Neutral, magick, tech and...?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Muro, Feb 12, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Talking about the Isle of Despair sword in the other thread reminded me of a theory I wanted to share oh so long ago.

Starting from the sword, the fact that it's one of the most powerful weapons in Arcanum is quite intriguing, considering how it isn't enhanced by technology nor magick. Of course, the most probable explanation would be that it was never meant to be so powerful in the first place. With each of its stats on its own looking quite inconspicuous, it was fairly easy for Troika to overlook what a powerful mixture they create together.

That being said, the sword is in the game, and it's unusualness can either be ignored or explained with a sound theory aiding the world's coherency, especially when the sword isn't the only item of its type here. So, let's give the second option a try.

I pondered the nature of items in Arcanum. Anything with any significant power, bonus, functionality or complexity is proven to be aided either by magick or technology. Even something as simple as a chainmail demonstrates a slight technological background/"field"/"radiation", causing difficulty when worn by magickally inclined users. And so, indeed, the neutral category consists nearly exclusively of the most plain, simple, unimpressive weaponry and armors, all overshadowed by technological or magickal counterparts. Nearly exclusively. There are, however, some exceptions, some theoretically neutral items known for their supernatural bonuses despite not having a trace of a magickal or technological background.

To mention the ones I recall:

• the IoD sword (unwonted speed and power combo)
    • priest robes (magick resistance)
    • Jewel of Hebe (charisma and beauty bonus)
    • the finger of Mannox (critical hit chance bonus + melee bonus + willpower bonus + poison resistance)
    • Cassie's jewelry (significant magick resistance)
    • Pelojian's amulet (significant magick resistance)
    • Kryggird's falchion (extreme power + ability to pierce and inverse a regenerative shield)

Now, while I'm aware the last two have gameplay reasons to be that way (neutrality to be usable main quest items no matter the character's background, I'm looking at you, magick allergy), again, it's nice to have a lore explanation as well.

The theory is that these items have such amazing properties because they aren't neutral at all. Rather, they belong to an elusive fourth category, indistinguishable from "neutral" by an untrained eye. The items do not have a technological mechanism, they don't have a magickal spell cast on it. You don't see why they're supernatural. But you do see that they're more than just neutral. For they are...

...drumroll...

...divine.

The gods of Arcanum appear to be beings beyond magick and technology. The same can be said about blessings cast and curses thrown by said gods, be it directly or through selected priests. Who's to say these spiritual powers cannot be on extraordinary occasions enclosed within physical items as well.

Going further, perhaps divine isn't even a fourth category at all. Perhaps neutral equalled blessed from the very beginning, seeing how everything that exists in Arcanum was created by the gods and from the gods in the first place and is therefore of divine origin. A boot is divine, as is in its core a magickal dagger or a gun. But sometimes, on those mentioned special occasions, a god decides to put that little something more into a physical object, that tiny additional bit of his essence, and that's when we get one of the objects I listed above, which could be described as, uh, intensely divine? Sure, why not.

Making full circle and returning to the beginning of the thread, I consider the IoD sword to come from a forgotten/unknown deity, hence the lack of a proper name. As for the reason behind it being specifically in the hands of a bandit on the Isle of Despair, one possibility is simple plain old blind luck. Another: the deity placing/creating it there to aid the Living One in his journey. I like the second option better, because I enjoy theorising the gods of Arcanum playing a boardgame, with Arcanum being the board. Hey, nutty theories love company.

2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I like the idea, I think it's winning. As for the IoD sword, couldn't it have just gained Shakar's blessing by the fact it's being used in a fighting pit to kill a lot of people? Seems like a good rationale to me.

Other than that, I think that the all of items you've mentioned could easily be interpreted as divine and it gives a fitting explanation for their capabilities (one of the ones that gave me a slight pause for thought was Cassie's Jewelry, and while at first glance might not might not seem like a good candidate for a godly blessing, it would actually fall quite nicely under the purview of Geshtianna). Hence as a slight addage to the theory, I think some of these items could have gained a blessing by people acting in accordance to one of the gods' spheres of influence - though others, like Kryggird's falchion, were likely always blessed.

Overall a very nice theory. Good show.

3. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd hear Muro advocating the theory of creationism.

The gods exist, and divine powers exist, and transcend both magick and technology. It does seem to be a fourth category of nature.

It doesn't automatically follow that the gods made everything and the whole of 'creation' is divine.

(Pelojian's amulet was magick in vanilla, btw.)

4. Leonidus

Leonidus Member

I found this truly profound Muro. Quite the rich addition my good man.

I replied not to offer my moral support, but to point out that the Sword of the Derian Ka also gives a +5 damage bonus regardless of aptitude while being a [strike]neutral[/strike] divine item. This I know only because you mention it in your beautiful weapon database.

Thanks again for all that you do here.

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I like what you added to the theory, Jojobobo. With it, we could for example assume that while Mannox was a firm believer in the Panarii religion, his unparalleled devotion to revealing the truth could inspire Halcyon to bless his relics.

I found it hard to remain sceptical in a world where angering or pleasing a god causes tangible results, being brought back from the dead included.

I take it you are proposing a non-supernatural origin of Arcanum, in which the gods are among the results rather than the causes?

That, of course, is not impossible. The pagan gods book and quest suggests a "lesser gods - greater gods - highest god" hierarchy, and while pagan religions of all races believed the highest god to be the All-Father from whom all was created, nothing in the game really proves that he is the creator.

