Nothing exists.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xyle, Sep 27, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Some of what you say here are snippets of your unique worldview. That is what I think is being revealed. Can't really believe something without proof, now can I?
    I never said I was talking about you, and I did feel that I probably should've edited my post so you wouldn't think I was. I related my example to show, regardless of convictions, a person can be wrong about what they experience. For me, a great deal of what I thought was truth was manufactured by my subconscious. For you, I think it's more along the lines of misunderstandings permeating your thought processes.
    Dreams and "pure" (as in not induced by foreign chemicals) hallucinations are caused by three specific chemicals; DMT, 5-MEO-DMT, and Bufotenin. These three chemicals are manufactured within the brain of any animal capable of dreaming. They can also be ingested, when a source is found, to make you hallucinate (hint; bufotenin is manufactured wholesale by the Bufo alviarus toad, within its venom). Hallucinations can also be brought on by too much dopamine in the brain.
    Even if it's a dream or a hallucination, it's a chemical process, and the body thrives on all of the chemicals it can produce. Are you saying that if a person's body makes something out of raw ingredients and uses it, it's unnatural? Then, you could say that the production of vitamin D while in sunlight isn't natural.
    What you seem to be implying is that I said all hallucinations were harmful. I never said that, and don't think that at all. What I said, was that when a person in a psychotic episode isn't in pain (be it physical or mental), they're in what is known as a delusion of grandeur, where the hallucinations and delusions they experience allow them to think they're above the rabble, that they have some power no other human possesses, or that they're the very incarnation of God. This is harmful in its own way, because even after the episode has passed, the sufferer retains a portion of the delusion, and will either think "Man, that's pretty weird...but I don't know how to disprove what I felt." or "This makes complete sense, I knew I was special in a way no one could understand!"
    Hallucinations can be both good AND bad. I've experienced positive hallucinations that I knew weren't real. Once, I closed my eyes and I saw a kind old man, laughing. Then, he turned into a pink Japanese lucky-cat (or maneki-neko). After that, I was treated to a rainbow of colors I never knew existed. All in all, a positive experience that I can recall when I'm depressed.
    You've actually argued the point that some of what you see while awake is not a hallucination because you simply don't agree with me. I have some bad news for you; it's all hallucinations. Unless you can record it on camera, in a digital audio recorder, or in some as of yet undetermined device that records smells, it's a hallucination. The subject matter isn't relevant. It can be uplifting, spiritual, or otherwise revelatory, but the truth is, even if you brought on the visions yourself through a force of will, they're driven by chemical processes in the brain that alter how your reality is filtered.
    I never once said that all hallucinations were bad, so I don't know where you got that. However, if you get wrapped into thinking your hallucinations are special, that is bad.
    I never called in to question how much love is shared between yourself and your other. I also won't say you don't have some sort of link with her, because I don't care if you say you do. What I do care about is if you say your hallucinations aren't actually hallucinations due to the subject matter or what brought them on, and therefore have some bearing on everything else. Even dreams are classified as hallucinations in the Encyclopedia Brittanica.
    You know what love is? It's a chemical reaction. Opiates produced in the brain. These same opiates are what keep people on coke. Genuine love is much healthier than cocaine, though. I won't tell you you're better off on blow.

2. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

What'd be funny is if it turned out that she was sucking off some other guy or fucking dead bodies and Xyle found out later and realized that he can't read people's minds after all.

3. Xyle

Xyle Member

Ending with a simple, "btw I don't mean you personally" would have worked.

Hence the indication that what I believe to a spiritual event may only be a manifestition.

No, what I am saying is that the changes in your body's chemistry that is caused by stress (and drugs, but you already eliminated that) is unnatural.

No, but with discussions of drug-induced halluninations being the first thing we are taught about concerning hallucinations (such when school teaches LSD-trips occur years after taking the drug as a scare tactic to prevent drug use.), most people assume that they are. Which is why people use terms like visions and waking dreams -- so that the spiritually beneficial "hallucinations" don't share the same connotations as drug-induced ones. And based on Native American pratice of deliberately creating visions with drugs, I am also disinclined to accept the idea that all drug-induced hallucinations are harmful as well.

Therefore, people like me, who value their visions, don't wish to deal with the negative reactions of those that don't have proper knowledge about visions and hallucinations. So we (meaning I) firmly stand the stance that there is a difference between visions and hallucinations. Then the ignorant either accept this position or research the topic and become knowledgable enough to either realize that there is more to the issue than hallucinations are all like the scary LSD trips.

So I'm sorry. It seems that you tripped a defense mechanism of mine that I didn't realize I had until I wrote this response.

