Reputations

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Ruda, Sep 16, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

So, I've played this game quite a few times now and I find myself quite familiar with most matters concerning it. However, when browsing the newly created "Arcanum Wikia" I noticed that there are a whole buttload of reputations that I haven't seen (or even heard of) even though I've fulfilled all stated requirements.

We have the usual "Hero of Shrouded Hills", "Hero of Wheel Clan", "Enemy of <insert location>", "Survivor of the crash of the ISF Zephyr", "Pervert of Tarant". I'm guessing all of you have acquired these.

But then there are reputations such as "Killer of the beautiful Clarissa Shalmo, the Throwing Master of Caladon" (Yes, Caladon, not Blackroot.), "Murderer of Fawn, the Healing Master" and "Betrayer of Magnus Shale Fist" (as well as "Master of <insert skill>), none of which I've seen.

Now, I've been insulted and subsequently killed Miss Shalmo, I've butchered all of Quintarra for giggles and even on my "good" playthroughs I tend to betray the lying sack of shit that is Magnus.

So, what's up with that?

2. Deman

Deman Member

To my knowledge, the two former weren't implemented in the game (they are referred to in some of files however). To betray Magnus you'll have to refuse to join in when he's about to attack the Schuylers.

3. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

I have betrayed Magnus to the Schuylers but that doesn't grant me a special reputation. Perhaps it is hidden and solely exist to cause his reaction to drop to less than zero (since, as far as I can tell, betraying Magnus doesn't have any effect elsewhere in the world)? But couldn't they have made this as a direct result of your dialogue choice, instead of involving reputations.

Also, slightly off topic, what's up with Magnus casting Quench Life on you and your party, once you ditch him after he's admitted that he'd lied about any relation between him and the Schuyler dwarves?

4. wastelandhero

wastelandhero New Member

Re:

Magnus doesn't it cast, he's a Dwarf, he can't. Some thought it had to do with his book, but it was proved otherwise. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I don't think many people have really tried, or cared, to figure it out either. Just part of the game.

5. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

The 'Master of <skill>' reputations have been re-implemented in the UAP. Note that, thieving skills don't receive a mastery reputation (for obvious reasons).

As for Magnus and his necromancy. This issue was brought up several times during the UAP development but I ultimately decided to not do anything, as it's quite possible that it really was intended as some kind of a curse. Basically, nobody was able to prove that it's a 100% bug, so I left it in.

6. Deman

Deman Member

Re:

Hmm, that is strange. Does the line underneath this text ever appear when you're about to betray him?

I'm so very sorry, Magnus. My decision has been made.}{}{5}{}{-13}{fp, rp 1075}

That's the one which gives you the reputation and with it, Magnus' reaction is lowered quite a bit (though it's actually possible to recruit him again after the betrayal). I don't see the point of the reputation either. Its effect could definitely have been handled differently. Maybe it was supposed to play a role later in the game.

7. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Re: Re:

Well, the developers just weren't as defiant as you, you little piece of shit.

8. Deman

Deman Member

9. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Aww never go for the retro edit when you've been called on it, that is the epitome of lack of something good.

Our Host!