Possible Firearms Bug?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Kezzerdrix, Jun 9, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Kezzerdrix

Kezzerdrix New Member

I have searched here and through google.

I've been playing the game with the latest patches including the unofficial patch. Everything has been fine till now.

Every time I try to use a ranged weapon on a target within my perception and at range. The game will bring my character up, close and personal to the target upon clicking the target to attack it. Only once I am in melee range will my character fire the ranged weapon...any ranged weapon. If I try to move away and re-fire it will put me as close to the target as possible...again.

I have tried to switch between melee and ranged to see if it would correct itself, no joy. I have tried alternate saves, no joy. Reinstalled the patches, no joy.

It does seem to work when I have used up some of the Move AP's, but that doesn't help me much.

I am at a loss and I know I am new here. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I looked and this seemed the best place for this post, if it needs to be moved, please do so.

2. Constipation

Constipation New Member

Try holding Shift while clicking on enemies. Should hold your character in place when range attacking.

3. Kezzerdrix

Kezzerdrix New Member

I was going to put that in the post though I did not know if it was normal; I hold shift and the character does nothing. No attack, no movement, until I release the shift key, then it is back to the same issue.

I have tried this in both "Real Time" and both "Turn Base" styles.

4. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

In real time when I attack with guns people they just shoot at them (sometimes they'll run a little closer but not very often). Did you try holding shift and then clicking on your attack and select an enemy? I'm not an expert with turn based so you're likely best served by Constipation, Drog, Wims or anyone else who's competent playing that way.

5. Kezzerdrix

Kezzerdrix New Member

Yes, no joy in real time either. My character will not attack when holding shift unless my character is in melee range, then the character will shoot the gun.

It's like the game thinks any ranged weapon is melee. I have tried putting a sword or something in the characters hand, it acts the same way; goes up to the target and then attacks. I switch back to a ranged weapon like a rifle or pistol and again; the character goes up to the target and fires within melee range.

The character has no curse, is not blind. I am at a loss, it's currently killing the game for me :(

It also happens with any old save games, gonna try a full on reload of the game..

6. friartuck

friartuck New Member

I have no idea what would cause this, but let's do a quick rundown of things that cause similar problems: your character has no injuries (check the log)?
    You have the appropriate ammo for the weapon?
    Your character's PE isn't hindered by something?
    Your character isn't severely encumbered?
    Your character meets the MSR (minimum strength requirement) for the weapon?

7. Kezzerdrix

Kezzerdrix New Member

Injuries: None
    Ammo: Bullets
    PE: 15
    Encumbered: No
    Using Looking Glass Rifle/ Quality Pistol: Strength of 8

Though it now seems to be working ok after complete re-install (removed game, deleted folders, removed all registry entries)

Very weird, but thanks for the replies and help guys! :)

8. Kezzerdrix

Kezzerdrix New Member

OK, I guess it's not solved.... started playing everything is fine, but I slowly began to notice that as the percentage to hit changed I could no longer shoot, for instance

<20% Unable to fire yet anything 20%+ I could shoot at in range and it has slowly gone from there. Now I can't fire nor force fire at anything <80% to hit.

It seems as though the more I play the more my character is going "Blind" my PE is still 15, no encumberance, no curses STR of 8 no Injuries..nothing.

9. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

What exactly are you fighting? If it's magickal enemies they may affect this sort of thing.

10. Kezzerdrix

Kezzerdrix New Member

I see were you are going. From what I can tell when I am attacking a normal creature like wolves I'll have over 100% chance to hit from say 50 yards away during High Noon. With something like a Wererat it goes down to 65-45%. Now when I show that 65% or less it will not let me attack at all until I get closer to bring that percentage higher. Now the Temporal Crusher on the Isle of Despair, it will show me 80% chance to hit at that same range, at the same time of day though it will not let me fire. The game forces me to be within melee range to fire.

My save game is in Ashbury, I goto the Cemetery. Zombies/Gore Guards above and below ground are cake from a distance with the rifle, however if virgil or the dag are in the way and my chance to hit drops below 45% it will not let me fire, it forces me to move. I then move to the haunted castle. Skeletons/Ghouls...same deal. When I get to the Lord in the basement I have to get a little closer but still good enough so that Virgil and the Dog can move in and I stay at range. As a test I run around the open world and come across orcs and wolves, same bit applies 45% or less and I can not fire. I goto the Isle of Despair and head for the Temporal Crusher and like I said before I can have 80% chance to hit, and it will not let me fire.

What I understood from the manual and reading around is that if I am High Tech and they are High magik, whoever is higher in their profession has a much better chance to win. If I as a High tech go against a higher Magik I will just critical fail, miss, drop my weapon, just a bunch of random "malfunctions" will happen. Correct me if I am wrong, but I would think I'd still be able to shoot at them.

Our Host!