Aussieland

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Transparent Painting, Nov 7, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

I'll be in and around Sydney between the 2th of December and the 23th of December. If anyone is up for a beer/coffee/rape/similar, send me a message. Might also take a trip to Brisbane, plans are a little uncertain at the moment.

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

3. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Why go to Sydney when you can slum it in the Berra'?

4. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Why go to Australia when you can not go to Australia?

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

If you slummed it in Canberra I'm sure Vorak and I would be willing to wave.

6. Transparent Painting

Waving is more than I hoped for.

The reason for this trip is mainly to stay in contact with a couple of friends I've met earlier, who also happens to be working as geologists. I consider Australia (along with Canada) to be a strong candidate for future jobs in the mining industry*, so I though that I might take a short trip down to see if I can stand the heat/manage to stay away angry natives and/or other dangerous animals..

A short trip to Canberra could probably be arranged. I mean, it's like it's the first time I meet up with total strangers from TA in town I've never been to before.

*Even if things are looking pretty grim at the moment.

7. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Queensland and Western Australia are big with the mines. Lots of money in it here. By lots I mean ridiculously large amount.

8. Transparent Painting

It feels like you're loosing your perspective when people in you age earn ten times as much as your parents do.

It also feels like you chose the right education.

9. Charonte

Charonte Member

Coon slave trade is also booming in those areas if you aren't successful in mining.

10. Transparent Painting

Looks like we're actually going to drive to Canberra and maybe stay there a few days, most likely sometime after the 8th of December.

11. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

12. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I went to Canberra once. My impression was that it was all laid out beautifully, like some kind of model city, but had no real character. I expect my opinion is invalid though, and somebody will come along in a minute to explain why.

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Opinions are never invalid Smuel. Anyone can have them.

14. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Wow man, what's happened to you? Being in the police turning you soft or something?

15. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I drove through Canberra today, heading from QLD to SA.

Driving without a map nor GPS nor directions nor much sleep, I confidently merged into the right lane then spluttered 'fuckityfuckfuckfuck!' as I realised the right lane was actually very wrong indeed and just avoided an oncoming car. That's probably about as exciting as it gets there.

In my defense, I've managed about a thousand miles of driving this week, and I was exceedingly tired. Also, I rescued a kitten from traffic in 40C heat while a redneck shouted 'Just kill it!"

Anyways, I'm still fatigued as I type this in a motel and I'll be on the road in the morning. Sorry I can't catch up with you, TP.

ytzk out.

16. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Wow man, what's happened to you? The ytzk of old would have camped out and smoked weed under the stars, not sat holed up in a motel. Did that buddhist retreat turn you soft or something?

17. Transparent Painting

Awww, shoot. What are you up to ytzk, working as a courier or something?

I'm currently residing in Randwick. Still not sure exactly when we'll be leaving this place, but I'll give you a heads up when I know.

18. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

You drove where?

To go through Canberra when going from Qld to SA would add about 600km to your trip assuming you were going from Brisbane to Adelaide or somewhere similar.

19. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I made a beeline for Adelaide at first, carefully avoiding Nimbin in case I lost another three months, but it was way too fucking hot, so I turned to the coast, just in time to rescue the kitten.

Then I hugged the coast for another n hundred kms, holing up in a motel overnight in the snowy mountains because it was way too fucking cold and I'd done too many hours behind the wheel. From there I drove til midnight to outside Melbourne and the next morning swept into Adelaide just in time for peak hour traffic at the end of the day.

Adelaide has recommended itself to me for all the wrong reasons: decriminalised pot; recycling refunds and; every rock tour I've heard of by-passes it as though it doesn't exist. Turns out it is full of angry drivers, angrier street punks and surrounded by desert. A small country town of a city, I'd heard, and so it is, but not in a good way. Ah well, I'm here now.

Actually I have to thank (blame) Jojobobo and Jungle Japes, with their talk of careers vs happiness, for encouraging (corrupting) me into joining mainstream society (the Borg) once again.

20. werozzi

werozzi Member

Are you drivin' a nice black car and leather outfit ala MadMax?
    Suave!

Our Host!