Let's Play Arcanum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by friartuck, Apr 18, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. friartuck

friartuck New Member

Lionel: May, She will Stay

I agree that it's not the best for the mood. The original Jared image (the first time I posted this update) was quite different, but I thought this time around I would use another television character to keep up the theme, so I switched both guards. You make a valid point, though, and my wife agrees that the first image was better, so I've replaced it. Perhaps Fowler will return later.

#12: Lionel: May, She will Stay
    Lionel and Jayna are lucky enough to arrive in Tarant in the middle of a sunny afternoon. As they cross the West Garillion Bridge onto the Kensington Broadway, Jayna gasps in amazement. Lionel beams.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]: Really something, isn't it?
    [​IMG]: I'm sorry, I-- It's like nothing I've ever seen! I mean to say...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]: This is Tarant! I'm so very excited! If there's anywhere that a person could learn about technology, this is the place! I think Gilbert Bates, the inventor of the steam engine, lives here! And then there's Tarant University, the shipyards, the factories... I've never seen a more beautiful place in all my life! [Jayna stares in wonder at the sprawling metropolis before her, clearly anxious to see it all. Lionel is sure he sees a tear in her eye.]

Lionel reaches out to touch Jayna's shoulder, but reconsiders and haltingly lowers his hand. He looks sheepishly down to his boots, then glances back across the river toward his old neighborhood, the Boil. Lost in unpleasant reminiscence, he is startled out of his reverie by a sudden embrace.

[​IMG]: [Holding Lionel tightly around his chest, Jayna speaks earnestly into his shoulder.] Thank you so much for bringing me here. I never thought-- [She is too consumed by emotion to continue, and ends with an abrupt sob.] Thank you.
    [​IMG]: [Lionel haltingly lifts his arms to pat her on the back like a man unused to comforting a child.] Of, um, of course. I'm, uh, very glad you came.
    [​IMG]: [Jayna breaks the embrace and dabs her misty eyes with a handkerchief, still smiling gaily.] I'm sorry. Forgive my outburst. I'm just so happy... I don't mean to worry you, or slow you down. I know there's a lot to do, and I promise I'll pull my weight.
    [​IMG]: [Speaking with no small degree of embarrassment] Not at all. I... Yes. Well.
    [​IMG]: Shall we get to it?
    [​IMG]: [Startled] Hmm?
    [​IMG]: Finding the mine owners.
    [​IMG]: Oh! Yes, yes of course. This way...

They stop on the way at Jayna's insistence to replace Lionel's torn jacket. Six minutes pass before the door is thrown open by a disgruntled half-orc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]: …no, “sir” will not calm down, thank you. “Sir” is sick and tired of getting in and out of the same damned jacket, and he doesn't believe you really needed an inside leg measurement! “Sir” is leaving in the clothes he came in!
    [​IMG]: Sir, I really don't—
    [​IMG]: [To the tailor] Don't mind him. He doesn't like being fussed over. Thank you. [She turns to Lionel] And just what was that all about?
    [​IMG]: I don't appreciate being handled, that's all. And that jacket he was pushing—
    [​IMG]: I thought it suited you.
    [​IMG]: I looked like a damned swell-mobsman. ...But thank you.
    [​IMG]

The half-orc leads his companion to a small kiosk on the side of the road, and down into the Tarantian steamrail. Jayna sighs with delirious contentment at the grand spectacle. They disembark in a less opulent area, near a crumbling brick factory with broken windows bearing the faded legend “Appleby Steam Engines.”

