Changing follower reputation

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by dajuke, Sep 6, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. dajuke

dajuke New Member

So I've never actually tried this until today. I asked Magnus to wait for a day or so while taking care of something, and when I bring him back into the party his reaction is down to 28 from 43. I thought if I give him dwarven snuff his reaction is supposed to improve, but after three doses of it nothing happens. Do followers not have a specific substance for each one that will improve how they feel in the party? I know the e-guide mentions what makes each follower happy.

Or is there another way to improve their reactions?

2. moonlight

moonlight Member

Well , there is always fate points to use.

3. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

That's true; if you have a fate point to spare, you can use it to force a good reaction with Magnus the next time you speak with him. I'd recommend doing this when you have at least two fate points, but then, I would always use them to restore my health when I ran out of salves or potions.

4. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

[​IMG]

Seriously man, buy more potions. Run to the nearest shopkeeper to buy tons of potions. I always walk around with >10 of the heavy stuff, take no chances. Fate points >>>> money

5. Grossenschwamm

I really didn't need fate points for anything else, due to my play style. And, just because I said "always," that doesn't mean it was frequent. I only did it one or two times in a playthrough. With the amount of combat I was likely to see, that's relatively insignificant and only occurred during emergency situations where I had forgotten to buy more healing stuff before setting off somewhere.

6. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I never end up spending mine, I just hoard them, I always feel like if I do spend them then I'll miss out on a useful opportunity later to use one and not have any left - so yeah I usually finish the game with about 10 left and nothing I can do with them anymore.

7. dajuke

dajuke New Member

So looks like the e-guide was wrong. a shame, it would be nice if it was accurate on this. Oh well, I wanted to trade Magnus out anyhow for a more magically inclined follower. Thanks all.

8. Grossenschwamm

It works when a follower's reaction goes below 20. Coincidentally, that's also when the bribe dialogue will appear. It goes kinda like this;

PC: What's wrong?
    NPC: Well, I don't like that (insert complaint here). However, if you give me (insert item here) then I might change my mind.
    Also, if you did something bad while making Magnus wait, if you weren't in turn-based mode he'll react to it. Plus, depending on your race, he'll like you differently. Racism.

9. DaneKoponen

DaneKoponen Member

If you did anything but kill Magnus with newspapers, you're doing it wrong.

10. sea

sea New Member

I just recently finished a play-through. For some reason, Dog ended up hating me with -1000 reaction and was marked as hostile (though he didn't attack unless he died and was resurrected, or was told to leave the party). Beyond that, gifts didn't seem to have any effect on party members' reactions whatsoever, and for some reason their reaction towards me steadily declined for no clear reason throughout the game. By the end I think Magnus was on the brink of leaving me even though I was constantly completing good quests and never did anything to piss him off. Meanwhile, some NPCs ended up dying and were resurrected, gaining a huge reaction boost. I wouldn't mind any of this if I just had a better idea what actually affected companions' reactions, and if there was a more reliable way to increase them.

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

What game version were you playing, sea?

12. Grossenschwamm

From what I saw of the other thread, he's on 1.0.7.4. from GOG with Drog's patch.
    Sea, you might be doing "good" quests, but if a character is marked as "good" by the game while doing evil things, and you kill them, your party will not like that. One example is the
    Whytechurch murders; everything about that quest will lead you to kill Vincent. The police will tell you to do it, Vincent will even tell you to do it. However, Vincent is a "good" character, and killing him will piss off your good teammates.
    Not sure why the dog would start to dislike you, though. It shouldn't matter what you do, the dog will always be there.

13. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Vincent is no longer "good" in the UAP.

14. Grossenschwamm

Well forget what I said. That was the only thing I could think of.

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Another example would be dealing with the crop eating pigs in Ashbury. Always reminded me of this.

Our Host!