The Official Arcanum artifact thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Elf, Sep 19, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Will you contribute towards a custom NPC or Artifact?

1. Yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

We should just make it the Bangellian Scourge

Or the death machine that was the Sword.

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

+1

3. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I don't feel like these are particularly valid points. If they won't make a monocle, they'll tell us to come up with something else. If they did make it, it would be an "EPIC, HIGH LEVEL" item. And given their apparent determination to make non-combat skills a huge part of the game, I can't imagine it would be comparatively useless. Besides, are we trying to leave a mark on the game that smacks of TA, or just come up with what people will use the most? If it's the latter, then Legendary Vorpal Lightsaber of Invulnerability +10.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Name: Arret Munacra (I just happen to like the name, without knowing what it means backwards it could pass for a ”genuine” fantasy name. It's also the perfect HoL reference)

Description: Placeholder for now. Something about the peers of the House of Lords in some nation (the Vorakian empire comes in handy) engaging in wild debates and heated arguments on world affairs amidst brandy and cigars. This monocle should have a history of being used to win debates by some particularly successful Lord.

Bonuses: Should confer bonuses to speech-related skills such as Diplomacy and Intimidate or whatever equivalents they will have (debating and flaming). I would also consider giving it some defensive enchantments, and due to T-A's initiation process particularly strong Fire resistance would seem right and proper. Some cool special ability would be icing on the cake.

Information received hints at there being an Arcanumesque conflict between magic and technology in this game. If we wished, we could slant things towards magic or technology but that would also restrict its use to lords and gentlemen of that particular persuasion. Perhaps better criticals with firearms (superior aim!) or increased spellpower in some fashion? Or just a general INT-bonus to make the character more scholarly?

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

A more fitting name than Arret Munacra or Munacra Arret is simply not possible. One can disagree, of course, since he has every right to be wrong.

As much as I like my dagger idea, a monocle with bonuses to mental rather than physical powers may be more fitting, standing out among other items and flattering for us.

May be a little out of place, though. Aren't monocles a little too modern for a more or less pure fantasy setting? Then again, they do have primitive firearms, and basic vision rehabilitation is pretty much as old as the earliest civilisations.

I like the general idea about it being a well travelled item that allowed many debates to be won, even though the said item usually stayed in the shadows with its powerful nature usually remaining unsaid to the public. Something like what the titular pick from "Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny" was to the various bands throughout history.

6. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Second time today I have read the word 'titular' and immediately thought of breasts.

7. friartuck

friartuck New Member

Hot damn. Glad I stopped in. Willing to pitch in up to $100. Arret Munacra Monocle sounds good.

8. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I'll hopefully write up a description for the monocle this evening (and wordsmiths out there are welcome to do the same). I feel that I somehow managed to get everything about the dagger work seamlessly with T-A lore, but the monocle has proven a challenge!

9. friartuck

friartuck New Member

See what you think. Feel free to plunder or pitch.

Monocle of the Lords: Arret Munacra

The historian Dahr Kelph tells in his History of the Vorakian Empire of Zanza the Obscene, paterfamilias to the noble house of Jarinor, the oldest family of High Vorakia. In the days of Snowmane the Jinxed, he found himself opposed on all sides by lesser nobles whose character he had disparaged. Determined to retain his position in the House of Lords, he commissioned the famed glassmaker Frigo, inventor of the transparent painting, to manufacture this remarkable eyepiece.

A thin strand of enchanted wolfsbane nested within the chain grants this sophisticated ocular enhancement its exceptional properties. As well as being artifact of timeless sophistication, it enables its wearer to see through minor deceptions and better assess the character failings of an interlocutor. Its name, delicately embossed upon its golden ring, means "the tree" in High Philesian, presumably because it places the wearer on a superior plane to others.