[​IMG]
    Jayna seems no less excited, but Lionel is pleased to note that she holds her rucksack tighter beneath her arm. Perhaps she's not quite so naïve as all that. Across the street, they find the address they seek: 25 Lions Head Circle, Stanton Importers. The office is a small converted warehouse, and old industrial tools are piled outside in a rusted heap. They enter.
    [​IMG]
    The office is remarkably disheveled. Files appear to have been sorted according to that favorite organizational style of the businessman who can't afford a secretary, the “I'll remember where I left it” system. For a man who can't afford a secretary, Stanton appears to have a large staff. Three half-ogres standing at the back of the office catch Lionel's eye. One in particular, a sallow specimen, his gaze shining with that same light of intelligence found in most aubergines, turns its slack-jawed gaze on them. Lionel sneers in its direction. A poorly tailored gentleman who'd had no time to shave this morning is seated at a desk, scribbling figures in a ledger and smoking a foul cigar. He glances momentarily up at Lionel, then turns back to his work.
    [​IMG]: Just get away from me, half-breed.
    [​IMG]: [Lionel's eyes narrow and his fists, balled already at the vision of the half-ogres, tighten further.]
    [​IMG]: [Curtly] I'm sorry, were you speaking to us?
    [​IMG]: [The man in the ill-fitting suit looks up from his papers and notices Jayna. He coughs cigar smoke into his hand, then scrutinizes Lionel more closely. His brow furrows when he spots the buldge of a revolver.] Please excuse me, sir, ma'am. I thought he were one of them lower class hoodlums, you understand. Had to hire Og and his chums to deal with the riffraff we get in here. [He wipes his palm on his suit, then extends his hand in a sign of goodwill; Lionel shakes it firmly.] The name's Stanton, like the sign outside says. Importer. What do you need?
    [​IMG]: I hear that you are the man that owns the Bessie Toone.
    [​IMG]: Yeah, what of it?
    [​IMG]: The lady and I are here as representatives of the family.
    [​IMG]: [Stanton leans forward, scowling, and flicks ash from his cigar.] As I said, what of it?
    [​IMG]: I'm here to persuade you to return ownership of the mine to them.
    [​IMG]: Hah! Why should I do that? I paid that little weasel good money for his worthless mine! Unless...you were planning on making it worth my while?
    [​IMG]: Certainly. What's the going rate for a worthless mine?
    [​IMG]: Hmmm. [He shuffles the papers on his desk, and opens a wide-ruled ledger.] I could let it go for...let's say 350.
    [​IMG]: [Lionel and Jayna share a theatrically raised eyebrow, then turn back to Stanton.] Let's not. I'm not here to waste time, Stanton. I've been in that mine, and I'm a good friend of Doc Roberts. Let's save the both of us some time and settle on 200.
    [​IMG]: Won't cover costs at that rate. But... I like that town, and I don't want to make you look bad in front of your girl, there. [Lionel's throat tightens.] Say 250.
    [​IMG]: Done. [He counts out the money.]
    [​IMG]: (Stanton retrieves the deed from a file in his desk drawer.) It's been a pleasure doing business.
    [​IMG]: Agreed. Good day, sir.
    [​IMG]

Jayna and Lionel step out into the reasonably fresh air.
    [​IMG]: Sorry abou— [he breaks off suddenly as Jayna once again embraces him, this time with her arms about his neck and her feet leaving the ground.]
    [​IMG]: That was wonderful! Thank you so much for doing that for Sarah!
    [​IMG]: [Steadying himself] I, um, it's nothing.
    [​IMG]: [She looks up at him admiringly.] It's not nothing. You really are a wonderful man, Lionel.
    [​IMG]: Well. I... Thank you?
    [​IMG]: [She laughs, and lets him go.] You must think I'm such a fool... I'm just so excited to be here!
    [​IMG]: [Lionel smiles, and begins to relax] Yes, it is rather good, isn't it.
    [​IMG]: It's amazing! It's everything I dreamed!
    [​IMG]: Well. I think we can afford a day or two of of sightseeing before we return to Sarah. What would you like to see, Miss Styles?
    [​IMG]: Oh, everything! The factories, and the train station, and the university, and the Bates mansion, and the shipyard...
    [​IMG]: The shipyard? Why, it's just a few blocks that way [He points]. Would you care for a stroll?
    [​IMG]: Absolutely.

They begin walking toward the water, Lionel smirking and whistling softly with his hands in his pockets, Jayna staring about herself like a kitten and sighing contentedly every few steps. Just as they're rounding an alley between two warehouses and getting their first view of the docks, she takes Lionel's elbow.
    [​IMG]: Lionel, I think that gnome is trying to get our attention.

[​IMG]
    A portly, youngish gnome in a heavy jacket and eyegear is waving in their direction from the door to a compound of warehouses. Lionel's first inclination is to ignore him, but he sees the look on Jayna's face, and walks over.

