A new french module

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by Nataku, Sep 6, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. pl1982

pl1982 New Member

Thanks for all your hard work Nataku! Will check out Crossroad as soon as possible.

2. Nataku

Nataku Member

So, does anyone began testing CrossRoad [​IMG]
    Hope you will enjoy it.

Btw, I will released the 2.0 French demo approximatively December the first. I doubt some of you will play it because it is in French and it is mainly social but, if there are some other French-speaker here...

Anyways, good game :partyhat:

3. Nataku

Nataku Member

4. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

I've downloaded it and am looking forward towards trying it out. However, I'm working nights 6 days a week until Christmas so I probably won't be able to pay your mod the amount of energy and attention it deserves until the holidays.

5. Leonidus

Leonidus Member

Looking forward to this, but probably won't be in less than a few months sadly.

I'll just tell you it's excellent in advance.

6. Nataku

Nataku Member

Hello...
    It's not my usual way insisting like presently, but... any news ?
    Actually my brother worked really hard on the translation, I hope some people will make the most of it :hump:

7. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

I suppose this means that your mod doesn't work with the gog version of Arcanum.
    I tried it and got as far as to the bartender. Regardless of which alternative I choose (either "That's right" or "No I'm <player name> the Butcher") he's got nothing to say but the dialogue box remains locking me in dialogue. The same thing happens when I talk to the dwarf pirate but you can exit the dialogue by clicking on the box.

I seduced the captain's wife with a persuasion character (picking the you can't live here as a slave option leads to a dead end), but the option to speak with him about her isn't visible. Instead you have one of the captain's responses to being asked if he only picks people like the player ("Yes it's often such people I hire. But sometimes I find people like me....etc) as a dialogue option (it doesn't fit in the box, obviously). This option leads to a new branch of dialogue where you can choose to tell him that his wife is unhappy and that you're gonna loose your virginity at midnight.

These errors are likely due to me using the gog version of Arcanum, but I thought that I should tell you anyway in case they aren't.

It seems interesting though, and the intro (narrated by what I'm guessing is a ghost or imaginary friend) was very nice, so I'll try to reinstall it if I ever reattach my ODD to my computer.

8. Nataku

Nataku Member

Re:

No, actually it's okay with GOG version, no matter.
    All the dialogs bugs result from some translation mistakes because they are okay in French. I will check them and some other dialogs tonight and will give a link to the corrected ones. Some lines numbers could have changed.
    I hope I will fix the maximum of them to do not make your test too tiresome.

It's your imaginary friend.

9. Nataku

Nataku Member

Okay, I corrected all the boat dialogues I guess. But there were a lot of mistakes : actually some brackets {/} disappeared in the translation (probably due to the copy/paste).
    I think I will take one or two day to correct all the module dialogues and test it again before sharing these bugged files (sorry, eventually I insisted for a unready mod :( )
    But Friday night it should be okay.

I will reupload it too. But if you want, to make if more simple for you, you can undat it and I would send you only the dialogues et MES files (all text excluding dialogues).

Thanks for telling me these bugs exist. And, even after my corrections and test, they will probably be some little mistakes depending of your choices (I cant' test all lines). Thanks to tell me everytimes you see one of these mistakes).
    Thanks.

10. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Great, I'll wait for the re-release as I haven't time for more gaming until Sunday anyway.

As for character suggestions, I'm wondering about the usage of skills. Is there a use for every skill (including the useless ones from Arcanum, such as Spot and Disarm Traps) or should I stick with the lazy melee/dodge? As posted earlier I noticed persuasion options, but if there are ways to waste points (unusable technological disciplines due to lack of parts comes to mind) it'd be good to know.

I'm really looking forward to giving Cross Road another go.

11. Nataku

Nataku Member

Re:

Yeah. Actually, I forgot mention it here : there are some totally useless skills (sorry if I misname them in English but you should understand anyways) : stealing (there is no way to use it after the prologue), unlock doors (I never give lockpicks and, if you begin with one, a script will destroy if after the prologue), divination (what a useless arcane), Surprise attack (no way it could be useful), haggling (you won't really need gold even you will be able to buy stuff, you will understand why).
    There are some others which are not completely useless but I really "unadvice" them : repair, find and disarm traps, the conveyance arcane.

Excluding them, you can use approximatively all other. You can use archery, firearms or melee to attacking there will be no matter. Melee is probably lightly more difficult but I have already done it in real-time combat, it's not impossible. Spells are a possible way too, even the meta (useless in the main game).

