It's almost over.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Oct 19, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Re:

The sex. Nobody is quite as fun in bed as the girl who throws knives at you when upset, or the girl who is overwhelmingly clingy. Every girl I have dated has been a crazy. I've known that going in, in both contexts, and nothing motivates a man more than this. It's why we're so willing to deal with knives and fist fights and getting thrown out of bars (only once. She puked on someone who annoyed her).

It's a nice change of pace to see Smuel butt-hurt about something. It's quiet, delicious vindication that's almost as enjoyable as dropping the ban hammer on someone.

2. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Re: Re:

Whoa. I'm going to have think about this later.

Okay, look, I'm very sorry about everything, Smuel. :hippy:

So, tell us more about your misguided ex, Yuki :monkey:

3. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

4. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

5. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Re: Re:

I did. Right before "a" but after "saying".

6. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Ah, yes. He was a she. You can definitely tell that Yuki takes a walk on the wild side. :) Did not she said it before, that her ex was a girl?

7. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

She has stated everywhere and to everyone that she is a homo, that is correct.

8. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I don't know why you're all making such a fuss about this. Most of my ex's have been female too.

9. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Little bit creepy.

10. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

It's okay, I've had a think about it already.

I expect she has blond pigtails and they met at one of those saunas where you whip each other with birch branches in the snow.

Sorry, Yuki, I mean no disrespect, it's just that everyone loves a lesbian.

11. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I don't, because lesbians have no room for guys!

12. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I was told by my sister that I should think about inviting my mother to my wedding. The night directly afterwards, my mother was in a dream I was having, and I also had stage four brain cancer.

I honestly wish you knew my mother, just so you would understand that my dream was indeed a metaphor. The very idea of her eats away at my mind, and causes severe physical reactions that I actually take blood pressure medication for, just in case I would have a fear response so powerful I'd get an aneurysm. So no, my mother isn't actually cancer, and I don't have cancer, but stress can and does kill people.

Not only that, you may want to re-select some words because random thoughts and memories can combine to form metaphors. Not all the time, but hey - that's how we come up with them during our waking hours, so why not while we're asleep? It's almost as if you're saying biological processes that allow metaphorical thoughts during non-REM consciousness don't happen while people are dreaming.

Also, Hurricane Sandy was fun.

13. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    HIS FAP LEVEL IS OVER NINE THOUSAND!

Interesting that the one example of a dream that you've given is at odds with how you say you normally dream, and yet is in keeping with what I've proposed - namely that your mother was brought to your attention during the day, and then later you had a dream that featured her because she was fresh in your mind.

I agree with what you wrote about the process that spots metaphors in your waking experience also spotting them in dreamed experience. It may even be more likely, because in the absence of external stimuli your brain is able to free-associate, and so there is more likely to be some kind of subjective connection between two adjacent dreamed experiences that you can then interpret as a metaphor when you wake up. But that still doesn't mean that "dreams are metaphors". It just means you're more likely to interpret them that way afterwards.

Maybe you think that's a trivial distinction, but I think it helps to give the lie to claims that the subjective experience of a dream has some kind of purpose. It's the underlying biological memory recall that has a purpose - the way this appears to your conscious mind when you wake is just a by-product, and shouldn't have so much emphasis placed on it.

14. Grossenschwamm

Re: HIS FAP LEVEL IS OVER NINE THOUSAND!

That is peculiar, and it's more like a one-off. I would've been more accurate to say stuff like that generally doesn't happen.

In general, they're not. I find that saying "all dreams are metaphors" is pretty indefensible, just as "dreams aren't metaphors" is. It's easy enough to have a dream that had nothing to do with your waking life other than things you already know, or might think about, though when you interact with someone during consciousness and think "This woman picks at me like some incessant and cruel thing..." then suddenly you dream she's a harpy...you may have found a metaphorical outlet to your waking thoughts.

Whether or not a person is more likely to metaphorically interpret a dream, that doesn't write off every dream as lacking metaphorical significance.

Well, consider this tidbit;

Your waking perceptions are governed by dopamine, serotonin, DMT, 5-MeO DMT, and Bufotenin. All neurotransmitters necessary to typical conscious function. A curious thing about all of these chemicals is they've each got psychedelic effects related to their workings, and so it could be said one's consciousness is a controlled psychedelic experience. The only difference between your "real" life and your dream one is the consensus of reality apparent to those with a sound mind, and what this implies is your dreams can be just as significant as your perceptions while awake, and simultaneously just as insignificant. Though, I'm guessing there's a set of inverse proportions related to that.

To write off one side of your mind's workings just because they happen within your own imagination is writing off the entire process of thought. All experiences are subjective, Smuel, and all realities are inherently unique via perspective. You might be familiar with the description of psychosis - It can certainly be agreed that while events occurring within the sufferer's perceptions are imagined, they're certainly real to that person.

Dreams don't need to be important, but sometimes (that'd be the key word) they actually are.

15. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

No, you're not allowed to consider anything macroscopic as meaningful. Only the molecules exist and any apparent meaning on the level of consciousness is only an illusion and not admissable on the internet, which from now on shall be called Smuel's High Court Of Reality.

Needless to say, Smuel is Judge, Judy and Exucutioner and, unfortunately, you're not allowed to talk about the mind-body interface unless you stick strictly to the physical and dismiss anything subjective.

16. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
  17. Grossenschwamm

Are you calling ytzk Jesus? If anyone here is close to that manner if speaking, it's xyle.

18. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for you, english: wallowing in cynicism in a cubicle somewhere in London.

Get on a plane and come smoke dope in your underpants in the subtropical rainforest with me.

A few months in a hammock will soon see you right.

19. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Gotta be honest, I don't know what threads on this forum are about anymore. I just click the last page, read the last few posts, and think "what? Oh well, I'll just reply to whatever Smuel or Arthgon say".

20. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

I do believe this particular thread has stayed on topic through a surprisingly large amount of posts. I mean, only six posts ago (this post exclude), Gross even mentioned dreams a couple of times. Of course, shortly afterwards it all escalated into a flame war, Cold War-style.

Ah, the beauty of it.

Our Host!