The forum layout

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Yuki, Oct 23, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

While the glorious management work on bringing us back to normal, we could remind them about what needs fixing in this thread.

For instance, there is a "report post" button in every post. Surely that won't be necessary.

Then there's the expanded smiley system, the badges displaying your online status, and of course DarkFool still being a moderator. What's up with that?

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    The badges are easily dealt with. I don't know if they can be removed or not, but they can certainly be replaced. Anyone up to the task could make suitably steampunkish badges and we shall all bask in their glory.

3. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Yuki, I've been making that DF/admin jöke (take that, wordfilters) for what feels like over a year now and it's good to see somebody else jumping on the bandwagon.

4. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

It looks much better now, but shouldn't the threads of Vampire be locked like TOEE? Or is there a special reason for it?

Another thing: Shouldn't the Support Button, Donate, et al looks much better if you place it just under the banner? It will be more visible.

Edit: I've just noticed that it already is moved to a better place under the banner. Never mind. Shit. I better get some coffee.

Edit1: What does strike do?

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    [strike]Strike[/strike]. Just use preview if you wonder what a tag does.

As for the Vampire and ToEE forums, plans are to pretty much reopen those. That's right, our aspirations are to be THE resource for everything related to Troika.

6. Arthgon

Alright. That sounds awesome. But, what will be done with Mystary? Everyone knows by now that it will never come. Therefore, what's the point of keeping it here?

Edit: Wolfbane is a moderator of the RPG thread, right? Shouldn't he have a color (dark green) as well?

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    No point at all, though we'll archive it.

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Based on the number of backups I have, it's been about two years I've been an Admin here.

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

My title used to fit in a single line. It no longer does. This is a serious matter.

10. Herr Otto Flick

Herr Otto Flick New Member

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I am thankful. I also see the online/offline box is no more. A step to a good direction, where member info is kept nicely together without distracting obstacles.

Speaking of which, another thing I'd like to mention. Before the upgrade, the "joined" section under one's avatar was "day month year". Now it additionally mentions day of the week and hour. I'd say this info is redundant and while it doesn't tell us anything important about a member, it needlessly stretches the "joined" section into two lines.

12. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself!

*logs exact joining time of all members into creepy spreadsheet*

EDIT: I just noticed a talking advert (yeah I'm looking at you Cillit Bang, maybe I want my pennies dirty) at the top of the page - is this a permanent thing? I'm sure people can put up with it, but at the same time anyone who is listening to music when they look at the forum will probably find it annoying.

EDIT2: I stopped listening to music a while back, but I still had my headphones in and the volume was high. After a while a stool softener advert lead abruptly with the line "WHEN YOU ARE CONSTIPATED..." - I damn near shat myself. Still, I suppose they're helping someone with their intended purpose.

13. Arthgon

I'm not sure in which thread it belongs, but has anyone noticed that Calis was suddenly mentioned as the Our newest member of this site? Now, that's a bit strange, because he already been a member for years. How come?

14. Constipation

Constipation New Member

15. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

16. Dark Elf

Media:
    [strike]Fixed[/strike].

[strike]My mod made it look as if we all joined on Oct 24 2012. Removed the time though. Will need to tinker a bit more.[/strike]

[strike]Okay, now it seems to do what it's intended to do. I'll see about removing the weekdays.[/strike]

[strike]It didn't do what it's intended to do. It now seemed to think that everyone had joined a day earlier than they actually had. Yes, this is what editing phpBB is like.[/strike]

It changes my date of joining (it always said February 6th before), but doesn't seem to change anyone else's.

17. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

The spoiler tags are weird, too.

18. Crypton

Crypton Member

+1 I hate those noisy ads as well. How about removing them? Especially those animated ones! Why can't you have *normal* static ads, like everyone else?

:akimbo: ADVERTISEMENTS :minigun:

Edit: Btw, on ArcanumAlive website, we detect ad blockers and THANK the users for having them installed. :cool:_

19. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

So you go to the trouble of setting up turnkey ad systems only to thank users for wasting your time?

When you're getting mugged do you thank your assailant while he's shivving you in the kidney?

20. Crypton

Crypton Member

Exactly! For you information, my kidneys are already worn out, so this ass-something would make me a huge favor.

No way, I can't imagine my life without the ad/flash/popup/cock blockers.

Our Host!