-------------- Warning: Below this line is bullshit. --------------

Life is pain: I am either in a state of emotional vulerablity that is synomous with emotional pain arising from my very open heart feeling all the negative emotions directed my way or I believe that I have power. And that "power" I call "Empathy" (as in Star Trek) and essential to my ability to communicate with others. For it keeps my mind focused on reading the body language and other non-verbal clues that a High School class taught accounts for 90% of what is communicated. And what I learn from such "cold reading" of others is more that what they want shared so that contributes to the sense that I have power.
    It is possible that I have Aspenger's. I have a half-sister (who actually wrote a book on the topic just before it became popular, and therefore, may have wrote THE book on Aspengers) who has it. But if so, then I may have also been given a means of overcoming it. But the "cure" is as difficult as the "disease" except that all of the resulting difficulties are mine alone to bear:
    The solution to being closed to the emotions of others is to learn how to be open to them. The normal solution to being hurt by the emotions of others is to be closed them. But if one only have an on or off switch for controlling emotional openness instead of the full range (arising from an extreme ability to focus), one cannot close their hearts and still be able to communicate with some failing that is either Aspenger's or something similar. The solution to that problem is to be surrounded by positive emotions, and in our world, those are hard to come by.

Actually, I don't think that I have Aspenger's, itself, but there are times when I feel (but not think or believe) as if I have something akin to it and the deception that I might creates a useful frame of reference for considering the implications of what I do experience by taking the problem to an extreme that others may be experiencing. (all open or all closed; strong feelings in living in a world where no one cares;) by simplificing the problems so that my mind can deal with them. But my point is that after reading your declaration of pain or delusion, one could believe that my life is a psychotic episode: All pain or delusion. But if "Life is pain" then perhaps the pain I feel is normal.

-------------- End Bullshit --------------

Now I don't believe that the ability to cold read people is a superpower, any more than the ability to track is. But neither is ability is that gets developed very well in civil society. Tracking because it is useless in concrete environments, and Cold Reading because Lying is a part of the social graces. So the question becomes, at what point does feelings of Pain and Power become ...

... It seems to me that my greatest problem in this thread isn't a question of my sanity, but a question of whether of how much I understand about what is written. My apologies for my deceptions.

4. Grossenschwamm

Most people on this planet have what are considered autistic traits to varying degrees, whether it be an innate attention to detail, considerable awkwardness, or blunt statements by the speaker that can be interpreted as rudeness by any given listener. Some people have more of these traits than others, and some have enough to literally be considered on the spectrum of autism. You may have the disorder, as there are many people on this planet who have some degree of autism and aren't diagnosed because they've developed coping mechanisms, or because they simply don't care whether or not how they think or do things is different from what is "normal." By the way, it's spelled "Asperger's."
    I've been diagnosed, but not until after I graduated highschool. My dad is very likely to have the disorder, as is my sister, but I'm the only one who's spoken to a doctor about it.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

6. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

I have decided that I shall be joining the topics on this forum. I shall also add some kind of music to each topic, making it the topics "theme".

Who knows, sometimes I might actually be on topic.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pI0yX2LwAW8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pI0yX2LwAW8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

7. Grossenschwamm

That's exactly how I say it, but according to Austrians it's pronounced "Aus-PAIR-gers."
    One of my friends just looked at me one day and said "Ass-burger. Get it? It's a BURGER. Made of ASS." It was shortly after I stopped toking up, and everyone around me was high. In retrospect, I don't know why I was there if I knew that's what was going to happen.

8. Xyle

Xyle Member

Well, at least I can read because I am not sure that you can. I never said that I can "read minds". Reading minds is an invasion of another's privacy and bypasses their natural defenses. But I can "hear" what others mindspeak to me. If someone mindspeaks to me, I can seperate that thought from my own and know that the thought came from another. However, such intimacy is rarely given especially since we are used to being mentally isolated from everyone else.

Many people are so caught up with the idea that all their thoughts are their own that they can't seperate the thoughts that they hear from others from the thoughts that come from their own will: Not every evil thought that enters in your head is your own, but it seems to me that WS sure is making them his own.

Of course, we grow up used to the idea that our minds are a private place where we can think whatever we want without consequences. However, there are consequences: God, if no one else, hears our thoughts, so only our disbelief in his existance affords us the illusion of privacy. And a belief in his existance doesn't always make us behave in a manner that takes his existance into account.

9. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I hear the sound of bullshit.

Also I hate this idea. It makes so many Christians who develop OCD think they're evil because they're like "Oh no I can't help but imagine the Devil butt-fucking Jesus every time I go into church. God can hear this so I'm definitely going to Hell."

10. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

That is called schizophrenia.

11. Xyle

Xyle Member

Which part?
    ยท The insult? Yeah, that's bullshit.
    ยท Declaring a difference between reading and listening? The language did not originate with me: Not bullshit.
    ยท Me being able to "hear"? It's a simple matter of self-knowledge. I know my will, and I know what thoughts originate from my will. Sure some thoughts can originate from within someone and not their will or conscious choice, but those tend to come from emotions, past decisions, relational thinking, or some other justification. But when a female with whom you have no sexual interest in is saying flirtatious things about you in a non-serious manner and is getting turned on (as indicated by body language) by her inappropriate behavior and a thought pops into your head of a sexual act between the two of you when you have no preinclination to thinking such a thought -- yeah, you would think that thought came from her. And she wasn't even the female with whom I have a telepathic relationship. And then when you respond mentally with a thought of her and her mood suddenly shifts ... Well, it's not like I could ask her if she thinking such about me and thereby prove the event. But yeah, I believe based on that event I knew when I can hear the thoughts of others (strangers/acquaintances) as opposed to temptations, my own thoughts and thoughts from my soulmate.

