Arcanum Ghosting Glitch

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Harbringer, Apr 7, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Hey all, I recently purchased Arcanum off of GOG, but whenever I attempt to play, I receive a "oh-my-god-everything-stays-on-screen-forever-and-I'm-tired-of-my-background-description-flashing-back-to-Raised as a monk-in-an-endless-sea-of-mouse-cursors" ghosting graphical bug. I am playing on a Directx11, Windows 7 computer using the unofficial patch. If anybody has time to post an answer that would probably make me the background setting "Special Child," that would be super.

2. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Right-click on your Arcanum shortcut. Add space plus -no3d to the file path. Like so:
    "C:\Games\Arcanum\Arcanum.exe" -no3d

If I ever get around to updating the UAP, this option will be on by default. The hardware renderer in Arcanum causes numerous glitches on the majority of modern systems.

3. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

4. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

You gotta encase the game path and .exe in double quotation marks. Here's a screenshot of my shortcut in Steam library, but it's the exact same syntax for Windows shortcuts.

[​IMG]

Oh, and doublebuffer is a good command to use, too, if you experience slowdowns, especially when scrolling the screen.

5. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Okay, so it turns out that it seems to be more my computer than anything. When I double quote the target, it removes the quotes as soon as I hit apply. I've tried changing the permissions, running as admin, etc. Nothing seems to want to work. How would I be able to bypass...whatever it is windows is doing?

6. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

You could just ignore the shortcut and use the "Run" dialogue box or Total Commander to run the game with the appropriate parameters.

7. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Attempted both. Failed both. Seriously frustrating. Hmmmm, is there a configuration or ini that I could possibly rip apart and change in there?

8. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Basic Windows lessons. Only on Terra-Arcanum.

9. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Nope. This switch they're telling you to add is the fix you need. Are you an Admin on your machine?

10. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Yes. Also, attempted to run as an administrator, and also attempted to run it through the command prompt as an administrator, as I've had success using the exact same function to start at a certain level on Doom II, but unfortunately, to no avail here. Hmmm, is it possible that something, probably in my comp settings, is causing Arcanum to force the hardware engine regardless of my Appends on the command line?

Edit: This Exactly what it should look like when I type it in command prompt, correct?
    http://img717.imageshack.us/f/help2s.png/

11. symban

symban New Member

if Drog says the problem is -no3d then it is, but just incase try this (my system is running on that)

arcanum.exe -doublebuffer

hope it helps

12. Arnor

Arnor New Member

Hi

The solution is to disable Crossfire / SLI before playing the game, or create a profile without for the game.
    In my case no need at all of -no3d switch.

I experienced same glitches with other games like Planescape Tornment but a Direct3D fix exists, now I know I only needed to disable my Crossfire. Spread the word!

I just took half the night to figure it out, now I can play the other half :lol:

Our Host!