[​IMG]: Hello there, sir. Is there something I can do for you?
    [​IMG]: Yes! Yes, you'll do perfectly... Oh, excuse my rudeness, sir. My name is Simon Plough. I am a bit distracted, as I'm in a bit of a fix.
    [​IMG]: What is your problem, sir?
    [​IMG]: I've recently inherited these warehouses, here, and I need to sell them to pay off a debt. But I have a rat problem. A BIG rat problem. And no one will purchase them from me until the rats are eradicated. The street toughs around here are a murderous rabble, but your young man here looks just the sort of fellow I could trust to help me.
    [​IMG]: What exactly is the nature of these debts?
    [​IMG]: Personal.
    [​IMG]: I see. And the nature of your business?
    [​IMG]: I own a maintenance and grounds-keeping firm. But I like to give a fair deal, you see, so it's sometimes difficult to make ends meet. My prices are so low, people think I've suffered brain damage.
    [​IMG]: And just how much would you pay for me to do away with these rats?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]: That is the problem, sir. I have no money, and I need the money the sale of these properties would give me, desperately. You can take whatever you find as you're cleaning them out as your payment, if you like. There should be at least a few valuable odds and ends of a technological nature.

Even for a gnome, this is a terrible opening offer. It must be the hole in his jacket, Lionel thinks, making him look like an easy mark. He hisses in a deep breath, prepared for a tough negotiation.
    [​IMG]: Oh, well...
    [​IMG]: Really? That is no problem, sir. We will take care of it for you.
    [​IMG]: [His eyes bulging] (Damn, damn, damn...)
    [​IMG]: Thank you very much, young lady. Please inform me when the rats are all dead.

They enter the compound. The rusted hinges squeal in protest every time they open a door. Crates and barrels of mechanical parts line the walls. Dim light filters in through grimy window and dozens of enormous rats run through both warehouse buildings.

[​IMG]: (Damn!) Look, Jayna...
    [​IMG]: Hmm?
    [​IMG]: That Mr. Plough is a gnome. They--
    [​IMG]: Yes, he's a nice fellow, isn't he? I'm glad he had us to help him out.
    [​IMG]: Yes, certainly. But, you see, people around here expect to haggle over prices...
    [​IMG]: Yes, it's a good thing he called us instead of some local ruffian. I hate to think how they'd treat him when he admitted he couldn't pay.
    Lionel sighs deeply. What could it be worth, anyway? Fifty gold to shatter her illusions? ...Still... fifty gold...
    [​IMG]: You know, a lot of businessmen lie about their assets...
    [​IMG]: Yes, it's nice to be helping one of the few honest ones. Not many would admit to needing money so desperately.
    [​IMG]: [Bites his tongue.] Yes. Yes, I'm glad, too.
    [​IMG]: Come on, then! This shouldn't take long! [She shakes a table violently, causing several rats to scurry out from under it. She deftly decapitates the nearest one, humming a tune under her breath.]
    [​IMG]

Jayna and Lionel spend the next hour exterminating pests in the two warehouses and picking through old chests and barrels for technological gadgetry. Lionel's mood rapidly improves after finding a barrel full of electrical components that must be worth several hundred coin. The gnome clearly doesn't know a thing about technology. They emerge victorious and jovial with camaraderie and self-satisfaction.

[​IMG]: Your warehouse is free of rats, sir!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]: Thank you so very much. You have helped me more than you could know. I hope you have found something of use in the warehouse. I am sorry that I have nothing to give you but my thanks, and this. [He hands her a calling card.] I can usually be found at that address, or in the Wellington Gentlemen's club. If you're ever in need of assistance here in the city, look me up. Mr. Plough, that's my name. That name again is Mr. Plough.
    [​IMG]: Thank you very much, sir. Good day.

[​IMG]: To the docks, then?
    [​IMG]: Yes, please!

They go, and the sight of the majestic ships grips Jayna's attention for all of three minutes.

[​IMG]: That was lovely, thank you. Where to next?
    [​IMG]: What would you like to see?
    [​IMG]: Well, maybe the trains, or the university, or, oh! Do you know any inventors or scientists?
    [​IMG]: Well, er... not to speak to.
    In all honesty, if any of the well known scienticians of Tarant caught sight of Lionel near their property, the constabulary would likely be involved.
    [​IMG]: But there are several shops along the Broadway for technological craftsmen. Would you like to see them?
    [​IMG]: Lead on.