What is most peculiar about such things is that they are plainly thoughts occurring within the mind (and not hallucinations with the illusion as if they came from the body) and simultaneously information that came from without. There were no preclude, no warning, no inclination, no nothing that would indicate or justify the position that the thought was mine. And her change in mood just added justificition to the belief.

12. Smuelissim0

Smuelissim0 New Member

By that logic, you're all telepathic because you know what I'm thinking right now simply by reading the words I've written here which reflect my thoughts. Wooooo!

13. Jojobobo

Wow, a girl was flirting heavily with Xyle and he just happened to "listen" to a thought from her of the two of them having sex - give this man a round of applause people, he clearly is a genius!

Come on, someone was flirting with you, you naturally think of one of the outcomes of what could come of that flirting (not from you having any real desire to have sex with her - just because you realised you could if you wanted to) and you think that's reading minds (or listening to thoughts, whatever)? That really isn't anything special, and the fact that you sent a thought back and she also "listened" and changed her behaviour is most probably that you started acting like a wierdo and it creeped her out. Get a grip Xyle, often I can predict what my partner is going to say and sometimes what she's thinking about but it's nothing more than living with someone and being around them for a prolonged period of time - there's nothing special or telepathic about it.

14. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

My bad.

15. wobbler

You know that person in the room? That special one that seems familiar, yet you have never seen that face before? The one that just feels right?

That person is well trained in the art of deception.

16. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I take credit for all of the ideas people mind speak to me, especially the crazier ones.

17. Xyle

Xyle Member

Your words provide Proof of what you are thinking. Telepathy provides no proof DURING the event. You must ask if the shared thought was shared AFTER the event. And with most thoughts intimate (even non-sexual ones), asking tends to be bad manners.

"About" me, not towards or with me. She wasn't flirting With me.

Sexual acts include more than sex. The thought in question was Third Base, not a Home Run. It was also a fantasy that I don't have, but definitely is the type of fantasy that a female would have. And no, I have no intentions to tell you what it was; I am still too much of gentleman to do so.

If I said what you thought I said, then I would agree, but I didn't say what you thought I said, therefore your conclusion is invalid as your understanding of what I said.

Offline, I am a highly reserved and unexpressive individual. Cool by some definitions. Almost Cold except when you start talking to me, unless you are hoping to gain Cool points by talking to me, then I am cold. Otherwise I tend toward Warm to those that demonstrate Courage by initializing the conversation. (But since others cannot initialize conversations with me when online, I tend to play my facade differently.)

Needless to say, I didn't act the weirdo. I didn't even react at all. I endured her silliness because I understood her.

I knew her for less half a year. And I knew my soulmate when connection formed for less than a year's worth of interactions.

18. wobbler

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hfYJsQAhl0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hfYJsQAhl0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

19. Jojobobo

Personally I like wobbler's response, it sums up my response better than I could have.

Gross where do you find out about these things? I'm genuinely curious as in my masters year at uni (next year) I'm going to have to do my own research project. I'm trying to find ideas from any available source hence the interest.

20. Grossenschwamm

I did a lot of research into the human mind, basically to find out what can cause depression, mania, psychosis, all that. I also looked into the mechanics of dreaming. Where I got information on the three mentioned dream chemicals is Erowid. Erowid is a free database containing comprehensive legal and scientific information on nearly every single intoxicant people use. They also collect experiences from people who have used these substances, arranged in collections that go from "Mystical Experience" to "Train Wreck". They also have stories from (or in some cases, about) people who've suffered health problems from taking any given substance, be they allergic reactions or even a panic attack. One account I've read was a man who had insufflated a particular amount of cocaine and ended up having a heart attack. He survived, but he didn't go to the hospital and only found out his heart was damaged during an X-ray for something unrelated.
    I've read about a great deal of drugs on this site, and that information actually prevented me from experimenting more with illicit substances than I would have, given a lack of knowledge.
    DMT, 5-MeO-DMT and Bufotenin are all metabolites of tryptophan, an essential amino acid. Because they're structurally analogous to other neurotransmitters, they can cross the blood-brain barrier when smoked, insufflated, or eaten (though eating them requires that an MAOI was taken at least 15 minutes before to prevent breakdown). When they're released during REM sleep, they fuel the tempo of a dream; supplying the imagery and the emotions instilled during observation.
    They also have a similar structure to psilocybin, which, when it enters the brain, will attach to the chemo-receptors that would traditionally accept serotonin. Psilocybin's similarity to serotonin causes the high experienced. It floods the brain with stimuli that people normally take for granted, enhancing the effect from vision, taste, smell, everything. This rush of information from the sense organs can cause false-positives such as hallucinations, or simple euphoria. Because of serotonin's role in mood and how people process information, simply having a bunch of that can cause a considerable psychiatric effect, though it's sufficiently toxic if levels within the body remain high for any length of time, necessitating emergency treatment.

Our Host!