Tim Cain joins Obsidian, working on Arcanum 2?

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by DarkUnderlord, Oct 13, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

If nothing else, the setting of Arcanum is ambitious and unique. I'd say that this quality alone made Arcanum less accessible than Fallout; its setting was too obscure, occupying too specific of a niche. People are familiar enough with post-apocalyptic speculation to know where to compartmentalize that in their fiction spectrum. It would be uncommon enough for somebody to recognize steampunk, let alone high-fantasy steampunk.
    I'd say the setting was fleshed out well enough. The industrial revolution challenging the magickal establishment made for a fitting backdrop to advance the dwarf versus elf plot. This setting was not only a convenient plot device, but also allowed for the game mechanics to highlight the dichotomy of Magick and Technology.

2. random1

random1 New Member

"at first I was like: Agreed."

"but then I was like: lolwut"
    I don't know if you're trying to refer to bethesda or Obsidian in that remark, but it doesn't make sense in any case: publishers don't give a fuck about the hardcore fans and Obsidian didn't do that to please anyone, they just see him as a very valuable asset and probably a good friend too since some of them already worked together.
    Also you are wrong at the hardcore fans reception of NV. NV is indeed perceived as a worthy successor to FO, it's the real FO3 so to speak. Check NMA.

The important thing to remember here is:
    What matters is that he'll be able to contribute to any game he gets his hands on.
    Even if there is no Arcanum 2 in the works, it won't surprise me at all if they eventually work on another steampunk game in the future.

3. Kick Phil

Kick Phil New Member

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Our Host!