The street is indeed dotted with all manner of nicknackitarians, pelf-peddlers, and regrators. They proceed to the shopping district proper. Though Lionel expects and receives the same treatment he is long used to at such establishments, Jayna's presence ameliorates it somewhat and he finds himself making pleasant conversation with people who had previously regarded him as refuse. Jayna marvels contentedly at the technological gadgetry on display and talks shop with the local herbalist, Anna, whose husband Geoffrey, an inventor of no meager standing in the town, takes Lionel aside to demonstrate a curious quality of electrified copper.
    [​IMG]
    The two dabblers are permitted to use the workbench in the store, which they put to good use.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lionel's next stop is with a junk dealer at the docks, to sell the remaining objects he acquired in Mr. Plough's service. Prudent negotiations turn it into a tidy sum, and the junkman, who happens to be handy with a needle, patches the hole in Lionel's jacket for a very modest fee.
    [​IMG]: There. Rather smart, I think.
    [​IMG]
    Finally, they head up the street and turn down Grimson Way where a dwarven smith fits Jayna with a suits of leather traveling armor. The price is rather high, but Lionel bears it with relative grace. Jayna stows her dress in her rucksack.
    [​IMG]
    When all is said and done, the two weary travelers walk to the nearby Kensington Park and sit together.

[​IMG]: So, how was your first afternoon in the city?
    [​IMG]: It's incredible! It's everything I hoped it would be. I never want to go home.
    [​IMG]: I'm pleased to hear it.
    [​IMG]: You know, Lionel, I'm glad that I came here with you.
    [​IMG]: Are you really?
    [​IMG]: Yes. I mean, with you in particular. You're not like any other man I've ever known. It's like... [She blushes and looks away.]
    [​IMG]: [Lionel smiles.] Go on...
    [​IMG]: Well, you're a strong man, and you know so much about this place...
    [​IMG]: Oh, well... [He looks away politely, but turns back after a moment, looking smug.]
    [​IMG]: And you're so purposeful. You always have a plan. And it's just... Oh, I don't know...
    [​IMG]: Yes?
    [​IMG]: Well, it's like having an older brother.
    [​IMG]: [The smile remains, but becomes curiously immobile] ...Oh?
    [​IMG]: I never had a brother. I feel so safe with you.
    [​IMG]: Safe. [He nods.] Good.
    [​IMG]: Yes, it's a wonderful feeling. Thank you so much for bringing me here. [She hugs him about the shoulders. He pats her back woodenly.]
    [​IMG]: Think nothing of it.
    [​IMG]: Oh look, that man's selling newspapers... I'll be back in a moment... [She darts off.]
    [​IMG]: [Watching her back]...Blast it. Consarned thundering deuced and dratted SHIT AND SHINOLA! [He glances around.]
    Jayna was too far to hear him, but a human couple turns their faces away and a fat halfling who Lionel knows by reputation as Sammie White grins from ear to ear and waves merrily.

Jayna returns a few moments later and they sit in silence, Lionel gazing forlornly at the couples walking past arm-in-arm, Jayna excitedly glancing through the columns of the paper.
    [​IMG]: Mmph...Heh... Bahahaha! Oh my...
    [​IMG]: Something amusing?
    [​IMG]: There's a humor column... It's a bit... well...
    [​IMG]: May I see? [She hands it to him, laughing into her hand]
    [​IMG]: “Courtship.—A lover should be treated with the same gentleness as a new glove. The young lady should pull him on with the utmost tenderness at first,” [He blushes] Oh, good grief... This sort of yellow journalism--
    [​IMG]: No, keep going...
    [​IMG]: Hmph. “Only making the smallest advance at a time, till she gradually gains upon him,” [Jayna has once again burst into laughter] good gods... “and twists him ultimately round her little finger;” Well, that at least is true enough... “Whereas the young lady who is hasty, and in too great a hurry, will never get a lover to take her hand, but be left with--” Oh no... “With nothing but her wits at her fingers' ends.” How can they print this sort of thing?
    [​IMG]: [Still giggling] Oh, come now, Lionel, don't be so prudish.
    [​IMG]: But really, “Nothing but her wits?” It's indec-- [He clenches the paper in both fists and sits up with a start.] Oh my gods.
    [​IMG]: Hmm? Lionel, what's wrong? You've gone all pale...
    [​IMG]: Oh... Um... Nothing. I just saw the headline.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]: Oh, about the crash survivor? Yes, it's a very exciting read. That poor elf's really been through the maelstrom. I'm not sure I believe the bit about the smaller aircraft, though.
    [​IMG]: Yes... Well, er, all this hanging about is doing poor Sarah no good at all. What say we head out?
    [​IMG]: [Crestfallen] So soon?
    [​IMG]: Yes, I think it's best we go quickly...
    [​IMG]: But--
    [​IMG]: It will take no time at all if we take the train to Black Root.
    [​IMG]: [Her interest piqued, she is now all smiles.] The train? Oh! Yes, let's go! We mustn't keep Sarah waiting.
    [​IMG]

2. Constipation

Constipation New Member

Re: Lionel: May, She will Stay

Stanton likes 'em big. His bodygoards are full-blooded ogres.

