Trends that need to die

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jungle Japes, Jul 3, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. No.9

No.9 New Member

Then it hasn't actually solved anything, has it?

Every time I think of causing someone bodily harm (which used to be more often than I'd like to admit), I would weigh whether it was worth it to do jail time for that person. The answer was, most often, not so much.

2. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

Violence might solve problem A and, in the process, create problem B. Problem A still remains solved, thought.

3. No.9

No.9 New Member

Fair enough. I really only exist to contradict Smuel whenever I can, whether it follows a logical thread or not.

4. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

From my perspective, trousers follow a twenty year fashion cycle: tight => baggy => repeat.

I prefer the baggy pants phase for the sake of circulation and mobility and I spent the last two cycles sticking with my team through the lean years.

As to half-mast baggy trousers, this is indeed silly. I heard that the trend started not from skateboarders protecting the junk, but from prison whores advertising their arses.

I think it's so popular, peer pressure notwithstanding, because it is instinct for a young man to pull his trousers down.

Presumably it will be selected against over time as they fail to waddle across the road quickly enough. Meanwhile, skinny jeans lower sperm count so, once again, natural law saves the day.

5. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Re:

The "prison whores" origin sounds more like a story made up to try to discourage the trend.

Even more silly than half-mast baggy trousers are half-mast tight trousers. I regularly observe the skinnyest of jeans culminating in a shapeless baggy mess starting mid-thigh. Perhaps next time I see someone wearing them that way I shall test wobbler's junk-protection theory by administering a swift kick in the nuts. If my foot fails to make contact with the crotch then the hypothesis is supported.

Such an experiment will also serve to demonstrate my prior assertion that violence solves most problems.

6. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Those "pants on the knees" originally came from prison, where those inmates weren't allowed to wear belts. That is how all this started.

This trend is just as bad as in the 80's, when there were the harem trousers, tight leather pants, sweaters with a reindeer motive, very tight jeans, long poodle hair or the sweat-bands. Thank [insert deity] that those trends died.

7. No.9

No.9 New Member

I dunno, reindeer jumpers: they're not all bad, amirite, ladies?!

[​IMG]

Oh wait, I think there's only one other lady here?

8. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I don't think there are any ladies here. Zing!

9. No.9

No.9 New Member

Well, there certainly seems to be a dearth of gentlemen.

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

:lol:

My #1 peeve with today's world is just how easily brain-dead idiots have their every comment accepted as gospel.

Case in point: That priest in Iraq (I think...) who proclaimed the reason there was a drought was because the U.S. was stealing the clouds!
    And that still pops up in the news chat-rooms on a regular basis.... :eek:

11. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Governor Sonny Perdue stole the clouds in 2007, when he used the powers vested in his office to pray for rain, which obviously is the rational solution when you are the responsible public official and you have a drought at hand. The Lord found the offering pleasing and shuffled some atmospheric moisture around, because fuck Iraq.

12. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I've only just found out that X-Men: The Last Stand finishes with Xaiver still being alive (apparently it's alluded to in Wolverine somehow but I'll probably watch that next week - I found out about it totally randomly through other means tonight). Point of this is: end of credits Easter egg scenes need to die - I hope the person who devised that concept feels really bad about themselves. It means that when I'm in the cinema watching a film where I suspect there's an after the credits scene I stay there and wait for it. Of course I could just watch it on Youtube when I get home, but I think we all know it's just not the same (don't even bother with Monsters University, it's just not worth it). Jesus!

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The existence of post-credits scenes leaves me torn between two options whenever I go to the cinema. Option A is waiting till the end of the credits just in case there will be such a scene. Option B is not being a dick to the cinema worker who appears next to the exit when the credits start and has to stand there and wait until everyone leaves.

Edit: Spelling fix.

14. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Could say the people who don't watch the credits are being dicks to the people who work off the screen to make the movie amazing. I wouldn't, but that is an option though.

15. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

My local cinema is pretty understaffed so I think they just send someone in 10 minutes after the film has finished, so really it just depends whether I can bother sitting through the credits or not. Obviously, I bother every time. I wouldn't mind so much if it was just frivolous easter eggs I was missing out on if I didn't stay, but with X-Men: The Last Stand as people were commenting on the Youtube video "Wolverine took me here LOL" that scene is now likely an important part of the canon. It just seems like an annoyingly arbitrary way of enforcing people sit through the credits, I mean who really cares about who staffed the marketing or PR teams in god knows where? No-one, that's who!

16. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Our Host!