Smuel's good morning extravaganza

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smuel, May 3, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I learnt today to never overload a washing machine - the belt inside came off so I've spent the better part of my day first panicking as I had no idea what had happened to it, then disconnecting all the pipes to the water supply, then jiggling the heavy fucker out for the very narrow space it occupies in a counter unit (which is no small task given the concrete inside), then removing the back panel and reattaching the belt after watching a youtube video on the subject, then putting the back panel back on, then jiggling it back into place, then reattaching my pipes to the water and waste supply and getting drenched in the process (for some reason the little tap that turns the water on and off can't be adjusted once the washing machine connecter is in place as it's too big and obstructs it from turning, so you have to turn the water supply on then try and connect the pipe - fun, right?) and now finally I can put the wash on again. That'll teach me to try and clean out my old clothes so I can give them to charity!

I'm sure now that it's fixed and my life is no longer in turmoil I'll have a Good Afternoon, and so should you. On the bright side, I did discover this other washing machine related video.

2. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Apparently a 780,000-strong facist horde has crawled out of Sweden's woodwork. So I can't really pretend that the any part of the past day has been particularly good.

3. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

I'd say 4 years of neglecting the interest of ~10% of our population would be the major reason for this result. Not bringing up immigration on the agenda and providing solutions and/or ideas did, obviously, not help. Also, campaigns that create a "we vs. them" feeling simply alienates voters who feel that the current immigration policy is not working.

The best advise I've seen circling around these past few days is "talk TO the voters (of the Sweden Democrats), not ABOUT them". Or, to elaborate a little bit "get closer to the voters (of SD) without getting closer to the ideology (of SD)".

Easier said than done.

There's one thing shining in the darkness, thought. SD could be considered a classic populist party, with lots of expensive ideas but no clear way of financing said ideas, meaning that they'll (most likely) lose mandate after this period.

HAVE A NICE DAY.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Good ideas. Unlikely to actually happen though. You have the grandiose self-image of the left against you there.

Also, I should post that backer beta LP.

Good evening.

5. Transparent Painting

Re:

Awww, dicks.

Good evening.

6. Jojobobo

You crazy swedes do confuse me sometimes.

But hey relax, it's not like weird shit happens when you form a weak coalition government to lead your country... actually, hold on a tick...

Good evening.

7. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

The only point I agree with the Sweden Democrats on is how "if you feel that the immigration policy needs to be addressed, you're automatically considered a racist," which is all Jante law, all the way. Nobody wants to be considered a racist, so nobody can say or do anything about it for fear of being called out.

Of course also I agree that the policy needs to be addressed.

8. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Isn't Jante Law the whole "don't-think-that-your-better-than-the-group" mentality? Resentmet towards indivdual achievement and so forth? (I actually kind of like it.) The "nobody-wants-to-be-a-racist" thing seems like an ordinary ad hominem to me, and a fairly weak one at that. Or am I misunderstanding you?

I think most people feel that immigration "needs to be addressed", but that doesn't necessarily have to involve increasing or decreasing immigration. It's more of an integration issue really, but as soon as that word is brought up that people like to shout 'racist' - likely because they're confusing it with assimilation.

To my understanding, it's the areas with the lowest immigrationt which contains the most SD voters. They're hardly the ones that are likely to feel the effects of a poor immigration policy. It's likely that their support has much to do with political contempt. But hell, now I'm talking about them again. Must be my grandiose leftist self-image.

9. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

There are good things about Jantelaw but also alot of bad things. Jantelaw is also slightly "Don´t try to be better than your peers" which is most obvious in Socialdemokraterna a few years ago. When you couldn't announce that you wanted to be party-leader, because that would automatically disqualify you.

10. Transparent Painting

Re:

Hard to tell. Two examples doesn't add up with the idea that areas with little to no immigration has the highest support for SD is Danderyd and Täby*. These municipalities has a fairly low amount of immigrants, being of the wealthier kind, but it's also areas where SD had very little support, compared to, for example, Södertälje and Salem, areas which, based on pure assumptions, there's a higher degree of recent immigrants.

Based on this highly scientific survey, it is evident that SD has support in areas where the problems of a failed assimilation is more apparent.

*Northern suburbs of Stockholm, for those who don't know.

11. Jojobobo

Happy Chinese Pigeon Anal Inspection Day!

Also, good evening.

12. Byzantine

Byzantine Member

I've heard that being an anal inspector for baby chickens (which, when done properly, can determine their sex) is a very lucrative job profession. From what I've read, this involves looking for a small dimple in the chick's rectum, which indicates that it's a male. I imagine this is fairly important for husbandry and the like. I'm not a chicken farmer.

Oh. And on a completely different topic... Apparently, a rational political argument against the construction of wind farms is that they look ugly and decrease land value. Hmm.

Good evening.

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Decrease land value is rational. Don't wind farms absorb the moisture from the ground and dry out the area?

14. Byzantine

Byzantine Member

Sorry, Zanza. I was a little vague; I was referring to land value in terms of aesthetics, which to me, isn't really much of a convincing argument, unless you consider placing a wind farm in the dead centre of a busy suburb, or amongst skyscrapers. I don't understand how calling wind turbines "ugly monstrosities" adds anything to the discourse, save perhaps an online flame war.

According to a study from last year*, yes, they're known to affect surface temperatures when in large amounts (that is, a large group of wind farms in one area, or wind farms of greater structual sizes) by literally acting as giant fans (this can be either a boon or a setback, depending on the season). In other words, they can potentially shag local agriculture royally if they're not strategically controlled or placed so as not to impact irrigation. Despite this drawback, wind turbines don't require water directly to operate.

On the political stage, however, I'm a little cautious as to why certain groups oppose considerations for renewable energy such as wind power and solar energy (in conjunction with other forms, such as uranium or clean fossil fuel technology). But much like what Grossenschwamm's said in a previous thread, people will always find ways to bend research to suit their own agenda.

Evening.

* http://environmentalresearchweb.org/cws ... news/52737

15. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

16. Byzantine

Byzantine Member

17. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Re:

No, you're thinking of moisture farms.

Good morning.

18. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Where is everybody? Even Dark Elf is MIA apparently, since the latest PoE update hasn't been posted yet.

Good Evening. To myself.

19. Byzantine

Byzantine Member

I'd suggest a merger with the No Mutants Allowed forums, but I'd probably end up getting yelled at.

Good morning.

20. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Well, DE recently bought a house so he is probably off pay mobster or some other.

Our Host!