They broke up, but can't move on.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Sep 26, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xyle

Xyle Member

I am not righteous, saved through forgiveness. As for pretentious, that I will agree with, but there is a difference between an imperfect being and the ideals that he strifes for. Stop confusing the two. Because quite frankly, there is no reasoned society that deals with man through reason other than force. If there was, why do all the "civilized" nations have armies and police forces? And why did you swear except to motive me through the force of your displeasure (emotion) as opposed to persuading me that my view points are wrong through reason? Your own argument discredits your position.

If anybody wants to discredit my position about how "civilized" the world is? Be civil.

----------

{ with a puppy-dog look and a whiny voice } But I don't post in every thread. { resume normal behaviour }

Sorry, about that bit of humor. I understand not wanting to encounter my brand of bullshit at every turn, but could you clarify the constraints? There is a part of me that likes clear, codified rules to follow.

I honestly don't post in every thread, therefore I could reason that I haven't done what you claim. But as I not a person of reason, but of understanding, reason only has a support role to play with my understanding.

What I understand is that I have posted in probably three, possibly four, of the top threads and that means you encountered my brand of bull once too frequently. Therefore, IF my understanding is correct, I should make sure that I only infect nor more than two of the top ten currently popular posts with my viral "bullshit".

@ ALL
    Here's the kicker: if I am correct in my Understanding, then that justifies me continuing down that road and leaving reason in its diminished, supporting role.

I honestly believe that you guys don't believe that I am genuine. Let me assure you that I am. Bullshit is that which is spoken without regard for truth. I very well may be speaking bullshit, but it is bullshit that I, at the moment that I write, believe:

The world we live in is a place filled with dangers, to delude yourself into believing that we live in a civil society will make you vulnerable to the dangers of those that behave civil to your face, but uncivil behind your back. Therefore one's understanding should not be that the world is growing more civilized. One's understanding should be that as children we should not talk to strangers because we don't know all the dangers they represent, and as adults, we should be on guard against those dangers.

One of those dangers is conformity (aka Peer Pressure). And how I am to learn how to guard against the danger of conforming to the ways of the world by merely isolating myself against that danger? I can't. Hence my reason for being on this forum: To withstand a known (to me) form of behaviour without conforming to it. Some of you might be pleased to note that I keep failing. Granted, I don't fall as far into the pit as some are in, so some might not notice, but I do fall.

The only problem is that success is not a personnal triumph, but a communial one.

2. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Your common-as-muck egotism is in fact diagnosable as a slightly more exotic disorder, sir.

I advise you to lay off the religion and get some sleep.

3. Smuelissim0

Smuelissim0 New Member

It's true that the way the police make us behave civilly is by holding the threat of violence over our heads, but the result is that we do behave civilly. In medieval times, your chances of being killed by another human being were far higher than they are today. The only way you could interpret that as being a "more moral" arrangement, is if you think being killed is a good thing. And the only way you could do that is if you held the crazy idea that there was some kind of supernatural entity who would reward you for being dead.

Oh, wait...

4. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Why is anyone even responding to him? Even when he realizes he's talking nonsense and contradictions, and then admits it when someone points it out to him, he doesn't change his mind, he asks for a few months to twist what he says and thinks to conform with not being stupid, something we've yet to see from him.

5. Smuelissim0

Smuelissim0 New Member

6. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Xyle's a bot. He failed my Turing test.
    Now let's bind his thumbs, throw him in a pond, and hope he doesn't float. At least then we'd have the satisfaction of watching him burn.

Seriously, I don't think it's the case that anybody believes you to be nongenuine, it's more the case that you are such a pain in the arse about what you choose to be genuine about. I understand the goal of religious zealots is to "save" people and gain converts by witnessing, but nonreligious zealots tire of that "bullshit." It's not that you are nongenuine in your zeal, it's that your message itself is received as nongenuine.

To Darkfool's point, I would normally suggest that you use your best judgment about when to bring religious zeal into a discussion, but I am skeptical of your best judgment. However I'm skeptical of your judgment. For the time being, post religious zeal in threads dedicated only to religious zeal.

7. Smuelissim0

Smuelissim0 New Member

8. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Why did I swear? Because in the seven months you have been on these forums you have continuously ignored any reasonable discussions and points in every conversation you have been involved in. I am not going to indulge you beyond this post. I have zero interest in debating with somebody that sets up a strawman and argues against it by presenting a false dichotomy.

9. Fresh Air

Fresh Air New Member

I smell something fishy here and it's not that cunt Magikot either.

10. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

11. Xyle

Xyle Member

What? Do you want me to post my agreements, such as "Hey, you're right most of my posts are argumentive and in the spirit of this forum"? Okay. Hey, you're right most of my posts are argumentive and in the spirit of this forum. I thought that was the point, especially since you are such know-it-alls that I have little else to add.

What to know what I have been doing the last few weeks besides arguing on this site? Playing PS2's Final Fantasy 12. I discovered a way to play that is very time consuming, but when you fight the storyline Bosses, they go down fast. And have been structuring the data that I have from various sources (mostly a game guide that surprisingly wasn't finished before being published) to best analyse it according to my discovered methodology. Now, I am under the impression that no one else here would be interested in this. If I am wrong, tell me and I'll start a thread.

12. TheDavisChanger

Xyle, you suddenly took a turn toward the interesting. What is the nature of this particular play style?

13. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Damnit Xyle, you don't know what Magikot is saying, do you?

14. Xyle

Xyle Member

He is saying that I am debating rather than discussing. That I am being a contrary ass whose talkpoints ignore the simple fact that simplicity's usefulness ceases to be useful the instance reality walks in the door. That I am using distractions and illusions rather than dealing with core hard reality. -- Actually, he is not saying those things, he is implying them OR I am interprating his words to imply them.

And if he is doing that, then he is also doing what I am doing: being a pain in the ass by reminding those seeking escape from reality by reminding them of it. We should both stop, but neither of us will because it adds character to our characters.

And I just like to emphasize that I used the word "talkpoints", instead of "viewpoints" because what I say doesn't reflect what I mean. And what I mean is my viewpoint, but what I say is subject to misinterpration based on the reader's understanding. And I have yet to master the ability to match the two. And the range of misinterprations is still massive -- yikes!

15. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I'm going to cast a second vote for hearing about your FF12 play style instead of this stuff.

16. Xyle

Xyle Member

I'll start a new thread, but here is a teaser because it will be awhile before I do so:
    Challenge No. 1) Acquire the Cyprus Pole *before* entering the Palace.

17. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    WILL XYLE BE ABLE TO CREATE A THREAD THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT TO READ?

TUNE IN NEXT TIME, FOR...

THE AMAAAAZING ADVENTURES OF STUPID-THEORY-MAAAAAAN!

o/ Stupid Theory Man!
    o/ Stupid Theory Man!
    o/ Says whatever an anus can!

18. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

19. Xyle

Xyle Member

No, I think my verbal skills are so poor that I make even the most interesting topic boring. But you now find out for yourself.

20. TheDavisChanger

It's probably more the case that you presume that something that is interesting to you is intrinsically interesting and that everybody else will be intrigued by the topic. Interest is very individual.

Our Host!