The Great Arcanum Scavenger Hunt!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Jojobobo, Oct 14, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Well you can download Virgil's Debug Menu and use that to easily access locations as Muro mentioned previously, though if you're fairly new to the game this might ruin some things you'd want to try by yourself initially without cheating.

The targets you've posted up so far seem very good, I've not been able to crack any of them yet. I must echo Muro when I ask what version of the game are you using? Because if you're not using Drog's unofficial patch like I am some of these hunts may have been fixed, still they're worth leaving up regardless if they are from the unpatched version of the game for players who likewise are playing unpatched.

Yep, that's the one I had in mind.

Pretty much nothing, actually, apart from it was one of the last items I hadn't yet checked that I thought of! Also it fit the bill of there being "a limited fixed number of copies of it". I was searching for a Ring of Protection on elves and half elves in bars and came across Dante, thought I'd check to see if the robes were the item that had the +10 MR but not actually expecting to be right, and then by golly I was! I think I'd pretty much written off this target as one I'd never find unless by luck, like the Diseased Chainmail, because it was beginning to seem like no matter where I searched it wouldn't help. I still do keep searching for the Diseased Chainmail but I think I'm constantly just going over all the wrong places.

Don't worry, I haven't found this one yet! I was just wondering is this a quest item or not? Not that this would probably help much given that I've searched all available quest and Thieves' Underground items I could think of, but at least it might help me have a brainwave if it is an unusual quest item I have since forgotten. If you feel like this knowledge is too large of a hint then don't feel like you have to share it anyway!

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Nope. No one ever asks for it nor even mentions it.

3. Jojobobo

Hmmm it's not in the BMC, Wheel Clan, Stonecutter Clan, Mysterious ruins of the wastes, Vendigroth Ruins, Shades Beach, Half Ogre Island, Iron Clan or Place of Lost Voices is it? I have searched all these locations, but I have missed items in the past so I wanted to confirm. These were all the locations I felt had a distinctly technological air to them - if it's not in one of these I guess I'll scour the cities next to try and find it.

4. Deman

Deman Member

My game uses the official patch. It piques my curiosity to know if these exploits are still intact when any of the unofficial patches are applied though.

5. Jojobobo

Well I guess that's easiest for you to find out seeing as people who do have the latest UAP won't know if it's that or their own ignorance - whereas you could slap on the UAP, use Virgil's debug menu and then you're good to go!

So far the one's I've tried I've had no success with, but if this is my ignorance or the UAP I don't know.

• Two More Targets (Hopefully Tricky):
    • A junk pile with only one item in it. When this item is picked up and dropped again it uses its actual sprite and name instead of that for a junk pile.
    • A character who drops an item after being disintergrated. I have killed the character by other means and the item is indeed in their inventory, not just conveniently beneath them or something else that may make it look like the character dropped the item upon disintergration when this actually isn't the case.

6. Deman

Deman Member

I checked and everything I've posted so far except for acquiring unlimited copies of the "Debt" can be accomplished in the UAP.

Finally, I promised to drop another hint andI'll do that by saying;

Most of the time, my favorite spells were Dominate Will, Teleport and Resurrect.

Hope that helps!

7. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

When you disintegrate the linguist in the temple of Caladon, he drops a letter referring to the new translation of Nasrudin's location.

I assume there are others, and key quest items are indestructable.

I seem to recall Raven's old love letter also falls to the ground when she is disintegrated.

8. Jojobobo

Hmmm I guess there are probably quite a few main quest items this happens to, I will qualify that the item and character I am referring to are in no way related to the main quest.

I'll bear what you've said in mind Deman and see if I can crack some of your riddles.

9. Deman

Deman Member

Going back to one of the older targets.

Hope I'm not being captain obvious here, but there's also a chance to obtain a potion of this if you disarm (while being at least an expert at it that is) poisonous traps.

10. Jojobobo

No you weren't being captain obvious, to be honest I only ever level disarm traps up to get the trapmaker's spectacles so I wasn't aware that poison traps yielded normal poison, well done! Still there are the other two poisons out there some where.

