Latest UAP vs other hacks, patches, etc, etc

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by papa_dog_1999, May 21, 2015.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    So it's be a long time since I've played and my memory was never that great to begin with. I'm having a hard time remembering what is compatible with which and in what order they should be installed. I think there used to a thread regarding this, but since the search functionality has yet to be restored, I have to pick your collective noggins

Do the UAP and the A:WIP get along well with each other?
    Do they have any issues with:

Arcanum High Resolution Patch 1.1a - Supports any resolution higher than 800x600

Virgil cheat dialog (latest)
    Elemental Silence Patch - this will quell the loud sounds made by the various elemental spells
    portraits.zip - a Portrait Pack 1 By Lazerus
    portraits.zip - a portrait pack By DarkSentinel [info]
    custombackgrounds.rar - by Deathsangel, info thread here
    ultralitebread.zip - bread that reduces the weight of your inventory!
    Ammo.zip - ammunition no longer has weight
    Arcanum_Splash_2010.zip - new loading screens!

Same question for these. Plus what to they do?
    cargo_hold_v1_0.zip - now assimilated in rroyo's WIP
    sinbads-ship-cabin-and-cargo-hold.exe

Also these. I don't remember what they do. (the links are failing for me atm):
    Magick Restoration Mod v100306 - info here, compatible with the unofficial patch.
    ArcanumMagicMod.zip - by LUCHAIRE

Not sure of the difference here:
    arcanum_uptolevel127_1074.zip
    Arcanum universal level cap remover v0.0.1 - Works with the Unofficial Patch by Drog Black Tooth

Running on lack of sleep, so I hope this all makes since.

Also, for the ones that work with each other, what is the order of install?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  2. on1ondevelopment

on1ondevelopment Member

Any mods adding portraits should be compatible with anything, as those are just defined by a text file and a folder with image files. I'm not sure of the other mods though, but I do know that UAP and A:WIP aren't compatible with each other. UAP is good for experiencing the original game with many fixed bugs and some restored content, while A:WIP adds new areas, items, characters etcetera, expanding the main story.

Currently I use UAP v. 091225, High Resolution Patch 1.1a & High Quality Townmaps.

On the High Resolution Patch page, I found this:

High Quality Townmaps is compatible with UAP, but UAP also edits the maps a bit if I recall correctly, though HQT overrides the change if installed after UAP.

Order of installation:

1. Arcanum base game (That is, if your game does not come with 1.0.7.4 already, if your game is patched to 1.0.7.4 already then skip the second part)
    2. Arcanum patch 1.0.7.4
    3. Unofficial Arcanum Patch 091225
    4. High Quality Townmaps
    5. High Resolution Patch

I don't think the order of 4 & 5 of the latter matters, you can probably install HRP before HQT as well.

I hope I have been of any help, this is as much as I've been able to piece together.

3. papa_dog_1999

Media:
  4. Leonidus

Leonidus Member

I am not going to take the time to look through the game files of these patches/hacks, but I can tell you that because of the way Arcanum files it is quite likely that the following files from that list should be fine if applied AFTER the UAP and AWIP.

Elemental Silence Patch
    Virgil cheat dialog
    portraits.zip (both)
    ultralitebread.zip
    Ammo.zip
    Arcanum_Splash_2010.zip
    Arcanum universal level cap remover v0.0.1

Some of the others I am not sure about.

The Elemental Silence Patch is the riskiest one, because it will probably overwrite the entire spells it fixes, if not all spells. This cancels any modifications from UAP or AWIP, if that is the case. As spells are sometimes triggered to cause things, that carries a risk of problems.

Same for the other magic spell changes you listed.

The item changes (ammo, bread) should only change those specific item files, really no big deal, unless AWIP has some different ammo scheme.

Splash and portraits are only specific art file changes, should be irrelevant.

Universal level cap remover should always be good to go.

Virgil cheat dialog would replace any modified dialog from AWIP, but it's probably worth it anyway. It's a great debug tool for if something goes wrong in the game.

5. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    Thank you, sir.
    You've answered some concerns and confirmed others.
    The files you listed are what I mostly used. I held off on the Elemental Silence Patch simple because I couldn't remember what all it did to achieve it's desired effect.
    I haven't done the cap remover yet. I'm only level 18, so I think I have some time yet. :D

6. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, the Elemental Silence patch simply turned the sound effects for the spells into a either a silent sound file or something similar. So I believe it's pretty compatible with most game mods.

This is based off my hazy memory though, so I could be wrong. That was one of the few mods I was an avid user of, however, and I don't recall any problems with it's use combined with all of Drog's patches.

7. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    Thank you, Philes.
    You are a Master of Useful Haziness and an all round Fine Fellow.

8. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I would tip my hat at you sir, but at my current level of inebriation I'm afraid I would simply fall over.

9. kelly1961

kelly1961 New Member

10. kelly1961

kelly1961 New Member

OK but which of the above mentioned mods work with awip? And can I have both a uap and a awip version at the same time? How and where do I find download for awip? When I load awip what files do I load with it? (ie high resolution etc)

11. t-roll

t-roll New Member

Hey guys I know is old thread but resurrecting temporarily .

Luchaire's Magic Mod is not compatible with custom backgrounds as both override the effects.mes file under data/rules
    I actually made a patch between them if anyone is interested

Also the UAP extended animation has a fix for small machined plate armor . I got that too if anyone is interested. Is actually buried in the forums.

There was another backgrounds mod that had Gunslinger background but I cannot find it anymore.

12. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

You could maybe contact a mod about getting them hosted, there should be some interest.

Our Host!