Laggy Gameplay

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by RedCamel, May 8, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. RedCamel

RedCamel New Member

So I'm experiencing crippling lag when in any menu (inventory, logbook, map, etc.) which is strange because the game runs very smoothly. I'm running windows 7, and running arcanum under windows xp compatability mode. It seems much worse if I open the menu while moving as well, I wonder if there is some way to disable the little circular window that lets you view your character up in the left corner, as I suspect that may be what is causing the lag. Conversely, worlded is also extremely laggy and I'm hoping to start working on some modding but its difficult if it takes a minute everytime I want to move the screen slightly. Any advice on these subjects?

2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I'm not too good with these matters, but the first thing that springs to mind is how many followers do you have? I had nearly 30 on one playthrough which caused a bit of a lag.

3. RedCamel

RedCamel New Member

Just virgil and sogg, but even with no followers it's the same problem.

4. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Well the only other thing I would have suggested would be the correct compatibility settings, but you say you've already tried that. Hopefully someone with more experience than me will get back to you.

5. friartuck

friartuck New Member

Have you tried the -no3d and/or -doublebuffer variables?

6. RedCamel

RedCamel New Member

Where are these options? I've tried all the compatibility options (disable visual themes disable desktop composition, etc.) to no avail. I'm getting tempted to buy a really old computer just for arcanum and worlded XD, but I'd rather not and try and get this working so yea, where are those options you mentioned to be found? :p

7. Pyotr

Pyotr Member

Let me guess, you have an ATI videocard?

8. friartuck

friartuck New Member

Find or make a shortcut to Arcanum.exe. Right click on the shortcut and select Properties. There's a field labeled "Target." It should say something like: C:\Sierra\Arcanum\Arcanum.exe

Change this to:
    "C:\Sierra\Arcanum\Arcanum.exe" -no3d -doublebuffer
    (Modify the file path as per your installation.)

See if that helps.

9. RedCamel

RedCamel New Member

Pyotr: Yes I do O.O ATI Mobility Radeon HG 4650 to be specific. Why does that specific brand cause problems?

friartuck: You sir are my savior, runs super smooth now :D thanks a bunch.

Now my only problem is getting worlded to run smoothly, would adding no3d and doublebuffer to it help?

10. friartuck

friartuck New Member

Very glad it helped!

I've never tried it on worlded, but most likely. It sounds like the problem is generating art as you scroll, and the -no3d variable should fix that. Let me know.

11. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Interesting that nobody has previously thought to try this (or, if they have, they haevn't posted having done so). Please let us know how if it works. This might re-enable some who've given up on modding because of their inability to run WorldEd.

12. Metallus

Metallus New Member

I was also having lagging problems lately, but thanks to reading this topic i solved them and now the game is running... fucking smoothly. Holy shit, it was getting sick annoying to have my cursor movements delayed by some ms, or playing with just 2 followers because otherwise it lagged the shit out of my pc.

Let me thank and love you all (no homo)

Our Host!