Haha, made my day! 12 days and not a single comment on this? Show some appreciation people.

3. DivinePonies

DivinePonies Member

People get easily distracted when reading stuff on internet. Which is interesting, because

4. Pyotr

Pyotr Member

Why Lionel still didn't buy "Sunday Best" dress for Jayna?
    Is he THAT poor?

5. friartuck

friartuck New Member

Polly Perkins: Nothing to Report

Ask, receive, all that rot. Glad it entertained you, Constipation.
    Pyotr- They're not very wealthy, but I think it's more to do with how he left things with the tailor.

#13 Polly Perkins: Nothing to Report
    I admit, I was rather optimistic when I joined the Hand. Call it a character flaw. Their reputation for action has spread through the whispered stories told in low places around the world. I was looking forward to an exciting time. As yet, I've been disappointed. There's been little enough to do for them. Since killing that hedge wizard, we haven't had a single contact. So I've had to make my own entertainment.

I've been passing the time in the usual way, listening to my pissant neighbors' sordid little concerns, drinking like a priest who'd taken his daughter's confession, avoiding smalltalk when possible. One of the local ladies got on my nerves. She's a prissy little human in her forties with enormous teeth and always done up in dresses that went out of style after Torren's coronation. She talked my ear off for hours the other night because there were no single men in the bar. I have to admit, for all her faults, she has excellent taste in jewelry. She had this gorgeous enchanted medallion, but it seems she misplaced it when she got a bit too tipsy. Poor thing's just been inconsolable since. I can't see why. I told her I'm sure it'll turn up.

[​IMG]

The gossip around town recently has revolved around the Captain of the Guard, a man named Stout. He's the sort of man to hunt down a starving man for stealing stale bread. There's a lot of hungry mouths around here, so he's not the most popular fellow. I gather he's had some sort of domestic trouble lately that's got him acting more boorish than usual. Something about a young lady of his heart who chose the better man. I'm not so interested in the details. What I am interested in is the fact that he came round with two of his men to raid the inn the other day. I happened to overhear a discourteous word from the captain to the innkeeper. I like the innkeeper, and she looked genuinely frightened when he left.

It shouldn't be a problem again any time soon, however. From what I understand, there was some manner of chaos at the guardhouse last night while Stout was on guard duty.

[​IMG]

Evidently, a lot of personal effects went missing and all turned up in the captain's footlocker.
    [​IMG]
    Embarrassing, no doubt. He probably would've just picked a scapegoat and had done with it, but if the rumors are correct, there's also about 300 coins that went missing completely. Not only that, but a thief had apparently been through the castle in the same night and raided a sizable fortune from the coffers.
    [​IMG]
    Stout's facing some harsh criticism at the moment. I think I shall be watching his career with great interest.

I can't believe I have nothing to write this week but rumors and gossip. I must be slowing down.

PP

6. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Re: Lionel: May, She will Stay

Gravedigging old threads is frowned upon.

7. Constipation

Constipation New Member

8. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    The love and support I get from this forum helps to dull the pain.