I tried make all these characters types quite equilibrated (except for the melee, for those you want a hard module).

12. Nataku

Nataku Member

Hi.

1. I forgot mention the gambling is totally useless at this time. I don't know if it could become useful one day, not as its primary use, but for some quests.
    2. I have almost finished correct all dialogues, I will start the test soon
    3. The new demo should be released tomorrow

13. Nataku

Nataku Member

And here we are ! (once again...)

This time, I have made something really more simple for the downloading : I created a Google Drive folder which contains
    1.The English demos of CrossRoad (1.5 demo and the Add-on for the 1.4 demo)
    2.The French 2.1 Demo (which includes the train)
    3.Holliae, a module a created several years ago (in French)

Okay. So, there is two solutions contained in that file :
    1.You have not yet downloaded the 1.4 Demo (no longer available) or you prefer destroy it, you can download the 1.5 demo and play it (the file "CrossRoad EN - 1.5 Demo.rar" will be available in few hours in the Drive file, because it's quite big)
    2.You have already the 1.4 Demo. You will have to undat it. Then, you can download right now the file "CrossRoad EN - Add-on 1.4 Demo to 1.51.rar" from the Drive file and follow the instructions (simple)

Sorry if it's look like a shady sales offer. I just tried to make is as simple as possible.

Just few precisions :
    -I corrected a lot of dialogues and tested the module in English. I succeeded correcting all bugs I've found. So, this time, you SHOULD be able to play it entirely
    -I anticipated future possible bugs and, as it's written in the new ReadMe, I will be able to correct them and share the new files easily (because this time CrossRoad is not compressed as .dat)
    -Downloading a file from a GoogleDrive folder in not intuitive : a message error could appear when you select the file but it's only because Google Drive can't "read" the .rar file. There is a arrow in the right inferior corner, it's the download icon. (Don't think I consider you stupid, it's just because I know some people don't see this arrow)

Okay, here is the link to the folder :
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1iMAY0PAfUCWmJYbnNTbXE0ZlU&usp=sharing

Good game everyone :bunny:

EDIT : The 1.5 demo is now available. And btw, the Facebook page become CrossRoad - An Arcanum module (because of the important number of pages named "Crossroad"
    EDIT : I changed the files names to 1.51, but obviously, in the futur it will become 1.52, 1.6, ... I will create some add-on for a while before merging all of them on a Demo. Each add-on will transform a demo, for example 1.4, to the latest demo existing (for now 1.51). So you will never need to download more that one Add-on

14. Leonidus

Leonidus Member

Downloading and installing this today.

Gave me an error when clicking on the google drive button for 1.5 EN demo. At the "Sorry, error" screen though, lower right hand corner has a downarrow button which let's you download anyway.

Apparantly google gives the error because the file is too big to scan for viri.

15. Nataku

Nataku Member

Re:

Good game

Already said it :bunny: (with my quite bad english)

Actually, the error message occurs because Google Drive can't show a .rar (it can read a pdf, word, excel, ... doc without downloading them, that's why it tries to read docs. (I don't know if it's relative to the antivirus scan, maybe. But I won't give you virus intentionally :p )
    Anyways, CrossRoad can be downloaded in English. I'm so glad :D :D :D

Btw, I copied the download link :
    1-On the first message of the same page of this topic
    2-On my signature
    You should never be looking for it :heart:

16. Leonidus

Leonidus Member

I'm sure you're really anticipating any feedback so I'll give you some quick first impressions to calm you down my friend.

Overall so far seems like a good creative mod. I like the premise of the story and the friend.

The afterlife setting is good. Not sure how far I was supposed to get on the pirate ship, but I walked the plank pretty early. Being killed by the captain never triggered the afterlife.

There were some pretty lame bugs so far. First game the door wouldn't unlock after you awake from drunkenness, no matter what I did. I have the save file to verify this, I was not doing it improperly. Second time with the same character (restarted) the captain always attacked in the morning after drunkenness, because Escaped Lunatic reaction penalty combined with his morning grumpiness made him hostile (he was not hostile in dialogue before). Need an "If reaction < 20, then reaction = 20" script or something. Third time with a new character without Escaped Lunatic background it worked out. I also stole less items so that might be related?

The english translation is rough all over, in that it doesn't sound like a native english speaker wrote it at all, but it works in that we can always tell what you're trying to say. Example: the battlecry "Surely, I will show you that my power is not limited!" is not something an english speaker would say, but we get the idea.

