Brass & Steel: A Game of Steampunk Adventure

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grakelin, Aug 26, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Here is a Steampunk RPG I stumbled across while looking for something else. Thought I would share.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Looks cool! Unfortunately, the .pdf preview doesn't show any of the actual rules.

3. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Confound it all! I was hoping for a software-type game, preferably for the Nintendo DS.

Thanks for sharing, Grakelin. Lately I've been pursuing source books that define steampunk worlds. Between Etherscope and Wolsung, I'm pretty satisfied with what is out there. I'll give Brass & Steel a serious eye.

4. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Couldn't find a pirated version or a print copy at the local retail store to check and see if the system is actually worth it, so I'll have to give it a pass until I hear some good news about it, myself. Sometimes these Indie titles shank you.

5. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

6. Coinneach

Coinneach New Member

Hey there. I'm a co-designer of Brass & Steel. You can find another review of our game at: http://www.flamesrising.com/brass-amp-steel-rpg-review/

We are a stat+skill, d20 roll-under system. We're emphasizing streamlined play more than simulation, so I think you'd find combat runs much more smoothly than Shadowrun, which I have run extensively.

If you have any questions about the game I'd be happy to answer either via email (khvinson@pameangames.com) or via our forums, which can be found as a link from our main site at www.pameangames.com.

7. TheDavisChanger

Check it out: sentient spambot actually believes it designs games...and it gravedigs!

8. Coinneach

Coinneach New Member

Does a three-week-old thread still on the front page count as grave-digging?

As for my sentience, Turing results available upon request.

9. TheDavisChanger

It depends on whom you ask.

Welcome to The House of Lords!

10. magikot

Yeah, I dont think 3 weeks qualifies as a dig. Sorry TDC.

First time we have seen a game designer for one of the games we discussed here (as far as I have seen anyway. I am sure Muro will now produce a link proving me wrong...). I want to buy this but my current game group has no interest in steampunk at the moment; and there is no room in our current rotation for a new game anyway.

11. Coinneach

Coinneach New Member

Thank you for the welcome.

Now that I've discovered this community I'll stop in from time to time.

As for money and time constraints, I totally understand. We set the price at $9.99 in the hope that it will seem inexpensive as a core RPG product, given the $45 and $50 price tags on hardcover releases. Also, we'll very soon have the print-on-demand service for RPGNow up and running, so you'd be able to get a physical copy in the near future. We haven't decided on a price point yet, but we'll try to keep it <$30.

Again, feel free to throw questions about Brass & Steel my way.

12. magikot

Coinneach... that is a Gaelic name isnt it?

Looking through the preview it says you have plans to expand the arcane aspects and add some things about tinkering. Have you begun work on these - or other - additional books? If so how are they progressing?

13. Coinneach

Coinneach New Member

Coinneach is the Gaelic for my real name, the anglicized Kenneth.

Here's what we're working on right now:

-revision 1.1 of the rule book, with typos crushed and a few minor rules tweaks resulting from our experience at GenCon.

-a scenario pack including our six GenCon tabletop scenarios and an outline for the 45-character LARP that was the climax. We're also thinking of tacking on a mini-location sourcebook for Constantinople, the city the scenarios are all set in.

-We're working on some NPC folios. We envision it to be packs of villains, allies, contacts, etc, priced in the $1.50-$2.00 range. Probably in the 16-32 page range.

-A costuming guide written mostly from an in-character viewpoint.

Here's what we're planning on doing in the medium term, i.e. the first three quarters of next year:

-A more complete setting book for Constantinople and the Near East Provinces.

-Sourcebooks for Arcanism (magic) and Lucid Dreaming.

-An expanded 2.0 rulebook with an actual print run. Probably in the 250-300 page range, as opposed to the 160 of 1.0, with more and better art, more chapters on subjects like NPCs and antagonists, expanded versions of existing chapters, more and better rules for tinkering, some short fiction pieces, more examples, et cetera. We plan on offering a discount on the 2.0 book to anyone who has purchased the 1.0 version.

All of this depends, of course, on sales (and possibly a Kickstarter funding drive). Venture capitalists aren't exactly lining up to fund RPG start-ups. So far the reviews of 1.0 have been very positive and we're going to start the low-budget version of a marketing blitz when the print-on-demand version of the book becomes available. So hopefully you'll see everything I listed above and more, but we are none of us going to get a second mortgage to keep it going if the demand isn't there.

Anyway, thanks for your interest and keep the questions coming.

14. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

15. Coinneach

Coinneach New Member

The sexual orientation of your Brass & Steel character is entirely up to you.

16. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bastardised version of a loose translation of 'cry baby' in Gaylick.

17. Coinneach

Coinneach New Member

(notices bridge overhead, stops feeding troll)

18. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

The awkward part of this thread is where I indicate I would be willing to 'try before I buy', and the authour walks in.

19. Coinneach

Coinneach New Member

We considered a Creative Commons License for our first publication, which would have made it completely permissible to pass on copies of the PDF to others. We may go to that model of copyright in the future.

Honestly, I don't mind a "try before you buy" model as I tend to believe that some people will never buy a legit copy but that many people will buy it if they like the product. I'm more interested in exposure right now than worrying about piracy.

Also, though we do have a "humble prison shiv" as an item of equipment, I've no intention of shanking you.

20. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

But will you help me steel my brass?

Our Host!