Though it may not seem like it, I have been attempting your targets Deman but have had no success. I tried completing Lukan's and Owens' quests at the same time by getting the thieves' quest first, then Owens', then killing the thieves indirectly so they'd still like me upon resurrection, then completing Owens' quest - but Lukan's quest automatically fails upon his death even if you resurrect him. If you destroy the bridge materials before talking to Owens' he won't talk to you even if you've killed the thieves. I can't see anyway to solve this myself so maybe someone else will have more luck!

11. Deman

Deman Member

Heh, me neither. Before I started with the game, I read on this forum that traps weren't lethal enough and thus simply not worthy to be disarmed. I probably hadn't noticed this myself if I hadn't tried the skill with a cheated character. Two more of those potions though? Hmm. Could you give away a hint about their whereabouts?
    About those spectacles, though. With some fiddling, they can be stolen from the trapmaster in Caladon in the vanilla game. I shall check if it works in UAP as well.

EDIT: Try planting a helmet/head gear on the trap master that is considered better than the spectacles. Or simply cast Body of Fire on him and they should appear in his inventory.

I believe I'll post how it's done, it has been Christmas after all ^^. Maybe the solution can be used as guidance on how to complete some of my other targets.

1. First off, you were right about killing the thieves indirectly. Do this, before talking to any of the parties. Revive them afterward.

2. Now, have Lukas mention the quest (so that it'll be written in black in your journal) to destroy the bridge materials.

3. Walk over to Owens and tell him that you've taken care of the thieves to complete his quest. Note you must not have accepted the quest in beforehand.

4. Go and destroy the bridge materials and return to Lukas. Ask him about his task again and then say that you've already destroyed the materials to complete his quest.

5. Afterward you should also be able to persuade him and his cronies to leave. It seems that this part was actually easier to accomplish in the UAP.

There you go :). As for the target concerning whacking someone with those two awesome swords in Arcanum; I will reveal the least "obvious" person who can help you with that, namely priestess Birgit in Still Water.

12. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Are you thinking about Tarry, the elderly halfling who exchanged gardening equipment for magickal beans?

No, it is not.

Vendigroth Key 1?

Not sure if it's the one you have in mind, but might as well give it a go - the Gem of Malachi Rench cannot be disintegrated. If the quest giver, Geoffrey (or anyone else holding it, really) is disintegrated, the gem remains where he stood.

Makes for quite a good story, really. If I'm playing a goody-two-shoes, I prevent anyone from taking advantage of the dark powers of the gem by never parting with it until I can finally destroy it once and for all in the Bangellian Furnace.

13. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Dammit, Muro.

Vendigroth Key #1. I knew that one!

That's a neat snippet regarding the necromancer's gem, so you're forgiven.

Try not to be so goshdarned omniscient in the future.

14. Jojobobo

They're both in people's inventories; I'll give a more obtuse hint if this one doesn't prove too useful.

Hmmm I thought I tried this but couldn't get Lukas to talk about the quest again, which is weird. I'll double check when I have a free moment. UPDATE: I checked and it did work. I think I always killed the thieves, told Owens, and then tried to get the thieves' quest in which instance the dialog is no longer there to do so. I had no idea you'd be able to tell Owens you had done the quest when the thieves were in fact live and kicking still at the bridge. A very good hunt!

Correct, and...

Correct again! I was hoping the key may be something that was forgotten about, well done.

No this is not what I had in mind unfortunately, the item is already in the person's inventory. I will say this item can be destroyed in the Furnace too (I tested this to see if it was indestructible) - but I guess that isn't very surprising as even the Vendigrothian Device is destroyed if you bung it in there.

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Worn by a half orc villager in the Thirsty Soul pub in Stillwater.

16. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

One jar of poison can be found at the Razor's Point shipwreck.

17. Constipation

Constipation New Member

There a second one at Razors?

18. moonlight

moonlight Member

I was thinking that the other ring of protection would be on raven, am I right?

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Indeed you are, moonlight, indeed you are.

20. FrostyMixi

FrostyMixi Member

Hey guys!

I thought about throwing in a couple of items.

1. Hexed medallion with Fireflash DOT in combat.
    2. An item with BE:+2 and CH:+1
    3. A ring with CN+2

Our Host!