9. friartuck

friartuck New Member

Ty'Ler Do'Urden: We're On a Mission from Gods

#14 Ty'Ler Do'Urden: We're On a Mission from Gods

[​IMG]: Good morning, Professor. I understand you're the man to talk to about gods.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]: Hm? Oh, yes. You could certainly say that. I am Professor Aldous Buxington, head of the Religion department here at Tarant University. And you are?
    [​IMG]: Ty'Ler Do'Urden. Pleased to meet you. These gentlemen are Virgil and Sogg, my traveling companions. Might I ask you a few questions?
    [​IMG]: Certainly.
    [​IMG]: I am a recent arrival on the continent, sir, fresh from the Zephyr--
    [​IMG]: (Sir, please!)
    [​IMG]: The zeppelin? You were on that doomed vessel? Poor fellow! What can I do for you?
    [​IMG]: Thank you for your sympathy, but it's quite alright. I am interested in learning more about your religions.
    [​IMG]: Ah! A fellow academic?
    [​IMG]: On a good day, sir, yes, though I'm not much of one for the armchair approach.
    [​IMG]: [Smiling broadly] I'm just the same. I've been here at Tarant University for many years. Mostly I teach classes, but I still do a fair bit of field research when I can find the time...
    [​IMG]: What sort of research are you currently engaged in?
    [​IMG]: I am studying the older, pagan religions of Arcanum. As I'm sure you're aware, the Panarii have been the favored religion in Arcanum for the last 1500 years, but before the Age of Legends, there were many religions and many gods. Each of the races had certain gods that they prayed too, and those gods are what I've been studying...
    [​IMG]: Fascinating. Could I ask you a few questions about the pagan religions?
    [​IMG]: Of course...
    [​IMG]: On our way to Tarant, we happened across a stone altar dedicated to Torg. Sogg here tells me he's a patron deity of the ogres. Are you familiar with this god?
    [​IMG]: Of course! There were twelve pagan gods in all. Eight lesser gods, one for each of the eight races, three greater gods, and the All-Father. Offerings were made to the gods in hopes of getting their blessing, and each god demanded a different offering. I've done quite a bit of research on them...I wrote a book about them... Here, have a copy. [He pulls the slim volume off the shelf and hands it to Ty'Ler.]
    [​IMG]: Thank you very much, sir. I say, do you know of any other altars or temples related to these gods?
    [​IMG]: Sir, I don't--
    [​IMG]: Yes. There are several remaining. There are still individuals who worship at them as well...both the Order of Halcyon and the cult of Geshtianna are examples. Most of the ancient pagan temples are in ruin now. But you can still find them, scattered throughout Arcanum, and some still have their altars intact...
    [​IMG]: Very interesting. I may be interested in visiting them some day. And what about yourself, Professor? Do you believe in these gods?
    [​IMG]: [He gives Ty'Ler a shrewd glance.] Do I believe in them? That's an interesting question. I flatter myself I've studied almost everything there is to know about the pagan gods... I've visited several of the temples, even made an offering or two. All I will say is this...I've seen enough to know that these ancient beliefs are not to be trifled with. Tread lightly among the old gods, my friend. They are not as forgiving as the modern faiths.
    [​IMG]: I certainly will. Before I go, sir, I can't help but admire this diagram on your wall...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]: Ah, yes. We call that Mazzerin's Mystery. Mazzerin was an elven mystic who did his share of research into the old religions. About 300 years ago, he wrote "The Book of the Twelve Powers," which was a fairly cryptic analysis of the pagan religions.
    [​IMG]: Do you have a copy?
    [​IMG]: I'm afraid not. I was fortunate to read it on an interlibrary loan some years ago, but was not permitted to make copies. I did draw heavily from the text when writing my own book, however.
    [​IMG]: I see. What was the thrust of Mazzerin's study into the old religions?
    [​IMG]: According to Mazzerin, there was some sort of a deeper connection between all of them... he believed the gods and their powers were somehow interwoven, and this diagram is supposed to explain how they are related. Certain gods don't get along with other gods, so-and-so begat so-and-so, get blessed by this fellow and that fellow curses you. That sort of thing...
    [​IMG]: I see. Can you explain the diagram to me?
    [​IMG]: Not entirely. There is an excerpt from "The Book of the Twelve Powers" that might help to explain what it means, but I have not yet been able to solve Mazzerin's Mystery. That excerpt is in the book...
    [​IMG]: Well, I shall certainly read it with care. May I make a copy of the diagram?
    [​IMG]: I have several. Here, help yourself. [He hands it to Ty'Ler.]
    [​IMG]: Thank you very much for your time, Professor. This has been most instructive.
    [​IMG]: Not at all, my dear fellow! Feel free to stop by at any time! Good morning!

