Problem with Ancient God Quest offering item

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by symban, Mar 13, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. symban

symban New Member

The elven god offering Li'tani which is sold in Ashbury by an elf trader is no more avaliable to me. When I first met him thought I can come back and buy when I need it, but now with my 95 TA he does not speak with me at all.

This is the initial step of the ancient god quest so I have to get that offering item. Problem is;

I cannot pickpocket him with fate point as it is in his stash.

I cannot steal from his chest as he is similar to junk dealer in Tarant. Never sleeps never goes away, always stands near stash.

I cannot break into the stash without prowling neither it is next to Tavern and Docks, always there are NPCs around and they would become aggresive.

I dont have any thieving skills, prowling, and no magic at all (cant dominate will) and no haggling. I am 95 TA and 18 CHA. Still not back from Quintarra so not master in persuasion yet, will master persuasion let me speak with them? or is there any other way of getting the item than;

make everyone wait far > fast turn based mode on (many DEX bonus on for extra speed) > prowling On > near stash fate point unlock & get offering > move away in same turn > prowling and turn base Off. This is the last resort if there is any other way I would like to do it legit, thanks.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Nope, it won't change a thing. Casting Shrink spell on yourself would, but I'm guessing your tech character can't do that.

Since the merchant in the only source of Li'tani in vanilla and there's no way to buy the statue with such a high tech aptitude, the only choice at the moment is stealing it, one way or another.

My suggestion would be bashing the merchant's chest with a thrown weapon/gun/bow/explosive from a safe distances until it breaks and then quickly grabbing the statue before anyone else does.

Happened to me in my first tech playthrough. Did the above and left some coin for the stolen statue and the ruined chest in the merchant's stash.

3. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

It works very well to plant a dynamite while sneaking in a location where nobody detects you. Then once it blows up, switch to turn-based and move towards the item pile. I usually steal the Jewel of Hebe from the Panarii Temple this way.

4. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

You can exploit a bug. Buy/find a summon scroll somewhere. Any will do. Summon something, then talk to the trader, this will override his "I don't deal with technologists" dialog.

You can also use a Stillwater Sword.

5. symban

symban New Member

thanks alot Drog that was totally what I was looking for most appreciated.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

That trick doesn't work with the elven trader in question - summons scare him rather than impress/intrigue him like they do with magickal merchants.

The Stillwater Blade in particular would be useless in this case in a twofold manner: firstly because 95 TA is far too much to be able to summon an animal with it and secondly because summoned animals do not seem to affect any merchants, neither positively nor negatively.

7. symban

symban New Member

that is most disappointing to hear, I guess I will do the following as last resort;

-Hushed revolver, turn base mode, prowling > destroy stash chest

-wait for greedy followers to loot the grounded items all (you can not imagine the greed of vollinger, for some reason he travels even a few screens far away to grab a poppy flower)

really dont want to use a fate point on this occasion and really regretting not getting the item when I had low TA and avaliable..

8. hal900x

hal900x New Member

So does the Shrink spell work by making you temporarily "magickal" while under it's effect? Is that why such a spell works for this situation?

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The Shrink spell works because of a bug - the "Awww, you're so tiny, wanna trade stuff?" dialogue overrides the "Holy cow, you're extremely tech, get away from my precious goods!".

The Shrink trick works for all merchants and in both "magickal character in a tech shop" and "tech character in a magickal shop" situations, though how often do tech chars have access to that spell.

10. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Aren't there some shrink scrolls in the world? Although they may be a part of randomized loot.

11. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

The Shrink bug can be rationalized by pretending it shrinks magick / technological aura as well :)

12. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Scrolls don't come in randomized loot. They can only be found in fixed places and bought in magickal shops.

As for the Shrink scroll in particular, the only way to obtain one - other than buying it - that I recall is receiving it as a reward from Pollock if you tell him you're a magickal character.

Such a scroll would be of no use to a highly technological character, anyway. It's unusable for a character with ≥59 tech aptitude (0% magickal power available).

13. NotDedYet

NotDedYet New Member

Actually that is a falsehood. There are more idols for sale. They are simply sold in Quintarra. I could go load my game to double check as it has been awhile but I do recall one of the traders there selling some. Most Quintarra traders do not have a TA check as they're located in a magic hot spot that could easily quell your pithy technological knowhow.

14. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

thanks for the shrink dialogue bug! Man, I just keep learning something new about arcanum all the time!

ps - Ellumyn certainly sells l'itani in my version.

15. symban

symban New Member

thanks both! will go there in no time to check. by the way for anyone interested in similar problems with magic sellers, I have a tech version of dominate will schematic now (uses herbology and chemistry) unfortunately havent noted the location I obtained it..

16. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Elixier of Hypnotic Suggestion? I don't remember where you get it, exactly, might be in Tarant sewers.

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

It uses therapeutics and chemistry and it's in those sewers alright. The restricted part, to be exact.

Actually that is a falsehood. The Elven Trader in Ashbury is the only one selling li'tani statues in vanilla Arcanum. I know, I checked InvenSource.mes.

Any mods or hacks installed?

18. NotDedYet

NotDedYet New Member

I don't have my character that far right now but it was either Ellumyn or Whysper who did. I'll be able to verify that later. However the fact the trader was elven carrying an idol to an elven diety selling goods at port should lead you to believe he is from Quintarra selling goods abroad.

Fairly sure on that it was either of those two who had a supply besides the trader. I just have to make it past wheel clan with this orcish gentleman to test this theory.

19. symban

symban New Member

So far no lil'tani for sale in Qintarra. I might have to pull some dirty tricks..

20. moonlight

moonlight Member

actually I remember ellumyn to be the one who sells it too . it happened in one of my games.

Our Host!