Charismatic Tech Fighter - Character Creation

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Luj1, Jun 26, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Luj1

Luj1 New Member

Hi everybody. I am reinstalling this great game again, and i feel like playing a smithy/mechanical tech fighter with lots of followers. I didnt play Arcanum in years so i only vaguely remember the specifics.

As for race i think im gonna go with human male (classic). I always find it anoying how hard it is to find small or large sized armors

As for tech disciplines, i want to go with Smithy and Mechanical so i can build awesome stuff for my party. Plus i want to get charged rings (2 in electrical), healing salve (1 in herbalism), and molotov (1 in explosive). Is this a good idea? Is it viable?

The biggest help i need is with attributes i.e. str pe dex con. I want to be a fighter basicaly, but have above average cha for some nice followers. How should i allocate my atributes while having a charismatic tech fighter idea in mind?

PS Also feel free to include anything else i should know about playing this kind of character

PSS i plan to use latest official patch and drogs unooficial patch (for the first time!)

thanks in advance. Luka

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Some general advice:

Strength increases your melee damage and allows you to use heavier weapons without penalties. 20 Strength adds an especially devastating bonus to damage.

Dexterity increases speed (=quicker movement and more action points in turn based) and is needed for melee and unarmed. 20 Dexterity gives a fair additional bonus to speed.

Perception is a dump stat, unless you plan to be a gunslinger or a stealth type.

The initial Constitution of 8 or so is generally enough for anyone who isn't a mage.

Follower limit = Charisma/4, rounded down. Expert training in persuasion increases the limit by 1 follower.

Finding small/large armor is less of a chore with the UAP, since Drog restored some small and large armors which were left unused in the game files and added them to the stocks of appropriate smiths.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I still maintain that Constitution is a dump stat even for mages. Hard difficulty with a Con 4 mage? Perfectly doable; potions hardly cost anything as it is and once you add Haggle into the mix they're a negligible expenditure. Get yourself an arcane staff and well... all it means is a bit more micromanagement, that's all.

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

My inner mage can't help himself but interject: "Micromanagement is good for those science people, not for a master of the arcane who bends the universe to his will!"

Everyone to his taste, though. Personally, when playing a wizard, I like the satisfaction of being apocalypse incarnate even if stripped naked, unarmed and devoid of consumables, enough to pay for it with hard earned CPs.

I usually end up having >10 spare character points after investing into all the stats and spells I need to be an all-around mage anyway. Might as well spend them on being self-sufficient.

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    ... to which my inner dandy would retort; why be self-sufficient when you CAN have 20 BE?

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I ought to play such a character one day.

Orc Bandit: "Gimme 200 coin or I'll slit yer throat! Also, I love you."

7. Luj1

Luj1 New Member

Thanks. So seeing how Con and Pe are dump stats, i will leave them both at 8.

What about Str, Dex, Cha and Int though?

Str and Dex are important because i want to be a fighter basicaly, while Cha is important for followers (I remember i can get Dog and +1 from persuasion in any case). And how far should i take Int?

PS what background is good for this type of char?

8. Wims

Wims New Member

About IN stat, it depends on what you intend to do. You need sometimes 10 to speak about something with a NPC, sometimes 12, sometimes more... The quest of Ashburry Mayor requires a high INT and persuasion.

9. Luj1

Luj1 New Member

I meant in regards to tech disciplines... because i want to make a charismatic smithy/mechanical tech fighter with lots of followers and build awesome stuff for my party

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    Without spoiling too much, that would depend on how the liberal use of certain game mechanics sounds to you.

11. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard New Member

If I need more fatigue with a mage, I usually just skip CON and put a point in, you know, fatigue.

12. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Directly boosting health or fatigue always seemed a dreadful waste of the potential of character points to me. It hurts my heart to see my followers do such things. Would possibly understand it if instead of 4 HP/FP a single CP gave, say, 8 HP/FP in return.

13. Kierkegaard

Kierkegaard New Member

It boosts fatigue more quickly than CON. I would never directly boost HP, but fatigue I am content to give a push at character creation.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Still, I'd say 6 fatigue points and an additional +1 fatigue point/10 seconds regeneration boost is a better exchange for every 3 character points than 12 fatigue points and no regeneration boost.

15. friartuck

friartuck New Member

And to spoil slightly more, make sure that if you go this route, you buy in bulk before mages won't sell to you.

You should end up with at least 5 points of Dex you don't have to pay for, an absolute minimum of 1 in Cha, and considering your choice of goodies, at least 3 points of Str.

Buy any schematics you like as soon as you see them, particularly in your chosen disciplines, and remember you can buy tech manuals. Fire weapons are extraordinarily useful for melee characters, especially techies.

16. Luj1

Luj1 New Member

So how much should i put into Str, Dex, Cha and Int for this build during character creation? Thanks

17. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Pretty much what I'd do with any starting character is stick 1 point into DX and then two into melee (or your fighting skill of choice), 1 into dodge and 1 into something that will heal you (herbology 1 or necromantic white 1). These will cover you at the Crash Site.

If you're after a persuasive charismatic character then for levels 2-4 buy the next level of dodge, a point of persuasion (for the thieves at the bridge) and a point of CH so you can get Sogg on your team. If you find yourself lacking experience to get to level 4 a great way to do this is to continue down the gulley at the bottom of the Crash Site (don't go to world map) and there you'll find loads of wolves - these typically get me up a level. If you manage to reach level 5 stick both into Electricity so you can make some charged rings (no IN boost is required to purchase the first two levels in any tech discipline); you will always find a capacitor in the locked house next to Doc Robert's practice (plus no one minds you busting in there) and if you're lucky you'll get another capacitor either in the Bessie Toon Mine or from the metal container concealed behind some bushes right where you start at the Crash Site. Copper rings can be bought from Lloyd, found randomly, or pried from Lukan's cold dead fingers if you weren't feeling very persuasive after all. This gives you a nice +4 DX boost before even leaving Shrouded Hills.

This is all I can think of for a starting character, presumably you don't want people here to hold your hand through the entire game so you should be able to design a good build yourself for after Shrouded Hills. Level up ST when you feel like it, IN when you have a discipline you want to level and you don't have the IN for it (or liberally use some game mechanics if you're not bothered about IN as stated by many people so far), and DX when you feel it's time to up your combat skills (though charged rings will cover you for a while). Obviously blessings and equipment can negate the amount you have to put into these further, but if you're curious about this you should be able to find what you're looking for off gamebanshee or by running a search on this forum. Bear in mind that including the 5 at character creation you have 64 character points to spend over the course of the game (the max level being 50); this will allow you to know roughly what's possible and what's not in terms of what you want your end game character to have. Hope this was some help.

18. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Not necessary. Wise Women do not refuse trading with technologists.

19. Luj1

Luj1 New Member

Cant anyone tell me straight out the starting stats i should go with ?

Pe and Con i know should be 8, what about the rest?

20. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Can't you read? Or is my opinion not valid to you? Seriously people here have tried to help you as much as they can, I don't know what more you expect.

Our Host!