

ravenlord New Member

Thank you so much. I couldn't find them in Arcanum.dat in the module folder or Arcanum3.dat with the dlg files in the root folder . For some reason I had a blind spot and never even considered looking in Arcanum2.dat or the other dat files in the root. I feel silly now. Thanks for your patience!

8. FilthyJack

You're welcome, sorry I was too sleepy to realise what you were looking for exactly :D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
Our Host!