Getting cursed by Arbalah

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Jojobobo, Oct 9, 2015.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Now I seem to remember many moons ago that Arbalah can curse you (basically the opposite of his blessing, with a negative reaction modifier instead of positive), plus Ruda made mention of it here. I'm currently trying to make a character with the lowest reaction modifier possible so it's of interest to me.

However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it - you'd think killing him would be enough but apparently he requires a higher standard of wrong-doing to actually curse you. Any ideas?

I'm partially thinking that the curse was in the demo I played before the game was released and following the demo it got replaced by the gypsy blood curse, but some confirmation would be nice.

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Don't you have to explain to him you are going to kill him after he tells you his story?

3. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

You'd think this would be right up my alley, but it's been long enough that I'm drawing a blank on this one.

I'm pretty sure it would involve a dialogue option if it is indeed a thing, as Zanza suggests, because I recall straight up murdering him many times and don't recall getting the curse.

4. Jojobobo

I've tried that and it didn't work, I guess I'll try a few other options and see what happens.

I've now exhausted everything I can think of:

• Telling Arbalah I don't believe his lies and killing him.
    • Telling Arbalah, "That was a great story, but I'm going to kill you now."
    • Accepting Arbalah's quest, then killing him.
    • Killing Arbalah with the artefact in my possession.
    • Returning to Brehgo, telling him he will rot there forever, getting the artefact, then killing Arbalah, thereby botching both quests. Then going back and telling Brehgo he's free.
    • Both killing Farkus and letting him live to get the artefact.

Any other ideas, or things that I haven't tried? You wouldn't think it was so hard to get cursed.

EDIT: So I'm now reasonably convinced it's not in the core game anymore. I had a look at Virgil's Debug menu and it's the only curse that's not listed - likely reason being it doesn't exist.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  5. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    If it's not in the core game, yet folks remember it happening, maybe it's an after market add.
    Perhaps Drog or rroyo added or fixed it in one of their patches/mods.

6. pavlekocev25

pavlekocev25 Member

Hi Jojobobo,

I just tested killing Arbalah after saying to him "That was a great story, but I'm going to kill you now." in version 1.0.6.4 and 1.0.7.4 and I still didn't get a curse, my reaction modifier stayed the same.

You can try however to get curses from Geshtianna and Halcyon, I think they both decrease your BE by 1, so if you get both you can end up with BE -2 and that in turn lowers reaction.

7. Jojobobo

Thanks mentioning the other curses, but I'm after Velorien's Blessing seeing as 90% of people want to kill me (the DR, MR and health will be very useful). I'm going to try and get overly scarred for beauty drops.

8. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Dreadfully sorry about spreading misinformation, although I still have some sort of recollection about a curse. Probably got it mixed up with the blood curse, as you say. The wiki does refer to a curse for killing Arbalah, but that information is likely to be faulty as well.

9. Jojobobo

Save it, I don't need your shitty excuses, you human filth!

No, I seem to strongly remember that you could get cursed by him to. As I said, I'm inclined to think it was in the demo and then was changed to the Gypsy Blood Curse on the game's release. Given that it's not in Virgil's Debug Menu and I doubt Drog would have made such an oversight, I think it was pulled from the game. In any case the character I needed it for I'm going to hold off on playing anyway, at least for the time being.

Our Host!