Beta Version of Arcanum

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by RunAwayScientist, Oct 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

He doesn't exactly like this community much anymore. He's occasionally here (using DrogAlt), but I think he's mainly a Dragon Age person these days.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

3. Oracle

Oracle Member

So the beta has been found then? This reminds me of that lost module that got posted much later then arcanums release.

4. berryla

berryla New Member

anyone else who wishes to step up to the plate.

5. Cephean

Cephean New Member

6. NamelessOne

NamelessOne New Member

I downloaded that about a week ago, but it was from different site (they also had press demo, which is different than actual beta, although the beta is also labeled as press demo in readme, beta is dated 10/09/2000 while demo is from 2001) I found by googling. Pretty sure it is same file though as the size matches. I don't think that Russian site really works. Not sure if you're allowed to post that here, but I don't think anyone cares anymore. Activision (?) having rights and Troika being dead I can't really see any problem with sharing the beta. Besides it is almost (there are differences though since it's an earlier build) same as demo version that got shared pretty liberally to press and I think the demo version was available atleast partially for public (like on PC gamer CD), but I'm not sure since I never bothered trying or searching any demos before buying actual Arcanum way back. Regardless, they aren't full games sadly. Full beta would have been more interesting although these demo versions have assets (like files for Tulla, noticed after I extracted the dats) from full game, but they end after Tarant. Interestingly though I remember hearing rumors very long ago (like in 2001 when Arcanum still was a new thing) claiming that earlier build of actual full game had leaked before the release. I think they meant those beta/demo versions though.

Tried to mod those beta graphics into actual game (by just copying the art files) too as beta-restoration mods are far more complete, but gave up as the art files weren't fully compatible and I wasn't feeling doing that much work. Too much had changed in final build and lots of stuff ended up having wrong art. The art in the beta is pretty nice though. Personally I think it is better than in final version, but could be just because almost any change is better at this point due to completing the game so many times.

Those who want something to do with this stuff can feel free to PM me. Not sharing the download links openly unless someone from moderation allows that. They should be fairly easy to google anyway.

Edit:
    I learned there exist some sort of full "beta" that leaked as warez. I would be interested to know what warez group (if any) released it and what files (names etc.) the release contains.

Our Host!