Lockpicks/Auto Skeleton Key tech aptitude

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Pergor, Feb 23, 2021.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Pergor

Pergor New Member

Technical question about (crude)lockpicks and Auto Skeleton Key, I've searched the forum but couldn't find any mention of that exact topic. I'm playing as a gnome thief with magic aptitude, 63 right now at level 50. Thing is, I went the Pick Locks skill way due to it being quiet coupled with Prowling.
    My question is, as I've looked up in Arcanum Factory, Lockpicks have technically inclined aptitude of 15%, crude ones 20% and Auto Skeleton Key 35%. That made me wonder, wouldn't they impose critical failures when using them to open doors and containers, since I have rather high magic aptitude? The tools themselves don't show that on them unlike technical weapons & armor.

2. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

There isn't a magic for unlocking stuff? Or doesn't it work with tecnological locks? It's a lot I don't play the game :p

3. Pergor

Pergor New Member

There is Unlocking Cantrip spell, second level from the Conveyance college, but it's very loud so you have to cast it from afar to not alarm people near the container or door, also it requires 100 aptitude to be able to unlock some stronger containers / doors.
    The reason for asking was, I noticed when trying to open some chest in Wheel Clan, I failed and it became jammed on first attempt, despite me being 20/20 Master in Pick Locks skill + using Auto Skeleton key. It's just a minor thing, but made me thinking if there's some small chance of critical failure if using those tech aptitude tools with a magic aptitude character. Just because it isn't displayed on the tools wouldn't mean there isn't some hidden function there, as is the case with many magic weapons or items not showing everything in their description.

4. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

Interesting. I've never tried a magical character LOL.

Try a lower tech lockpick (especially since you're a master lockpicker)

Our Host!