I like to think he is, though, telling myself that with both theories being equally unexplored, taking in-game lore for granted and deciding that ancient religions were correct is the path of lesser assumptions.

But then those magick allergics had to come and ruin it for all. The nerve of some people.

You have a point. [strike]It is indeed beaut-[/strike] The sword properties could indeed be explained as being caused by a divine nature. Taking the sword's history into consideration, Moorindal's blessing is the first thing that comes to mind.

I browsed through the database to see if any other neutral weapons could be suspected of being divine. I actually see two candidates.

The first one is first-axe of the Thunder Stones, Harrow. Firstly, it strikes incredible hard in the right hands. Now, the fact alone that its power depends on the user's race could be explained by the weapon being carefully adapted to dwarven anatomy. Could, though I'd expect such detailed treatment to leave a technological background. One way or another, then comes the fact that Harrow's damage also depends on the wielder's good/evil alignment. I say Alberich keeps a close eye on that weapon.

Another one that comes to mind is the Aerial Decapitator. It hits visibly harder than any magickal or technological throwing weapon. When it comes to average damage per action point, the only thing that outshines it is Azram's Star at higher magick aptitudes, and that's only because the Star is slightly faster. A single hit from the Decapitator is always deadlier than from the highly magickal Star, no matter the aptitude.

6. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Either that, or he assumed a state of godliness himself. The whole Panarii religion seems to pose the question that anyone could be considered a god in the right cirumstances, à la Nasrudin.

7. Wasted_Savior

Wasted_Savior Member

Could all the above average neutral items be explained away by placebo, mass hysteria and the social reinforcements of Arcanum? If you believe an axe to be special does it become special?

The placebo effect is well documented and could theoretically make an individual more attractive to others or increase physical prowess with a weapon.

We can explain away many of the attribute bonuses easily enough with this theory. A placebo would have a marked effect in most categories of interest. Damage (Physical Strength), Speed (Mental Acuity and Adrenaline), Magical Resistance (Willpower?).

I'm certainly not sold on the theory yet, but I wanted to propose an alternative theory for us to ponder.

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I considered the placebo effect when I wondered whether receiving blessings in exchange for offerings proves the existence of gods in Arcanum. In the end I concluded that it does - it's hard to explain the resurrection granted for a successful final offering to Velorien otherwise.

As for items, the placebo effect could only explain so much. For example, magick resistance is the most elusive resistance in Arcanum. Even extreme willpower, while helpful against mental spells, doesn't lesser the damage you receive from a Harm spell. Only meta magick and controlled electricity do that, and none of those are present in the above items.

And then there's Kryggird's Falchion. Piercing and inversing a regenerative shield isn't something that can be explained by a high confidence of the wielder.

EDIT:

I just recalled one more neutral item with unusual powers hard to explain with the placebo effect alone, namely the Blade of Xerxes.

After analysing Arcanum's weapons one could come to a conclusion that 15 is the maximal speed an item can achieve without being magickally or technologically aided (apprentice training not counted), probably because there are physical limits which cannot be crossed. Few items reach that point, but only one exceeds it achieving a speed of 17, namely the mentioned blade, even though it obviously isn't of fine craftsmanship. Also, there's the second part of its odd powers, that is being the only known weapon (and only known anything for that matter) able to kill L'anamelach's host without releasing the demon, casting it away from Arcanum instead.

By the way, noticed Kryggird's falchion has one more noteworthy property. It's among the fastest neutral weapons and it's the fastest known 2-handed sword, neutral or otherwise. It's quite impressive that a weapon of such great size and strength requirement can be swung as fast as a rapier or a katana. Speed of 15, while an ordinary light falchion has but 6.

9. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Considering that the player has to go to such lengths to be resurrected at Vendigroth, I'd say the placebo effect applies.

I'm sure we've all stumbled onto the altar and died before reading the inscription, but in game terms, we could say that the sudden death and the resurrection are both psychosomatic.

As for the Blade of Xerxes, its placebo effect would apply to the demon itself, if it exists, or to the host who is, after all, an ancient and disturbed magick user. Weapon speed notwithstanding, of course.

I prefer the hypothesis that divinity is a fourth quality of nature, rather than nature being universally divine, or that divine influence is a product of mere placebo.

Technology is said to be natural law in extremis, while magick is natural law put aside for a time. Neither and both apply to divine influences, so I count them as seperate.

On the other hand... a grand unified theory of magick and technology might be that the nett perception of reality alters the universe over time, kind of like the Gnostic Heresy, that faith creates God. This would further explain the ebb and flow of magick in Arcanum, as the background radiation of commoners' belief in the laws of physics competes with the willpower of solopsistic elves and wizards.

In this theory, flexible and rigid laws of nature are both a product of perception or belief, and so the universe would include any and all exceptions to the laws, eg, the gods, so long as people believe in them. In other words, the entire Arcanum universe is a placebo effect.

Of course, on the other side of the fourth wall, we know this to be true. The entire Arcanum universe was actually created by pandimensional beings called Troika in a bid to sell video games.

10. NamelessOne

NamelessOne New Member

I don't really buy the placebo theory, but regardless it's a good explation. Reason why I dismiss it is because IIRC Troika was speaking about some form of "magick" or something similiar that would be compatible with technology. I believe they might have been most likely talking about divine stuff, but I recall they didn't explain it in detail. I think it was related to the Journey to the Centre of Arcanum and it was to feauture it as a part of the game. I'm not sure can you find that information anywhere these days hough. Feel free to correct me on this if this is not true.

Our Host!