In this brief part I've played so far though, everything has been well crafted scripted events, there have been unique dialogue options which are interesting (ex: the wife of the captain on the ship), there's thought put into what the player has to do, and creativity in the design.

Basically, it seems interesting and well done, and I'm going to play more of course.

17. Nataku

Nataku Member

Re:

0:) Thanks

Actually, the prologue (the pirate boat) always stop here. You can't go further and, if you die before, I didn't planned anything about going to hell. That could be very strange, but the prologue HAVE TO takes place exactly on two days. So I consider that the players failed if he died before. Obviously, your character will be going to hell, but this is a GAME OVER :oops:

Obviously I trust you, but I never saw that bug, nor in the English demo, neither in the French one. I would appreciate if you can send me the save file, just to state that by myself.

Okay, I will correct it.
    I had ever noticed that bug with the employers in the memories but never with the captain
    . It's regardless of how many items you still.
    EDIT : It's corrected, that why he wasn't "aloof" (aloof = reaction towards the player doesn't include the race difference for example, and his race of black elf make him hostile). So I adjust his reaction to 15 whatever the circumstances could be). I will send a file of some of you want make the correction.

Actually, it's really a hard work. I took a special care to do expressive dialogues in the French version, so I hope it doesn't make dialogues unpleasant to follow. If you find really bad expressions, you can signaled them to me with an alternative proposition, I will gladly change them.

Okay. Thanks for this first feedback, I hope you will enjoy what is going to happen :)

18. Nataku

Nataku Member

Re: Re:

Okay, so this is online. I remind you of this is just if you desire to play a really antipathic character (escaped lunatic for example, maybe the demonic pact).
    You can download it on the Google Drive folder (link on my signature) and, to do not multiply the number of Add-on, complements, ... I included it on the former "Complement to the 1.4 Demo", now "CrossRoad EN - Add-on 1.4 Demo to 1.51" and re-uploaded it (if you didn't took in anymore). I will re-upload the complete demo once there will be more new files.
    So, this file is named "CrossRoad EN - Add-on 1.5 Demo to 1.51" and a .txt file explain how to simply incorporate it in CrossRoad.
    About former saves, 1.This it the really beginning of the module, so could begin a new game if there is a bug but 2. It shouldn't create any bug if you are not yet on the morning (are can create minors one if you are) 3.Once again, it's not important if you character isn't antipathic.

I hope this Add-on system will be simpler, I will edit my previous posts.
    Good game and keep signaling me any bugs you notice. Thanks

19. Leonidus

Leonidus Member

I had already started a new character to go through the game so I didn't need that bug corrected immediately or anything, it's just to let you know.

The insane asylum circle is nice, I like how the airduct is set up. Lot of stuff to do in there, like
    kill the fires to fight elementals, place bait to fight spiders, alice and wonderland style big & smallness, the sphinx riddles, destroying the gas tank
    , etc. It takes thought on the player's side to complete and shows thought on the creator's side to make. That's the best kind of original rpg content.

The spiders I couldn't fight with melee weapons. I had made an ogre fighter after that failed human Escaped Lunatic (thought a simpler character would simplify things). I had to use what few molotovs I had, and when that ran out, spent 2 character points to get the Jolt spell for area electrical damage to use against them. It's probably because the spiders are marked as small and half-ogre's are large size.

Right now I'm stuck in the asylum
    after having found the prisoner souls. The game says I can't go back in the airducts from the Director's office because I miss Boop so much, and my passcard is cancelled and won't work on the regular doorways.
    The light wooden door near the office won't open still. I had tried from a previous save going different ways after
    the prisoners are found
    , but still no way to get out of the asylum.

Duct to the outside of the castle with the locked door and gate goes nowhere (except unlocking the door with the button), elevator goes between basement and ground floor, ducts go between elevator and director's office but once in the office you can't go back, there's an unopenable hatch in the ductways ("you are unlikely to be able to open"), locked light wooden door near director's office, regular doorways refuse passcard, etc.

20. Nataku

Nataku Member

Re:

You mean you were unable to hit them, even with the automatic attack when you are under attack ? What a strange bug. I never played CrossRoad with an half-ogre (because I dislike the dumb sentences) but I see no reason of why they couldn't attack little foes (we meet a lot of little enemies in Arcanum).

You should not be able to go back to the director office when you have found the inmates. Can you go there, even after you pass is canceled ? Actually, you have to find another exit in the only place you still go through : the basement. You will probably find another exit there.
    P.S : Thanks using the spoiler option when you talk about important facts that happen in the asylum :bunny:

Our Host!