How do I lower my alignment

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Krycek, Jan 13, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Krycek

Krycek New Member

My Alignment is at 55 (Good).
    I'd like to take Geoffrey in my party. What can I do?

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

In order to recruit Mr Tarellond-Ashe, one needs to either be a persuasion master (yet by that time that happens the difference between the PC's level and Geoffrey's would be quite significant) or have an alignment of 0 or lower.

Here are some tips to help you achieve the latter starting from a alignment as high as your own:
    • Complete evil quests and chose evil dialogue lines.
    • Kill NPCs with positive alignments (and when your own drops below 0, kill NPCs with higher alignment than your own).
    • Insult beggars up to the point when they attack you (alignment drop for each insult and you eventually get to kill an innocent too).
    • Steal a lot.
    • Wear a Dark Helm. With the UAP it gives you a -20 to alignment at +20 when worn (with 100% MPA). If you're playing without the UAP, though, it gives you a permanent -20 to alignment (and +20 MA) each time you equip it - easy to go down to -100 in a few seconds.
    There's an easy way to convert even from +100 to -100 in no time (as long as you don't have 100% tech aptitude) but that would be a rather end game tip and I'm guessing those wouldn't be very helpful at the moment.

If anything else fails and you still want to have Geoffrey in your party and cheating is not out of the question for you, you can lower your alignment with a character editor or the Virgil's Debug Menu hack.

3. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

As if you would cheat, bad Muro bad!

4. Krycek

Krycek New Member

What? Really? How does this work?

All the other options are kinda not possible as I don't want to go on a killing spree / I play with the latest UAP (Dark Helm) / evil quests are often "killing spree" quests...

The other option which I thought of is:
    1) insult a beggar until he almost wants to attack me
    2) force a good reaction with a fate point
    3) repeat 1
    4) repeat 2

This seems quite pricy though.
    :lol:

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Oh just make fun of the homeless guy a bunch and then kill one or two. It's good for the city. Really.

6. Krycek

Krycek New Member

Some testing I did today showed that 0 is not low enough. -1 works.
    Sadly -1 is also the mark where Magnus leaves the group.

7. DaneKoponen

DaneKoponen Member

And this is a bad thing how? Despite good voice acting, everything he says is annoying. Honestly, its really just best to kill him for his outspoken obnoxiousness.

Trust me :)

8. Sorg

Sorg Member

I just leave him where he is until i'm about to enter the Iron Clan.
    I bring him along (at lvl 8 :p) to complete his quest and get the ending scene!

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Naughty Muro deserves some serious spanking.

On a more serious note, I never said I approve of all the advice I give to people.

Each successful theft lowers your alignment by one fifth of a point.

0 worked for me previously but I just tested it now and it was indeed too noble for Geoffrey. Must have had something between 0 and -1 (still displayed as 0) at the time I tested it in the past.

10. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

The alignment actually goes from -1000 to 1000, but is displayed with one less 0 to the player.

11. DaneKoponen

DaneKoponen Member

Interesting. Are there any game events dependent on an alignment exceeding the visible range?

12. Krycek

Krycek New Member

Thanks. I never would have figured this out on my own as I tend to neglect the thieving aspects of the game.

But for future referece it's actually more like one tenth of a point. At least when stealing money with the latest UAP, as I found out today.

That's actually very clever. I will probably do this in my next game.

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I think it's neither what you said nor what I did. I did some additional tests and while in one it took me 5 - 10 thefts to lower an alignment by a single displayed point, in another it got lowered by a whole one by each following theft. The matter seems to be more complicated than a simple "1 theft = a fixed decrease to alignment", additional parameters may play a role here. Either that or the decrease is simply random.

I'll probably test this further some time later to appease my curiosity (unless someone provides the answers earlier), but the important thing at the moment is that stealing can indeed be used to decrease alignment.

Amusingly enough, since planting doesn't seem to affect alignment in any way, stealing an item, planting it back and repeating the procedure over and over again would be enough to get from +100 to -100, effectively beeing the reverse give-money-to-beggars option.

14. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I always thought planting was harmless, because normally I'd be giving good items to random people. Are you telling me planting is just as bad as stealing?

15. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

On the contrary. If anything, I think planting an item should increase alignment by the same value by which stealing that very item decreases it.

That way the alignment effects of stealing and planting back an item would negate themselves (no more becoming Mr Super Evil just by stealing and replanting a single item over and over again), plus being a steampunk Santa and dropping money into pockets of strangers would actually be an effective way to increase alignment. The alignment-for-money exchange thing is already there in the form of beggars, so rather than being a new idea this would be but a new and interesting way to express it.

The effect should, of course, be reversed for harmful items such as hexed gear.

16. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Oh, I love that idea! Now I'm more interested in working with you guys on something. If I can learn how to code that, I'll be happy, and maybe i'll figure out how to make my character come up in the game.

17. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Interesting thing about Magnus and the ending scene:

You don't need to discover the Iron Clan with or without Magnus to trigger that ending. Simply help Magnus with the Schylers, leave him (or never take him along at all), kill the dwarves king(s) and watch fate work its magic.

I haven't tried this in any recent playthrough, but it has always worked before (Vanilla Arcanum).

18. DarkFool

Sweet! This'll get me an alignment bonus every time I plant a cursed item on people! :D

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Missed the bottom line of that post, didn't you, now?

20. DarkFool

Nope, just trying to prove a point.

Our Host!