Define reliable website

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xyle, Sep 6, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Which is the more reliable: Wikipedia or Nasa?

1. wikipedia.org

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. science.nasa.gov

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Using the sources of a wiki article isn't directly using the wiki article, though.

2. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on this forum with any sort of doctoral degree (could be wrong, I know DE teaches), and I can tell you there is a time and a place for sources like Wikipedia. Wikipedia is a great casual reference, or even a great jumping off point for further research, but it is not a credible source in and of itself. Nasa.gov isn't something I would quote either, by the by.

When I was writing my final giant-ass paper, I actually used Wikipedia as a starting point for several sections, following the trail of quoted references until you get to something scholarly that's useful or quotable. Writing any sort of paper is best done that way, search until you find an awesome review paper on your topic of choice, and then raid it's Works Cited section for all of your sources.

People that get up in arms about this sort of thing are either brand new to higher-level writing, lazy, or stupid.

3. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Who needs school when you've got Wikipedia? That's my philosophy.

4. Grossenschwamm

I used wikipedia as a starting point to find academic sources for my paper on the extinction of the ediacarans. Of course, I wrote that paper for my first college english course, so it only ended up being eight pages long. And, due to my professor using a new grading system that meant everything under a 97 was a B, I ended up with a B+ as my final grade.

5. Smuelissim0

Smuelissim0 New Member

You should have written about giant asses instead, like Philes did.

6. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

7. Grossenschwamm

8. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I'm glad you think so, that means you are lying when you were complaining about our protagonist's arse receiving a good seeing to.

9. Grossenschwamm

Zanza, you're being an ass. Despite asses being pretty great, it's possible to dislike a singular ass.
    You've really been on my case since I posted after Smuel. I actually hope this is an act, and that you're a nice person outside of the forum. If not, I really hope that when you become a police officer, you shape up. You're being a bully, and I don't like them much. If you insist on riding me, for no reason other than to evoke a reaction, I'll give you what you want. I will delete every post you make in GD, as well as lock and vault any thread where someone responds to you if I can't get to it fast enough. Your free time will be when I'm absent from the forum, during the days I'm away from my computer. I'll still lock everything when I get back. This will continue until you're gone or I lose my mod powers.

10. Arthur_Vaapeli

Arthur_Vaapeli New Member

11. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Gross, this is the internet, where physical prowess is irrelevant. Thus, if you are letting yourself be bullied, you are receiving your just fruits for acting like a bitch. Playing the victim will get you no sympathy around here, and you should know this by now. If you would man the fuck up and just ignore him, he would leave you alone. Instead, you respond to every one of his jabs with the internet equivalent of crying like a bitch, and you're only inviting more harassment.

12. Grossenschwamm

Yeah, after looking up similar situations on the rest of the internet, I realized that I'm feeding the situation. Using the fact that this is the internet does not excuse the actions, however. I did try to be civil. I offered him banana bread after the jab before he trolled my thread again. Before that I was just kindof rolling with it. It's not my fault he's bullying me though. Did I make things worse? Yes. But blaming me for the entire scenario is tantamount to saying a girl who wears revealing clothes deserves to be sexually harassed. I already have social deficits, and I was harassed constantly in school, as well as during the last time I worked a full time job. I'm not like you, Japes. You're a harder person than me, and I'm certain your time as a soldier only served to strengthen your resolve. However, before I could join the military (as I wanted to) I was diagnosed with diabetes and deemed too much of a liability to be trained. I'm sure if I had gone through military training as you and my best friend had, I'd be a stronger person, but that's not the only thing that can make a person strong. I have enough trouble seeing my own self worth, and while I have definitely improved over the past summer, I deal with a constant barrage of down-talk from my own mother, who doesn't want me wasting time on a "hobby" like sculpture, and insists the only way I can prove to her I can make it isn't by showing her how skilled I am, which I've done several times, but by selling a piece in a market that's really not interested a luxury like art by a man with essentially no name.
    And, unfortunately, I'm so dangerous to myself and others that I can't work any sort of job that involves repeated social interaction. That rules out pretty much any job I qualify for, because I had to drop out of school due to thoughts outside of my own intent to commit suicide. So you know what? I'm not mentally balanced, I'm not socially capable, and all of my "friends" have begun ignoring me, meaning I'm not in the best place right now and am incapable of rational reactions to someone with the protection of the internet making fun of me for trusting someone who made me laugh. I'm purely reactionary.
    I just thought if I asked for moderation in a story I wanted to finish, it would help somewhat. But you're right. There are no victims at Terra Arcanum, and dickheads are paragons of social ability.
    I also haven't eaten in about two days because my car won't start, nor have I been able to sleep properly for the past two months, so I'm having an awesome time.

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

14. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Those who are not self-motivated, for one.

Yeah, Zanza has really been giving trolling his all lately. Ever since his most recent ban, so has Smuel.

I liked this place better two weeks ago.

15. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

You've always been a bit of a pansy when it comes to conflict on this forum though.

16. TheDavisChanger

17. Grossenschwamm

Been here the whole time. Like a ninja, if ninjas were tall frenchmen with red beards who also have the internet.

18. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

So which one of you is the damsel and which one is the white knight?

19. Smuelissim0

Smuelissim0 New Member

Ooh! Can I be the damsel? Can I? Huh? Huh? Can I?

20. TheDavisChanger

Our Host!