Slow weapons are useless?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Question, Nov 13, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Question

Question New Member

It seems that higher speed weapons are almost always better....i find that i can use the balanced sword all the way to the end game simply because there are very few magic swords available that have a higher DPS.

And i think damage from strength is per hit, so a faster weapon gives you more strength damage bonuses...

2. DaneKoponen

DaneKoponen Member

From my experience, I would agree, although I certainly haven't run any dps comparisons for melee weapons. I'm guessing someone (Muro) probably has.

The disparity becomes even greater when you factor in stuff like backstab and various other per hit bonuses. Backstab can get to something ridiculous like 100 dmg per hit (I believe), meaning that in some ways the measly dagger of speed can be one of the most powerful melee weapons in the game.

Or I could be wrong on all of that, it's been literally years since I've played a melee.

3. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I'm sure you mean it's one of the few tech swords with a high dps.

4. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

He may have meant that the lowly Balanced Sword is better than many of the more prestigious magickal weapons.

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, I did read that wrong. Sorry.

6. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Download Muro's Weapon Database if you want an accurate evaluation of different weapons. It calculates damage per action point amongst other things so you can see which weapons have the highest DPS.

7. Question

Question New Member

Thanks, looking at the excel file now, but the numbers seem to be off. The shotgun in the excel file has 30-60 damage, and thats not what it has ingame...

8. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I find some times when I sort the columns the numbers mismatch to the names. Just look at the items without sorting them and it's fine. I'm sure there'd be a way to make the rows stay fixed when you sort them but I'm an excel spaz so I wouldn't know.

9. DaneKoponen

DaneKoponen Member

It's also written for UAP, I believe, so if any weapon changes were made between your version and UAP there may be discrepancies...

But really, no reason not to use UAP ;)*

*Other than maybe stuff like SuperMegaMetaAbuse.**

**This game's combat is Joke level easy already. You don't need to glitch it. Seriously.

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Discussing Question's and Jojobobo's bizarre database-related observations in two thread simultaneously would be unnecessarily confusing. Question, Jojobobo and everyone else interested, I invite you to discuss this topic here.

Generally that would be true, though there are slow weapons which hit hard enough to compensate for it.

Indeed, though it should be kept in mind that the weapon's damage cannot exceed 3x its default maximal damage.

Let's consider the Dagger of Speed (1-4 default damage). Even when the player has 20 Strength (and therefore 20 bonus melee damage), the damage he will deal with the dagger will be 12-12, while some slower yet stronger weapons will deal greater damage per action point at that point.

If it weren't for that 3x max default damage cap, the said Dagger would be one of the most powerful weapons in the game, though it is fairly high on the list nonetheless.

I made a simple workaround for that. Go here, grab the modified SpellList.mes and enjoy abusing the trick in a game patched with the UAP.

Our Host!