Hacking Heartstones

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by 13oojum, Feb 10, 2020.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. 13oojum

13oojum New Member

So, I sold all my gems after I got three circles into the Ancient Gods quest forgetting that I need a Heartstone to get into the Iron Clans. So, how do I hack one of these bad-boys in? Can anyone step-by-step me please.

2. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

Aren't the heartstones those on the Bedokan camp? Anyway in these cases I've found out a small cheat: edit the schematic files in order to replace the outcome item of a schematic with the item you need. Dirty and unclassy but it works....

3. 13oojum

13oojum New Member

How does one go about doing this? What programs do I need, first of all? And what are the steps, second?

4. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

First of all you need a DAT archive extractor (my choise would be the one included with the Arcanum Factory mod tools). Then you open the three .dat archives in search of a file which I seem to remember it's called schematics.mes (as soon as I have my pc I'll look it up). Then after it's extracted open it with a notepad program (better Notepad++) and see if there's on top of the file a small guide to the editing of the file (Troika usually left those in their files)

5. 13oojum

13oojum New Member

Alright, so, follow up. I also had the werewolf cure for Cynthia but I either sold it or, maybe, a party member used it (can anyone verify if this is possible). Can it be used with quest items like this? And does anyone recall what the name of the damn potion is? Thanks.

Edit: It's called the lycanthrope restorative.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  6. 13oojum

13oojum New Member

So, I downloaded Arcanum Facory (1.4.1) opened DATBuilder and found "schematics.mes" in "arcanum4.dat" in the "Rules" folder. WHERE do I find the item # to both the Heartstone and the Lycanthropic Restorative? And HOW do I un-extract(?) the files back into the dat file? Thanks.

Update: Heartstone is {15182} as per GameFaq's "Background/Schematic Editing FAQ" by Count Tyrant [See: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/914155-arcanum-of-steamworks-and-magick-obscura/faqs/14388].

Update2: I got the Heartstone. Nice! HOWEVER, can't find the item # to the lycanthropic restorative. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  7. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

Good to hear about the heartstone.
    Regarding the lycantrope potion I've no idea how to reobtain it, sorry. Don't you have an older savegame? Are you sure it's not still in your inventory (if I remember correctly it has a really dark icon)?

8. 13oojum

13oojum New Member

Ironically, I did have it in my inventory... a single save ago... but I saved over it testing out the Heartstone fix... I reloaded a MUCH earlier save and forced Tulla to see what the icon looked like & I'm pretty sure I only just sold it as a random potion to the junk dealer in Tarant. I heard somewhere you can pretend to have cured Cynthia and finish the quest that way, getting some kind of lesser reward, however. I think that's what I'll have to do.

Update: It would seem that you have to tell Cynthia's father that you found a cure right off the bat or you're stuck going to Tulla.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
Our Host!