[​IMG]: Pleasant fellow.
    [​IMG]: Sir, what exactly is your interest in these heathen traditions?
    [​IMG]: Virgil, I aim to do good, and what's good is what's godly. If these altars have power, it has to come from somewhere.
    [​IMG]: But-- But you're the Living One! You shouldn't--
    [​IMG]: I may well be, at that. So you don't think I should look into the competition?
    [​IMG]: Look, I just think this sort of thing is... beneath you. You see these cults all the time, and they're just a bunch of sad, hopeless people who turn to religion just because they can't get their lives together. It's pathetic!
    [​IMG]: And I suppose your lot aren't like that?
    [​IMG]: The Panarii look out for the good of the world! We're trying to help everybody to follow Nasrudin's teachings-- YOUR teachings-- and live better lives!
    [​IMG]: A worthy cause.
    [​IMG]: Yes, it is! But you're so wrapped up in this fetishistic nonsense, you haven't even bothered to find out! I mean, there's a Panarii church right here in this city, and--
    [​IMG]: Is there? Show me.
    [​IMG]: …Oh. Er, yes, certainly. This way...
    [​IMG]: Say, I don't suppose I could stop off at the tavern...?
    [​IMG]: Sorry, old chap. I may require your invaluable services as an expositor and confidential secretary.
    [​IMG]: Er?
    [​IMG]: Don't worry. We'll scrounge up a nice bottle tonight, when the day's work is behind us and we retire to a well-earned rest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]: Good afternoon, brother.
    [​IMG]: In the name of Nasrudin, the Panarii welcome you to our temple. How might I help you today, friend?
    [​IMG]: What can you tell me about the Panarii?
    [​IMG]: The Panarii church is based on the teachings of Nasrudin, an elf who lived during the Age of Legends. As head of the Elven Council, Nasrudin acted as a guide for all of the races, until the rise of Arronax and his evil followers. Nasrudin waged war, and Arronax was defeated...the Panarii Church was founded some time after that.
    [​IMG]: I see. What exactly is the Age of Legends?
    [​IMG]: The Age of Legends was a time between 1500 and 2000 years ago, a time when magick was a much larger part of the world than it is today, before the mages left for Tulla. A time of dragons and knights and kingdoms. The time of the Elven Council...
    [​IMG]: And what was this Elven Council?
    [​IMG]: The Elven Council was a group of elves and mages who oversaw the well-being of all of the races of Arcanum. They were ruled by Nasrudin, a wise and powerful elf who was head of the council for a thousand years.
    [​IMG]: A thousand years? But I thought you said the Age of Legends only lasted 500 years.
    [​IMG]: Ah, my child, you have a sharp mind. Yes, well, history is a bit muddled that far back. Contemporary accounts are rare and prone to hyperbole. The church's historians are always finding new evidence and piecing things together, but it's a long and detailed process. Most of us work with what information we have and accept that the rest will come.
    [​IMG]: I see. Of course, I did not mean to offend. What more can you tell me of Nasrudin?
    [​IMG]: Nasrudin was the benevolent leader of the Elven Council. For 1000 years he ruled all of Arcanum, and brought peace and prosperity to all of the races. His teachings are recorded in the sacred Archeaon, and are the cornerstone of all Panarii beliefs.
    [​IMG]: The Archaeon? Where might I see a copy of it?
    [​IMG]: There are no truly complete copies available anywhere. If you wish to make a real study of Nasrudin's teachings, you should study the official tome. It is housed in the First Temple of the Panarii in Caladon. You can see it there...
    [​IMG]: Really? Why are there no copies?
    [​IMG]: As I said, the church historians are learning new things every day. The Archaeon contains the complete history of the Panarii faith as well as the philosophy it's based on. It is very much a living testament, and changes are being made all the time as we in the church continue to improve our understanding.
    [​IMG]: I see. Well, I shall certainly seek it out one day. For now, let us return to Nasrudin... Are there any prophecies that he will return?
    [​IMG]: Yes... you are speaking of the Prophecy of the Living One. It is written in the Archaeon that one day both Nasrudin and Arronax will return to Arcanum and fight their final battle...
    [​IMG]: How exactly will they return?
    [​IMG]: Well, the literal meaning of the prophecy is as yet unknown... many believe that they will both be reincarnated, or that the prophecy is a metaphor for something more contemporary. The truth is, we just don't know...
    [​IMG]: I see. Thank you. Could you tell me more about this Arronax?
    [​IMG]: Arronax was an evil elf who came into power during Nasrudin's rule. He believed that only he and his followers were fit to rule, and decreed death to all of the races. Nasrudin, in his mercy, came to our defense and, I quote from the Archaeon "...defeated Arronax, banishing him forever to the Void."
    [​IMG]: What do you mean, he was 'banished'?
    [​IMG]: We're not quite sure...banishments no longer happen. We believe that it took powerful magick to do so, and once banished, that person never returned. But the Archaeon speaks of it, and so we believe...
    [​IMG]: Rightly so, I'm sure. Has anyone else ever been banished?
    [​IMG]: Yes...the Archaeon speaks of others who suffered the same fate as Arronax. There are four who are listed by name--Gorgoth, Kraka-tur, Kerghan and the Bane of Kree. They were all evil beings, but none were so evil as Arronax. If you ever see the Archaeon, you can read more about them...
    [​IMG]: I see. Thank you for your time, brother. This has been most informative.
    [​IMG]: I'm glad you stopped in, my friend. Would you like a pamphlet before you go?
    [​IMG]: Absolutely. Thank you.
    [​IMG]: Here you go. [He hands it to Ty'Ler.] In the name of Nasrudin, farewell!

