New Arcanum Portraits

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by DRMProd, Jan 23, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DRMProd

DRMProd New Member

Here I'll be posting the portraits I'm making. I'm taking the guys from this page: http://www.civilwarphotos.net/files/usos.htm and using some photoshop magic, they get transformed into something similar to the original portraits... I hope :D

Here they are [EDIT] I'll be adding them here as well as in a new post:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's a comparison to see the transformation:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I hope you like it, and also wanna see a lot of comments, particularly constructive criticism, it's the only way to learn. :)

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

This looks very good! They're nearly flawless in my opinion. I think the hair should've looked like in the original picture. It looks kind of odd right now.

3. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Those are pretty damn good actually. I like them a lot. The facial hair especially looks great.

If you're going for a close a match as possible to the originals the only criticism I could offer would be that the skins tones (and everything really) seem really....smooth. I know it's mostly an artifact of the old-style, washed-out source pictures, but that's the only thing that catches my eye.

For the dude in your original post, his forehead seems to be silky smooth, where a man of his age would have some lines there.

Again, nitpicks. Overall it looks quite nice. I'd use a pack containing pictures like these for my character!

4. Pixote

Pixote New Member

Beautiful work DRMProd - What was your colouring technique - Photoshop airbrushing!

Another potential head - Portrait of General Ambrose E. Burnside - what a head.
    [​IMG]

5. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Ambrose Burnside is already in the game.
    [​IMG]

6. symban

symban New Member

First of all I want to congratulate you for these successful results, looking forward to your new works. Maybe you may focus on more races like Half-Ogres, Half-Orcs, Dwarves as well.

Also must congratulate Drog for his perception (or his mechanic skill for the Eye Gear to what he owes this notice) indeed, when checked the civilwar photos I found myself like viewing artworks for arcanum. Even can tell which ones are Half-Orcs, Half-Ogres and dwarves. Even noticed a half-elf already. I will spend more time on the photos when I have time till then looking forward to your portrait pack sir.

7. Nekrocow

Nekrocow New Member

They are really cool. May I make a suggestion? They would look even cooler if you could make them look more like a drawing (I mean, like the in-game pics). Specially the first, the second is already cool enough to blend with the other avatars :)

8. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Very good, but since you ask for constructive criticism, the second chap's nose is made too large compared to his photo, unless you're aiming to turn him into a gnome.

That's the only critique I can make... Well done.

9. DRMProd

DRMProd New Member

10. Nekrocow

Nekrocow New Member

11. Pixote

Pixote New Member

I think your approach is good DRMProd...I personally found some of the original portraits somewhat flaky (more so the female portraits), the images your have made come across as more naturalistic. Could you place a slight sepia tone over one design, for a comparison, and see how it looks. I'm curious if the images can be made to looks older, weathered.

From what I seen, these would make excellent portraits for Arcanum.

12. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

As much as I like the face on that third portrait, I'm not a big fan of the hair. It looks somewhat unnatural, plastic, like if it would be borrowed from a 3D anime.

13. DRMProd

DRMProd New Member

@ Pixote: Thanks! I'll try making one look old and see if looks any good.

@ Muro: I was actually waiting for someone to say that! You see, I wasn't convinced of that hair either. It'll go away, I promise :p

14. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

In case you're trying to make a half-ogre portrait, please keep in mind that they're always bald.

15. Arthur_Vaapeli

Arthur_Vaapeli New Member

^Maybe it's a wig xP

I think if you're going to make a half-ogre, make him pale, but not like a vampire, just pale. Ok?

16. symban

symban New Member

anyone gone over these civil war photos? I cant stop myself been looking at these Arcanum artworks from real life for hours by now.

One thing I found most interesting is that, some of them are literally gnomes / halflings / dwarves. Never thought they got extinct in civil war, always assumed they were folk tales.

and I have one suggestion on the wig of the orc portrait. His original photo shows whites in his hair, why take that out? I believe it would fit him well with a little age, but you are the one putting all the hardwork, so if you decide him to go platinium blonde then he will be so without any further question *nods in agreement*

may I ask the tools you used in PS btw? I may aid myself for making some in your work in my freetime.

17. DRMProd

DRMProd New Member

Well, mainly what I use are some hue/saturation masks, levels, regular brushes, and what I think is the most important, the burn/dodge tool. Perhaps the next picture should be accompanied by a tutorial of some kind? What do you think?

18. DaneKoponen

DaneKoponen Member

Hey sorry to go off topic for a moment here but...

what.

19. Nekrocow

Nekrocow New Member

Some people just don't understand the "dwarven" part on Dwarven Snuff.

Maxing dodge can never be a bad idea!

I don't know how to use Photoshop, but it would be nice for those who wanna give this a try :)

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Sometimes it gets you blinded with a sword, though.

Our Host!