Happy Independence Day!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Jul 4, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

To the US crowd. To everyone else, I still recommend doing something potentially dangerous with gunpowder, cardboard, and some titanium or copper so you get cool spark colors.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Come nightfall, you need rockets and bombs to prove that the flag is still there?

3. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

The day we kicked alien ass.

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

We are Fresh Prince, we are one.

5. DivinePonies

DivinePonies Member

I really wonder how many people actually believe in this. Best presented in the form of pie-chart. Pie-charts are cool.

6. friartuck

friartuck New Member

Like bow ties and fezzes.

7. Dark Elf

Media:
  8. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Despite the crazy hot/dry/dangerous conditions in Colorado and other parts of the USA, people are still whining that fireworks are currently banned in many places.

It's not like, you know, giant fucking wildfires that have already killed people aren't still burning across the state. It's not as if 820 square KM have been burned to the fucking ground. Maybe you should just chill out, BBQ, and have a beer and think of something other than yourself for ONE year you ignorant fucks I HATE PEOPLE SOMETIMES AHHHH

Anyway, happy 4th fellow Americans!

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    Don't you know that banning fireworks and depriving true-blooded Americans of their God-given right to incinerate the planet is just Big Government defecating all over the Bill of Rights?

10. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Meh. You play with the real deal enough and fireworks lose their luster.

11. werozzi

werozzi Member

Happy 4th neighbors!
    Sadly, i wont do any "low risk" firework show, but anyway i will spend my day acting on a performance/play of Pink Floyd's "The Wall"!!
    Get really drunk!
    (you too smuel)

BTW, Philes:
    You are american, i am american, a brazilian man is american, so STOP CALLING YOUR COUNTRY AMERICA!!!
    America: Continent.
    The United States Of America: Country.
    I hope i made myself clear.
    Happy 4th again.

12. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

He's a doctor. Of course he knows you're not an American.

13. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Even if I didn't already know you live in Mexico I'd have known you were from somewhere around here. Because that sounded to me like the same semantics-whining bullshit of somebody who lives in one of the lesser countries in the western hemisphere. Nobody I know of refers to this part of the world as "The Americas" because people prefer to distance themselves from the USA because it's popular to hate on us.

You tell anybody from Europe that you "live in America" and they'll know immediately that you're some cocksure bastard from the USA. They won't ask "BUT WHICH PART OF THE CONTINENT SINCE I'M A GRAMMAR NAZI HERPADERP?"

No excessive hate meant, of course.

[​IMG]
    This gif is now extra awesome due to my avatar.

14. werozzi

werozzi Member

And what makes you think that USA is a major country, it's economy?
    Because in my mind a lesser country is that one that has lost it's culture, it's people's uniqueness, all replaced by fake principles.
    For me, the only thing a human is worth, is it's capacity of creating, not his possessions.
    And talking about that,my better life would be in the woods, alone, with nothing to rely on, feeding on tree bark (like itzk), because the true happiness relies on simpleness.
    No i'm not putting a distance with the USA, because no mater how much i differ from ideals, it's still a part of America.
    And, if you are unable to use the word that people took time to assign to this continent, please notice that another person is offended to see his continent being reduced to only one country, please.
    It even feels good to speak and write right!!

And yes, i'm a grammar nazi, you can't change this world with bigger actions, you have to do smaller things to start making a change.

15. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Just today someone said America, referring to Canada, because whatever and, furthermore, meh.

Also, hating on the US is a popular past-time because, yes, you ruled the earth for the second half of the 20th century and now, for a few centuries more, global resentment is the cumuppence. Go you.

Personally, I'm a bit slow, so I'm still hating on the Roman Empire and, more recently, the British. Nah, I'm not hating. Americans are a very generous and magnanimous folk, and English are very subtle and witty. As for Romans, well, um, erm, I'm sure they have their good points.

16. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Come off it, no one is ever going to say "I'm from America" to hear "What like Venezuela or Canada or..."; when people say America they only mean the USA. Even if America didn't have a high profile as a country, which it does, the fact that it has America in the title would still lead to it being called America; if you want your country to be called America too file for the name to be changed to Mexi-America or something. Also I don't see what makes the people of Mexico unique and America not, sure Mexico is a hodge podge of different cultures which makes its people quite interesting but America has 50 states - it's foolish to say that there's no diversity in people there.

17. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

All good points, but what was said was, "My parents are in America" when they were, to be precise, in Canada.

This was from my cousin, as my grandmother died last night and funeral arrangements were underway.

To reiterate, one Australian to another called Canada 'America', not only because whatever, but also meh.

18. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    The continent is actually called North America, and there's a separate continent called South America, you racist!

I know some people from Canada, and I refer to them as "American" just to wind them up. Perhaps the Australian in this case was trying to be funny? That does occasionally happen.

19. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I saw this on OhInternet last night and didn't get its intended humor until now. You see, I saw two continents, but I suppose it's possible that they were combined while I wasn't looking (kind of like how my beloved Pluto was demoted).
    This is important enough to have its own demotivational poster, so I assume this is the semantics-du-jour that people reference to back up their claims that Americans are ignorant.
    Are Americans truly causing confusion by referring to themselves as "Americans?" I don't see how Americans are taking anything away from any of those multitude countries that refer to its population as "Americans."
    Do you suppose that "America" is simply a contraction of terms? Suppose we just leave out the "The United States" part when referring to the nation.
    Yes Jojobobo, quite like that.

Yes, its economy. As well as its military strength and general ability to exert its influence on a global scale. America--The United States of American to purists--has been a world power for roughly one hundred years.
    You are the only person to operate in your mind. Establish a common ground with the people with which you have discussions or you will continue to fail.
    Oh rearry? Good luck exerting your influence on a global scale from your mud hut in the woods. I put as much or more stock in transcendentalism as the next guy, but the irony of the practice is that you'll need an axe to build your house by the pond. That axe will no doubt be a product of the civilization you shun.
    Nobody is attempting to demean you by referring to the United States of America as "America," it's simply a matter of convenience. To be complete, "your" continent is not "America" but either "North America" or "South America" (to be quite honest, I don't care which at this point), but you seem not to mind dropping the cardinal superlative yourself. Perhaps this practice helps you maintain your state of "Comfortably Butthurt."

Back on topic, happy belated Independence Day to all Americans! Happy Commiseration Day to all you limeys (you lost a good one there, didn't you?) and happy Inferioriority Day to all you aussies as you'll never achieve as much as your handsomer big brother.

20. werozzi

werozzi Member

acually when the first spanish expedition arrived here, the whole thing was called america, divisions were made later

Our Host!