[​IMG]: Well?
    [​IMG]: A very worthwhile excursion. I must say, I'm impressed by the pamphlet...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]: Well, it looks like we'll have to make a trip to Caladon some day. I'd love to get a look at this “Archaeon.”
    [​IMG]: Virgil, Why didn' he recognize you?
    [​IMG]: What?
    [​IMG]: That priest. He had no idea who you are. How come?
    [​IMG]: Well, uh, why would he? It's my first time here.
    [​IMG]: But then how come you knew where the church was?
    [​IMG]: That's a good point. Virgil, how did you know that?
    [​IMG]: Oh, well, I, uh, looked at your street map last night. To find that jeweler's shop.
    [​IMG]: But you said--
    [​IMG]: Oh, will you just drop it! Don't we have more important things to do?
    [​IMG]: Right. Let's find this P. Schuyler and Sons.

[​IMG]
    The jeweler's shop is located in a discrete alley off Devonshire Way. A shingle in the shape of a gryphon with two snake heads bears the name of the firm. An anxious-looking dwarf is fuming outside the building, next to a tall stack of newspapers that have apparently been left for scrap.
    [​IMG]: What do you think, Virgil, an employee?
    [​IMG]: In leather armor? I doubt it. Probably a gem dealer.
    [​IMG]: Well, let's see if we can get anything out of him anyway.
    [​IMG]: Okay, but be tactful. As a rule, dwarves around here don't take kindly to elves.
    [​IMG]: Nonsense, Virgil. That's nothing but a crass stereotype. What ho, minikin!
    [​IMG]: Oh gods, not again...

Edit: somehow missed that I didn't put the priest's face in. Fixed.

10. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying Ty'Ler's arrogance very much, thanks for another good installment.

11. Constipation

Constipation New Member

Look at him. I mean just look at him. Standing there like he owns the place. With his unkempt beard and manicured fingers.

I can hear him talking in my head even now.
    "Who might YOU be to ask a dwarf his name?"
    "Scratchings!?"
    "Muffled screeeams!"

Is he going to be eaten alive by zombies? Please say yes.

12. friartuck

friartuck New Member

Thanks for the comments.

Time will tell. But...

Hey! I don't understand why we're attacking such a--urk! Gods, no! Not the aubergine! Why?

13. Constipation

Constipation New Member

14. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

It's all about the zombies with you lately, isn't it Constipation?

15. Constipation

Constipation New Member

Everything's better with zombies. Name a single thing that isn't. Impossibru.

16. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

The story arc with Lionel and Jayna is genuinely very well written. I'm impressed. Is it based on your personal experience?

再說,你們那邊的女孩子也看重安全感?

17. friartuck

friartuck New Member

I'm glad you like it. No, I've never been in Lionel's or Jayna's shoes myself, but I've seen it often enough with friends and students.

我老婆比我大七歲,她不聞不問安全感,但是看重人身安全,所以出嫁了她的武術教練。:thumbup: 紅顏薄命。

18. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

哈哈,姐弟戀!不過不意外,你們香港人很多是這樣。我認識個香港女孩子,她媽媽比她爸爸大九歲。大陸這邊那樣當然不可能,我們這裡比較傳統,女人不能比男人強,否則兩個人都沒有面子。因此經常會講安全感之類的。

婦德,不必才明絕異也。婦言,不必辯口利辭也。婦容,不必顏色美麗也。婦功,不必工巧過人也。

19. friartuck

friartuck New Member

臺灣跟香港一樣,我認識臺北女人,她比老公大七歲,她的媽媽比爸爸小八歲。他爸爸說給她, “嫁雞隨雞,嫁狗隨狗。”

對了,關於你的 “婦德,婦言,婦容,婦功...” 我很欣賞。名句嗎?

20. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

是班昭的《女誡》裡面的。

Our Host!