Zanza's career as a diplomat rapidly advanced thanks in no small part to this discreet accoutrement. A particularly vicious tongue-lashing of the disgraced conspirator Willoughsby, whose crimes against nature were deemed too hideous for record, earned his family the hereditary titles of Imperial Justiciar and Magister Defilus. He went on to still greater victories, driving out the Xaio invaders through pure intimidation and impugning the honor of Da'Vis, the changeling knight whose crusade against vulgarity had been a threat to Zanza's power.

The storied accessory was then traded among the nobility for centuries. The Promagistrate Grakelin looked down his nose through it during his negotiations with the primitive tribe of Arthgon. Drog the Reformer is known to have possessed it in the days of his exile and subsequent reinstatement to the position of tribune. Schwamm the Gross used it to convince the warlord Smuelissimo of the futility of battle on the fields of Weighen Scales.

So it continued, passing from bloodshot eye to dilated pupil through the waning days of the First Empire, until Muro the Erudite's unfortunate decision to buy a chimpanzee called Jojobobo from a traveling gypsy. The primate snatched the shining glass from Muro's face and absconded through an open window. Its travels since then remain a mystery.

10. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

That's pretty boring. Why's there no poke at me? I am offended.

11. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

This is most tempting but, alas, I must decline. Sorry, fellows.

I look forward to seeing that monocle, though. Very cool idea indeed. I also like top-hats.

My two cents is only to keep the description simple and concise so as not to confuse nor irritate the designers.

12. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

13. Vorak

Funding for T-A to do this been achieved but you can still take part, Pledging cash to the cause will not be cut off just yet.

Should I make up some stretch goals or something?

14. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

I think we should focus on getting this through. I haven't checked how many fan made artefacts they are planning to make but it would suck if all chances were taken by the time we manage to fill the right account with a sufficient amount of money.

15. Vorak

50 artefacts in total and currently there are 23 left.

I agree we need to get this done but as the account we need to use to pool the money is a day or so from being active I see no reason to cut off anyone that still wants to join in.

16. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

It's been like that for at least four days, I wouldn't worry until 15 days are left about other people mobilising. I've been feeling guilty for not contributing and so have been looking at how many slots are left so I could notify people if they were running out, still I can't contribute as I have no money! I'm surprised so many people have enough money to spare for a $1000 total, but I guess students are always going to be surprised about how much money people with actual jobs have.

17. werozzi

werozzi Member

And artists are going to be surprised by how much money students have!

18. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I for one am paying with my scholarship money.

19. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Well unfortunately I don't have any scholarship to speak of, so I'm skint at the minute. Any other year and I would have been fine (and hopefully next year when I'll have a funded PhD) but for the time being funds are short as me and my fiancee pool money and for whatever reason humanities masters courses - or any masters courses separate from their prerequisite bachelors degree (i.e. not most science degrees which have the have the masters part already incorporated) - aren't student loans worthy. In fact I've found out to my displeasure that people in between degree courses - even if it's only for a few months - are expected to pay council tax, whereas those same people can't sign on for job seekers' allowance in those months which might allow for a discount on that council tax even though it's impossible for them to secure a permanent long-term job. I do get some money from my parents, and fortunately my fiancee's parents have finally started contributing this year, but between two people lacking one set of student loans it's a pittance.

If it was any other year it would have been fine (two sets of student loans or in the case of next year two sets of PhD funding - hopefully) but until that point I'll have to be the slimy little noncommittal weasel you all know and love.

20. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I liked a sword better. Sorry.

Name: Arret Munacra

Description: It's said that Lord Vorak ordered a Dark Elf to lift his mighty ban hammer, and forge Arret Munacra from the molten remains of the Bangellian Scourge. Using the bones of a jester to form a hilt, it's said that all whom are cut by this blade are forever haunted by the laughing of a mad Fool.

Bonuses: Fire damage, fire resistance, inspires an uncontrollable tendency to butcher jesters and anything Elven.

I'll see if I can write one for a monocle or a top hat after breakfast.

Our Host!